GDT: Preseason Game #1 | Detroit Red Wings at Pittsburgh Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I love listening to Johnston speak. Beautiful analysis of the game. Rossi's question is so ****ing stupid but his answer was genius. In the new NHL, you cannot just simply hit the half-wall and go to the center on a breakout. Teams take over the boards and turn the puck over. Boston is supreme at doing that. Detroit, in 08/09, did the same. So talking about the options of a back-side defender that stays int he middle AND the center for support is nice. That's a lot of support in case of a turnover.

Just beautiful stuff. I really hope the players buy into the coaching staff because Johnston knows his ****.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd say Dats is done. Never be the same again.

We'll give you Scuds, Adams and Dupuis's leg braces right now for #13.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Some of Bennett's thoughts:

"With Coach Dan, I wish him all the best, but as a young guy, it was a little different,†Bennett said. “You’re definitely held accountable with anyone, to a certain extent, but as an offensive guy, you could make a mistake last year and that could be it for your game.
To be able to come to the bench and have a positive influence say, ‘Try this next time’ or ‘Do something better’ rather than putting you down or giving you the death stare. It’s good either way, because it keeps you accountable, but I think the positivity will go a long way.â€

http://citizensvoice.com/sports/bennett-excited-for-fresh-start-1.1757651

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
"In terms of numbers, how many options would you like your defensemen to have?"

What kind of question is this? I don't know, Rob. 3. Not 2, not 4 - 3 and 3 only.

That's like asking how many goals you want to score. As many as possible an enough that is necessary.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Scuds was terrible tonight but that was a great hit.

Disagree. It's the result of poor gap control and that's also an interference penalty 90% of the time.

Scuderi is done. He serves no purpose on this team other than to drag it down. **** you Shero.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think I like Scuderi a little more for that hit on Datsyuk, mostly because the idiots on the main board act like Pavel was this damn good his entire career and that he never developed into a solid player under the guidance of legends like Yzerman, Larionov, and Fedorov (which actually happened). So screw him, I hope he's done. If that makes me a dick, I will embrace my inner Steigerwald.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some of Bennett's thoughts:

"With Coach Dan, I wish him all the best, but as a young guy, it was a little different,†Bennett said. “You’re definitely held accountable with anyone, to a certain extent, but as an offensive guy, you could make a mistake last year and that could be it for your game.
To be able to come to the bench and have a positive influence say, ‘Try this next time’ or ‘Do something better’ rather than putting you down or giving you the death stare. It’s good either way, because it keeps you accountable, but I think the positivity will go a long way.â€

http://citizensvoice.com/sports/bennett-excited-for-fresh-start-1.1757651

It's nice to see someone that was in that room, basically confirm what we all had thought about Dan's treatment of the kids on the team.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I think I like Scuderi a little more for that hit on Datsyuk, mostly because the idiots on the main board act like Pavel was this damn good his entire career and that he never developed into a solid player under the guidance of legends like Yzerman, Larionov, and Fedorov (which actually happened). So screw him, I hope he's done. If that makes me a dick, I will embrace my inner Steigerwald.

Embrace the dick, but also know that we have 8 defencemen who are better at hockey than Scuderi. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Embrace the dick, but also know that we have 8 defencemen who are better at hockey than Scuderi. :laugh:

I sleep better at night knowing that this is the Mike Johnston era and that if a guy doesn't work well in his system, he will use someone else that is and also that Scuderi will basically play himself off the team because his #1 fans are looking for jobs still and he just can't seem to figure out a way to be useful.

Still passing into players skates? - Check
Still collapsing in front of the goaltender hindering movement? - Check
Still default move of dropping to his knees hoping the puck hits him and taking himself out of the play? - Check
Still being bad at supporting the puck-handler? - Check
Still terrible at the breakout play? - Check

Scuderi keeps on Scuderin'.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I hope they are either trying to make Scuderi look good enough so some other team wants to trade for him, or they are trying to get him injured again to get some sweet, sweet LTIR cap relief.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Disagree. It's the result of poor gap control and that's also an interference penalty 90% of the time.

Scuderi is done. He serves no purpose on this team other than to drag it down. **** you Shero.

That play is legal 99% of the time. Reaching for the puck that was still there made him fair game. Maybe had he chipped the puck down the boards more.

Give him a chance since it is only pre-season game number one with all the changes made. If he's reduced to bottom pairing minutes he'll be in his element.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks

Poor gap control???? Interference??? What play are you watching? Datsyuk carried the puck into the zone... and was trying to "one arm it" around Scuds and he got cleanly stood up. Look I'm in agreement that Scuds was absolutely awful last year, but I was at the game last night and he was far from terrible. Not sure why the lynch mob is out after one preseason game in which Beau Bennett and Hornqvist were our best offensive players in the line up. Chill guys...geeez!!!

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Very impressive showings from Bennett and Hornqvist. Very encouraging.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
I sleep better at night knowing that this is the Mike Johnston era and that if a guy doesn't work well in his system, he will use someone else that is and also that Scuderi will basically play himself off the team because his #1 fans are looking for jobs still and he just can't seem to figure out a way to be useful.

Still passing into players skates? - Check
Still collapsing in front of the goaltender hindering movement? - Check
Still default move of dropping to his knees hoping the puck hits him and taking himself out of the play? - Check
Still being bad at supporting the puck-handler? - Check
Still terrible at the breakout play? - Check

Scuderi keeps on Scuderin'.

The problem is the coaches still seem determin to keep him on a top pairing. He's being paired with Letang at practices and Martin for this game. heck, he was even given the "A" for last night's game.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Not to be a Debbie Downer but pretty much every one of those links for streaming the game were riddled with malware...

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

Did Datsyuk send your kid to the gulags or something? :huh: Datsyuk had four years of peg-legged Yzerman and two years of Fedorov and Larionov.

Scuderi should be thrown out of the league

If we have to keep Dan Cleary, you guys have to keep Scuderi.

darkbrew*

was it last year or the one before that kunitz had an extremely slow start and people were saying hes done for? he turned it around after 20 games and got very hot. hes not a guy to worry about

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hello! Not watching the game.

How does my boyfriend look?

Winner :handclap:

Fat Simon *I mean* fast Simon looked great out there.

Bennet was solid and I am so glad he can just work through his mistakes now, like that penalty. People talk about Kapanen but Bennett was drafted higher, and more improtantly is ready *right now* and looks like a legitimate top 6 player at the moment, if and only if he can stay healthy...and that wrist as of right now is looking fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad