Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #1: BRUINS 2 New Jersey 0

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I just hope not, I have higher hopes for Carlo and Colin and it would mean one of them would have busted and don't like that.
We are also a top pairing RD short so either we are not going to be contenders for years or one of Trotman/Colin has to go at the end of next year, or what happens when Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara join the fight for 1 D spot.
Doesn't have a spot on my top4.

Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara are going to have to deal with Chara, Seidenberg, Krug, Morrow and even Grzelak.

The only RHD aside from C. Miller is Carlo. Carlo hopefully becomes a rich-man's Trotman. Maybe more. That would be awesome. Carlo, as a big defensive defenseman, also might take 3 or 4 years to get to the pro-roster. Like when McQuaid is gone. The log jam at LHD is far more of a thing than worrying about Trotman using up a RHD spot, especially given that a solid right handed #4D could certainly have trade value if Carlo forces his way onto the roster early...which would be awesome.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Colin Miller truly is as skilled as the reports suggest and his issue is "defensive awareness", why can't he be viewed in the same light as Pastrnak last season? We badly needed speed and offense, so despite the fact his all-around game had warts and he wasn't physically "ready", he played because his talent was so sorely needed.

Now I realize defense is a position where holes are more easily exposed, but if this isn't a perfect reason to pay Chara what we do I have no idea what is. Bourque had to carry Sweeney, Gill and McLaren until they were ready. I think it's time big Z get a project. Put Trotman with Seidenberg since he's more ready and Seids needs a better partner than Z does, and give Z Colin Miller. Put Miller in that spot and play him til he loses the spot.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Colin Miller truly is as skilled as the reports suggest and his issue is "defensive awareness", why can't he be viewed in the same light as Pastrnak last season? We badly needed speed and offense, so despite the fact his all-around game had warts and he wasn't physically "ready", he played because his talent was so sorely needed.

Now I realize defense is a position where holes are more easily exposed, but if this isn't a perfect reason to pay Chara what we do I have no idea what is. Bourque had to carry Sweeney, Gill and McLaren until they were ready. I think it's time big Z get a project. Put Trotman with Seidenberg since he's more ready and Seids needs a better partner than Z does, and give Z Colin Miller. Put Miller in that spot and play him til he loses the spot.

Like they should have with Hamilton last year, I'd rather play Miller against less difficult people to defend and let him go do his thing where mistakes are against Mayson Raymond instead of Malkin.

Its how Chicago uses Duncan Keith. I'm not even saying Miller is worse defensively than Trotman. It doesn't matter. I just don't want him to be as worried about making aggressive mistakes as he would be against the guys Chara lines up against.

Give Miller easier zone starts. Play him against 2nd and 3rd lines. Let him rack up points. Let Trotman play safe against the big offensive stars and try to keep the shots to the outside.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara are going to have to deal with Chara, Seidenberg, Krug, Morrow and even Grzelak.

The only RHD aside from C. Miller is Carlo. Carlo hopefully becomes a rich-man's Trotman. Maybe more. That would be awesome. Carlo, as a big defensive defenseman, also might take 3 or 4 years to get to the pro-roster. Like when McQuaid is gone. The log jam at LHD is far more of a thing than worrying about Trotman using up a RHD spot, especially given that a solid right handed #4D could certainly have trade value if Carlo forces his way onto the roster early...which would be awesome.

This didn't explain much, next offseason (latest) we have to find a top pairing D if we want to compete (which you missed in your post so I guess you don't want us to compete or believe we can compete with Trotman on the 1st pairing?), leaving 1 roster spot available, one of Colin or Trotman is out or we won't be competing and are just playing some hockey.
What happens when Carlo/Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara/Lauzon are fighting for 3rd pairing spots next offseason?Atleast 2-3 will be fighting next offseason.
Ship Trotman and Seids out is my answer.

There also is no reason for left handed D's to play just on the left side, ice the best roster possible.

Like they should have with Hamilton last year, I'd rather play Miller against less difficult people to defend and let him go do his thing where mistakes are against Mayson Raymond instead of Malkin.

Its how Chicago uses Duncan Keith. I'm not even saying Miller is worse defensively than Trotman. It doesn't matter. I just don't want him to be as worried about making aggressive mistakes as he would be against the guys Chara lines up against.

Give Miller easier zone starts. Play him against 2nd and 3rd lines. Let him rack up points. Let Trotman play safe against the big offensive stars and try to keep the shots to the outside.

Playoffs?

Trotman has to step up or I don't believe he can do what you expect him to do.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This didn't explain much, next offseason (latest) we have to find a top pairing D if we want to compete (which you missed in your post so I guess you don't want us to compete?), leaving 1 roster spot available, one of Colin or Trotman is out or we won't be competing and are just playing some hockey.
What happens when Carlo/Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara/Lauzon are fighting for 3rd pairing spots next offseason?Atleast 2-3 will be fighting next offseason.
Ship Trotman and Seids out is my answer.

There also is no reason for left handed D's to play just on the left side, ice the best roster possible.

And here is the thing. You have already decided that Trotman is the guy you want to ship out, and my counter is to tap the breaks and say "hey, he has a lot of things going for him for being a steady middle pairing RHD to pair with our more offensive minded prospects in the long term, and with Chara in the short term. I think he can do it, lets see.".

I think you are severely over-estimating the NHL readiness of a lot of the D prospects. Arnesson, just like Trotman, projects to hopefully be a middle pairing guy. O'Gara is probably a McQuaid type. Neither will step in their rookie year and be that. Zboril, I think, will be awesome, but he will be getting the Hamilton rookie treatment next season at best, and won't be an effective player, likely, until a year after that. Carlo and Lauzon are years away. Trotman on the second pairing probably has you closer to contender status next year than any of those guys.

Maybe Trotman sucks. Its totally possible. He isn't physical as he should be and with the spot light on last night his mental makeup could come into question. Of course, its only one preseason game. And while I have been a person who vocally has argued to play him with Chara, I don't LOVE him by any means. But, deciding that he is the guy you want to ship out already just doesn't make sense to me.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And here is the thing. You have already decided that Trotman is the guy you want to ship out, and my counter is to tap the breaks and say "hey, he has a lot of things going for him for being a steady middle pairing RHD to pair with our more offensive minded prospects in the long term, and with Chara in the short term. I think he can do it, lets see.".

I think you are severely over-estimating the NHL readiness of a lot of the D prospects. Arnesson, just like Trotman, projects to hopefully be a middle pairing guy. O'Gara is probably a McQuaid type. Neither will step in their rookie year and be that. Zboril, I think, will be awesome, but he will be getting the Hamilton rookie treatment next season at best, and won't be an effective player, likely, until a year after that. Carlo and Lauzon are years away. Trotman on the second pairing probably has you closer to contender status next year than any of those guys.

Maybe Trotman sucks. Its totally possible. He isn't physical as he should be and with the spot light on last night his mental makeup could come into question. Of course, its only one preseason game. And while I have been a person who vocally has argued to play him with Chara, I don't LOVE him by any means. But, deciding that he is the guy you want to ship out already just doesn't make sense to me.

Where's this coming from?
I'm talking potential 3rd pairing D's next offseason, for example O'Gara and Arnesson.

You still make it sound like we can be contenders without getting that top pairing D or you prefer Trotman over Colin.
Which one is it?

And currently Trotman is my guy out, currently.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I think Trotman projects to be a #6-7, but that's just me.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Where's this coming from?
I'm talking potential 3rd pairing D's next offseason, for example O'Gara and Arnesson.

You still make it sound like we can be contenders without getting that top pairing D or you prefer Trotman over Colin.
Which one is it?

And currently Trotman is my guy out, currently.

I'd love to get a true top pairing guy. And if that can't happen (likely) I prefer Trotman over Colin right now playing with Chara, because I think playing elsewhere puts Colin in a better chance to succeed.

If we do get a top pairing D on the right side, I think Trotman being out over Miller certainly makes sense. I just don't see where that D comes from unless you are cool with Buff (which I would be, TBH)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

My exact thoughts. Nice post.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd love to get a true top pairing guy. And if that can't happen (likely) I prefer Trotman over Colin right now playing with Chara, because I think playing elsewhere puts Colin in a better chance to succeed.

If we do get a top pairing D on the right side, I think Trotman being out over Miller certainly makes sense. I just don't see where that D comes from unless you are cool with Buff (which I would be, TBH)

Right now I'd be Okay with Yandle signing, would fit the vision and with our drafting we would make it work, but no to a 7y deal.
One of the best offensive bluelines in the league with great D-zone exits, while also having 3-4strong defensive D-players.

Would yoy agree that Colin earned a shot with Chara in the pre season?
He wasn't just offensive D-player as some thought he would be and danger in the D-zone, to me he is a mix of JB/Hamilton and could work well with Chara.

And Trotman needs to earn his 1st pairing job, right now we are just gifting it to him without earning, something I don't like.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Right now I'd be Okay with Yandle signing, would fit the vision and with our drafting we would make it work, but no to a 7y deal.
One of the best offensive bluelines in the league with great D-zone exits, while also having 3-4strong defensive D-players.

He wasn't just offensive D-player as some thought he would be and danger in the D-zone, to me he is a mix of JB/Hamilton and could work well with Chara.

And Trotman needs to earn his 1st pairing job, right now we are just gifting it to him without earning, something I don't like.

Everyone deserves a shot in the preseason, and if Miller can make that kind of jump, that would be awesome. But I think defending against a NJD squad that was sporting 1 NHL line last night is very very very very different than matching up with Chara against Backstrom and Ovi. I want Miller to be able to be aggressive and join the rush and have as few of his over aggressive forays end up back in our net as possible. As he gains maturity, maybe he can be a guy that brings offense and plays top minutes, but I doubt that will happen right away. (Can we just take a moment to recognize for the 1000th time how AWESOME the Lucic return was?!)

What does your Yandle lineup look like? Something like...

Chara C.Miller
Yandle XXX
Krug McQuaid

That XXX guy is probably better off being someone who is defensively responsible and can play on the PK. And hopefully doesn't treat the puck like a grenade. Maybe thats Trotman. Maybe its Seidenberg. Maybe its someone else. I'd be cool with Yandle, too, but you sure do make it harder for Zboril, Arnesson, Morrow, O'Gara, etc by saying you can only make the NHL on your offside.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Everyone deserves a shot in the preseason, and if Miller can make that kind of jump, that would be awesome. But I think defending against a NJD squad that was sporting 1 NHL line last night is very very very very different than matching up with Chara against Backstrom and Ovi. I want Miller to be able to be aggressive and join the rush and have as few of his over aggressive forays end up back in our net as possible. As he gains maturity, maybe he can be a guy that brings offense and plays top minutes, but I doubt that will happen right away. (Can we just take a moment to recognize for the 1000th time how AWESOME the Lucic return was?!)

What does your Yandle lineup look like? Something like...

Chara C.Miller
Yandle XXX
Krug McQuaid

That XXX guy is probably better off being someone who is defensively responsible and can play on the PK. And hopefully doesn't treat the puck like a grenade. Maybe thats Trotman. Maybe its Seidenberg. Maybe its someone else. I'd be cool with Yandle, too, but you sure do make it harder for Zboril, Arnesson, Morrow, O'Gara, etc by saying you can only make the NHL on your offside.

And yet in a same game Trotman was struggling, that worries me a lot more than Colin succeeding against Jersey. Why should this be looked at other way around, that this makes you question how Colin will do against better teams but not how Trotman will do?
If the 2 open spots go to Irwin and Trotman I would lose it.

Chara-Yandle
Zboril/Seids/Arnesson/O'Gara- Colin
Krug-/McQuaid/Carlo

find the right partners from that.

or
Chara-C.Miller
Yandle- Seids/O'Gara/x
Krug-McQuaid/x

Would be helpfull if we could give O'Gara some games this season already and get him ready for fulltime job in 16-17 season, he should be pretty fully develop after his school is over.

And yes I'm a huge fan of Lucic trade, millions savings and these prospects and yet some are saying it was a bad trad for us.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this place bums me out. So much negativity and bickering; really makes me not want to post much.

all I'll say is that I loved what I saw overall. This squad was really fun to watch and had a lot of jam. this organization is going to have a ton of sandpaper mixed in with skill and speed in the next couple of years. If the opening night lineup can emulate the style of play we saw last night then I am all-in with this team.

One small, specific observation...holy crap I love Jimmy Hayes. Dude is huge and is *much* quicker than I was led to believe. Skates really well for a guy his size and seemed to have no trouble keeping up with Spooner. I think the Smith/Hayes trade is going to look like a huge win a year from now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You don't think they're going to try Koko on the wing again?

Now's the time to try again.

Personally, I think that KoKo is probably better suited to the wing than Spooner, but I have no idea how the B's FO feels about a possible move. Also, if they were to move him, I thought he played a little LW in the past, but could be wrong. A lot of the Euro guys play the off side.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
this place bums me out. So much negativity and bickering; really makes me not want to post much.

all I'll say is that I loved what I saw overall. This squad was really fun to watch and had a lot of jam. this organization is going to have a ton of sandpaper mixed in with skill and speed in the next couple of years. If the opening night lineup can emulate the style of play we saw last night then I am all-in with this team.

One small, specific observation...holy crap I love Jimmy Hayes. Dude is huge and is *much* quicker than I was led to believe. Skates really well for a guy his size and seemed to have no trouble keeping up with Spooner. I think the Smith/Hayes trade is going to look like a huge win a year from now.

It's called passion :laugh: for winning.

Hayes said he would lose weight a bit and be ready to play a faster style.

But does anyone know how Morrow looks like?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Amen, great post

I was a fan of Hayes last night too and did notice the speed. I think he's going to be playing with purpose this season and I like putting him with spooner because he needs a good set up man, spooner needs a big guy, and it will force Hayes to skate hard

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What's Zboril's projection / comparable / ceiling?

I think it's really hard to project 18 year old D. I think when you are talking about a top 5 or top 10 guy you'd like to think they are top pair material, but a bunch of guys taken in those spots haven't reached that.

For what it's worth Future Considerations had him 20th and described him as "top 4 2 way dman".

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Amen, great post

I was a fan of Hayes last night too and did notice the speed. I think he's going to be playing with purpose this season and I like putting him with spooner because he needs a good set up man, spooner needs a big guy, and it will force Hayes to skate hard

He played with a purpose last year. He may have a breakout year but that's because he's at that age when it happens. I don't think Florida was holding him back in anyway or that there's something here that will unleash him.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
You don't think they're going to try Koko on the wing again?

Now's the time to try again.
Agreed, especially because Connolly seems to be a wild card going into the season. I'd like to see Khokhlachev with Spooner and Hayes.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney

Is this a joke? Seriously? Trotman was incredible last year for Providence. From Mick's Rink Rap blog (http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/bruins/):

"Get a good look at Trotman, who Rink Rap would be surprised not to see skating right side with Chara on opening night."

"Trotman, whose one-way contract kicks in this season, showed in his NHL recalls and especially in the Calder Cup playoffs that he not only should make the Boston roster this month but should prove an appropriate first-pairing replacement for Hamilton alongside captain Zdeno Chara."

You see one preseason game and completely disregard how Trotman was the best Defenseman for Providence in the CC Playoffs. Its the same tired assumptive assertions. There is nothing being "gifted" to him, he has played extremely well in Providence (and in his last stint with Chara for that matter). To think otherwise is foolish. He may not be the long-term answer, but he is absolutely deserving of a shot on the big club.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is this a joke? Seriously? Trotman was incredible last year for Providence. From Mick's Rink Rap blog (http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/bruins/):

"Get a good look at Trotman, who Rink Rap would be surprised not to see skating right side with Chara on opening night."

"Trotman, whose one-way contract kicks in this season, showed in his NHL recalls and especially in the Calder Cup playoffs that he not only should make the Boston roster this month but should prove an appropriate first-pairing replacement for Hamilton alongside captain Zdeno Chara."

You see one preseason game and completely disregard how Trotman was the best Defenseman for Providence in the CC Playoffs. Its the same tired assumptive assertions. There is nothing being "gifted" to him, he has played extremely well in Providence (and in his last stint with Chara for that matter). To think otherwise is foolish. He may not be the long-term answer, but he is absolutely deserving of a shot on the big club.

Is this a joke?

What does last year have to do with it and did you miss Colins last season?
C had a better year and had a better game and has more potential and brings things we need badly on the table.
Are we punishing Colin because he didn't play in Providence are we?
Trotman got outplayed last night can't deny that.

This is the time when you earn your spots.

(You just gifted him a spot over Colin even though you said you didn't)

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He played with a purpose last year. He may have a breakout year but that's because he's at that age when it happens. I don't think Florida was holding him back in anyway or that there's something here that will unleash him.

Did he? I didn't get to see him much but 19 goals isn't half bad, I just figured from some of the floater comments he didn't play with a purpose.

There has to be something to playing for the team you grew up cheering for, but maybe that's just because im nuts about the b's and would play every game like it was my last if I made it that far and was given the opportunity

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Is this a joke?

What does last year have to do with it and did you miss Colins last season?
C had a better year and had a better game and has more potential and brings things we need badly on the table.
Are we punishing Colin because he didn't play in Providence are we?
He got outplayed last night can't deny that.

This is the time when you earn your spots.

I'm not denying a spot for C. Miller. Nice assumption again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad