Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #1: BRUINS 2 New Jersey 0

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So, you saw everything that you thought you were going to see all along?

Shocking :laugh:

As a friend of mine who posts here likes to say, we all see what we want to see (myself included).

So I can't say his passes were off because I haven't been his biggest fan,
or he struggled?

We have 2 spots left, slowest D group in the league, I have a right to be worried that Julien still puts Trotman out there even if he hasn't earned it :laugh:
Just watch Colin, he brings everything our D is lacking, puck moving/offense/skating/physicality and had good D-plays, if I see him in the AHL (if he he keeps this up) I'm going to lose it.

Then we have Arnesson who has been strong so far, Morrow, Irwin and K.Miller fighting for those few spots, is Trotman really the best option?
He got outplayed, he wasn't brutal but he got outplayed.

By the way I'd be fine with him on the 3rd pairing and I've said it before but not in the top4 and we need players for top4 spots.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So I can't say his passes were off because I haven't been his biggest fan,
or he struggled?

We have 2 spots left, slowest D group in the league, I have a right to be worried that Julien still puts Trotman out there even if he hasn't earned it :laugh:
Just watch Colin, he brings everything our D is lacking, puck moving/offense/skating/physicality and had good D-plays, if I see him in the AHL (if he he keeps this up) I'm going to lose it.

Then we have Arnesson who has been strong so far, Morrow, Irwin and K.Miller fighting for those few spots, is Trotman really the best option?
He got outplayed, he wasn't brutal but he got outplayed.

By the way I'd be fine with him on the 3rd pairing and I've said it before but not in the top4 and we need players for top4 spots.

What I am saying is that you go into a game with a preconceived idea of who/what Trotman is (admittedly), so it's not surprising to me that you would find more fault with his play then I did.

Last year, I would watch Bartkowski make a questionable play, and by that, I mean that it might have been his fault or maybe someone else's. I knew 100% that I would come here and find Bartkowski getting killed over it because the vast majority of people had already decided that he sucked, so it colored their opinion of his play.

Dougie would make the same play and a bunch of people would be blaming it on everything but Dougie (bad bounce, bad play D partner, bad back-checking by F's, whatever). This was because Dougie was the B's potential next franchise D, so how could he possibly be doing anything wrong? :laugh:

We all have biases and agendas, myself included. The thing is, you have to be aware of those biases when you are trying to "objectively" watch a player or a game. Easier said than done.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I thought one of the worst looking players was Brett Connolly, which shocked me.

I have very low expectations for Connolly. In the very few times I have seen him...with TB and with the B's at the end of the year after his return from the hand injury...I don't like what I see at all.

Reminds me of Landon Wilson or someone like that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What I am saying is that you go into a game with a preconceived idea of who/what Trotman is (admittedly), so it's not surprising to me that you would find more fault with his play then I did.

Last year, I would watch Bartkowski make a questionable play, and by that, I mean that it might have been his fault or maybe someone else's. I knew 100% that I would come here and find Bartkowski getting killed over it because the vast majority of people had already decided that he sucked, so it colored their opinion of his play.

Dougie would make the same play and a bunch of people would be blaming it on everything but Dougie (bad bounce, bad play D partner, bad back-checking by F's, whatever). This was because Dougie was the B's potential next franchise D, so how could he possibly be doing anything wrong? :laugh:

We all have biases and agendas, myself included. The thing is, you have to be aware of those biases when you are trying to "objectively" watch a player or a game. Easier said than done.

Sure, but I went with an open mind into last nights game, best players earn their spots, but again how can I have an agenda or be bias if I say his passing was bad when he made turnovers with them and icings?
He had 2 in 1 shift and on the pp he lost a puck on the D-zone, 2 clear examples.

Can you honestly tell me that he played like a 1st pairing/top4D last night and didn't get outplayed, because this is my view and point(that he didn't and got outplayed).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have very low expectations for Connolly. In the very few times I have seen him...with TB and with the B's at the end of the year after his return from the hand injury...I don't like what I see at all.

Reminds me of Landon Wilson or someone like that.

Fantastic call comparing Connolly to Wilson. I don't get why everyone is so excited for the guy. To me, he's shown very little whenever I've seen him play. And to make it even worse, he seems to have zero hockey sense to boot...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sure, but I went with an open mind into last nights game, best players earn their spots, but again how can I have an agenda or be bias if I say his passing was bad when he made turnovers with them and icings?
He had 2 in 1 shift and on the pp he lost a puck on the D-zone, 2 clear examples.

Can you honestly tell me that he played like a 1st pairing/top4D last night and didn't get outplayed, because this is my view and point(that he didn't and got outplayed).

Trotman didn't have his best showing and if he makes plays out of his own zone like that throughout camp I will be the first person to admit I was wrong and jump off the Trotman train.

But, it does feel like the C. Miller brigade is just brushing off C. Miller's bad 1st period like it didn't happen.

C. Miller makes errors = jitters and rust
Trotman makes errors = he sucks

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
I hope Chris Kelly finally plays like the 3 Million + dollars he gets every year. If anything its Kelly that I'd be looking to unload asap if he doesn't contribute to the team in the first part of the season. This year we definitely do not need any *&^&% freeloaders! Every player needs to bring something to the table this year and bring it with consistency! Looking at you Chris Kelly..

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fantastic call comparing Connolly to Wilson. I don't get why everyone is so excited for the guy. To me, he's shown very little whenever I've seen him play. And to make it even worse, he seems to have zero hockey sense to boot...

I am getting worried that Wilson is an apt comparison. Connolly is fast and can shoot and has grit and was scoring at a 20 goal pace last year getting bottom 6 minutes.

But, man, he hasn't really looked good.

But, I'm not ready to quit on it, yet. Coming back (probably early) from a wrist injury on a new team + 1 preseason game isn't the best of samples for anyone.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I thought the young d looked good not overmatched. Miller looked good and yes I like the Physical play of randall and Cross as well as DeFazio. I thought KoKO played ok and the guy I liked was Rinaldo.
Sorry but Zonnas also looked good looked like a vet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trotman didn't have his best showing and if he makes plays out of his own zone like that throughout camp I will be the first person to admit I was wrong and jump off the Trotman train.

But, it does feel like the C. Miller brigade is just brushing off C. Miller's bad 1st period like it didn't happen.

C.Millers biggest mistakes came during his 1st 2 shifts, Trotmans during the game, is there a difference?
I'd say yes, and Trotman should stand out, he has NHL experience and has been expected to be paired with Chara, a bit of quality can be demanded/expected.

C.Miller is a beauty with the puck, he is confidence and was surprised by his smarts, read during the offseason from one of LA writers that he reminds Doughty on the ice and he showed some of that last night.

I also haven't said Trotman sucks, I've said he could be a strong 3rd pairing D but that's not going to happen with McQuaid, we need top4 talent or potential.
I'm much more excited about our other D prospects and see them having more potential than Trotman, making it very hard to see Trotman having a future with us because I personnaly don't want to see any of our top prospects to bust, is that wrong to hope?

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC

I feel like Miller rebounded well, and you can see how quick he makes the right move. He looked good in all three zones and made some great save a play moves. I didn't see much of Trotman besides a few mistakes which admittedly isn't always a bad thing with a yound inexperienced D player.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
'It's here, it's here, that lusty time of year'

HOCKEY SEASON!!!!!

Oh Yeah!:naughty:

I have a bad feeling Connolly will be the bruin to bash this year.

Only if he earns it. He'd better get his head in the right place and fast or DS will do it for him. He didn't impress last season due to the injury at practice and then he was completely out of sync by the time he got back from that. When he did, he didn't fit in at all.

I guess you get to see the whole game by watching the stats :laugh:

Hayes has impressed me more than Connolly, he should fit in and great in front of the net player, but Connolly really didn't impress.

I said it before that Kemppainen-Kelly can create strong defensive 4th line duo and still believe in it.
So many guys battling for 4th line spots so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Koko has talent but how do we fit him into the roster? I have no idea but would be fun to see him getting few more games.

Great to see this game from Colin, seems like a great fit, his puck moving is beautiful to watch and he is smart, Irwin-Colin deadly pp duo.

Completely agree with this assessment! Koko, after b******g about not getting a fair chance looked blah. If they move him, another iffy Chia draft pick I wouldn't be too upset.

It's been so long since I've seen Boston Bruins hockey, felt like the longest off season of all time...

First period was awful all around. Totally understand, but it was like watching bantam hockey.

Colin Miller - Sign me up! Love the quick feet and the decisions with the puck were really good. I thought he was actually better than Irwin, but he did score all of the goals for both teams.

Spooner - Looks NHL legit. The difference between him and Koko was massive. Has worked really hard and it shows. Someone said some of his passes were off, but I'd argue the receivers of the passes were off mostly.

Irwin - Fantastic shot; average wheels and average defender. He is NHL ready though.

Zboril - Stick position, gap control. He held his D pairing. Not flashy, very smart with and without the puck.

Trotman - Ugh. 18 year old D partner (Zboril) held him up. NHL body and shot; but the IQ isn't there. He should be optioned out one way or the other. I'd take any of C. Miller / Irwin / Zboril over him

Carlo - Better than I expected. Good stick, good wheels, looks young but very promising.

Hayes was good, but I found myself wishing he was somewhere else most times. Great body in front of the net though, he owns that space.

Koko - Meh. Sorry, I know some liked what they saw, but he never owned the play. Always seems to be 1/2 stride ahead or behind in my opinion. Especially with his comments today, I can see him being moved in a deal.

Connoly - Wow; just dreadful. It's one game, but man he looked lost. Either didn't give a crap or he just isn't ready.

DeBrusk - You can totally see what they saw when they drafted him, but as another poster said, put him back in the oven. Take this experience and just get better.

The rest were decent. Liked DeFazio and Kemp; need to see more from them.

Best move this off season:
NOT SIGNING FRANSON. He would have been way overpaid and been average at best. I think C.Miller / K.Miller / Irwin are a "touch" lower RIGHT now, but in terms of cash and upside, I would take them over Franson every day of the week. Thanks Sweeney for NOT giving into that deal.

You read my mind: Totally Agree with everything here except I think that maybe Franson's experience would've been nice in the dog days of January and February but at this point he isn't a make or break player for the B's.

He was also paired with Zboril, not Chara.

I thought one of the worst looking players was Brett Connolly, which shocked me.

Unfortunately, me too.

I was really impressed with Colin Miller- good skating, seems to know what he's doing when he has the puck (IOW he didn't treat it like a live grenade), I love his shot and that hip check he threw was to die for.

If he keeps this up #48 could become the new #55
:)

I turned to Mrs. Strafer and said EXACTLY these words. Wish that they'd give him #55 on his back!

Not in terms of handing the puck over but I've seen plenty of mistakes from him in terms of blown coverage and reads.

You've hit the.... Nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am getting worried that Wilson is an apt comparison. Connolly is fast and can shoot and has grit and was scoring at a 20 goal pace last year getting bottom 6 minutes.

But, man, he hasn't really looked good.

But, I'm not ready to quit on it, yet. Coming back (probably early) from a wrist injury on a new team + 1 preseason game isn't the best of samples for anyone.

I don't think that they can quit on him yet either. He cost them some very valuable assets in that trade so they have to hope that he works out. He looks dis-engaged, almost like he thought that maybe he's too good to be playing in that game? I really hope that he can put it together since this is his best , maybe last chance at being a regular on an NHL team. He was brought here by Chia and if he can't make a good impression DS has no emotional ties to him IMO.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
C.Millers biggest mistakes came during his 1st 2 shifts, Trotmans during the game, is there a difference?
I'd say yes, and Trotman should stand out, he has NHL experience and has been expected to be paired with Chara, a bit of quality can be demanded/expected.

C.Miller is a beauty with the puck, he is confidence and was surprised by his smarts, read during the offseason from one of LA writers that he reminds Doughty on the ice and he showed some of that last night.

I also haven't said Trotman sucks, I've said he could be a strong 3rd pairing D but that's not going to happen with McQuaid, we need top4 talent or potential.
I'm much more excited about our other D prospects and see them having more potential than Trotman, making it very hard to see Trotman having a future with us because I personnaly don't want to see any of our top prospects to bust, is that wrong to hope?

Where we disagree is that in Trotman I see a new NHL defensive defenseman who can be a legit top 4D. A guy who can play defense first, but isn't a black hole in puck moving and in the offensive zone.

He has the size and strength to clear the net and the reach to be effective in his own zone plus he is adept at making a good first pass (although he didn't show it last night), has good four way skating for his size, and has a good shot. I don't see him ever hitting the same peak, but in style, like a more offensively gifted Seidenberg. And you need guys that can defend and play the PK in your top 4.

While Trotman getting time with Chara is more about him being a safer choice than him earning it, I do think Trotman will finish developing into a legit 2nd pairing D. And I think Miller will, too, but in obviously a very different way.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Where we disagree is that in Trotman I see a new NHL defensive defenseman who can be a legit top 4D. A guy who can play defense first, but isn't a black hole in puck moving and in the offensive zone.

He has the size and strength to clear the net and the reach to be effective in his own zone plus he is adept at making a good first pass (although he didn't show it last night), has good four way skating for his size, and has a good shot. I don't see him ever hitting the same peak, but in style, like a more offensively gifted Seidenberg. And you need guys that can defend and play the PK in your top 4.

While Trotman getting time with Chara is more about him being a safer choice than him earning it, I do think Trotman will finish developing into a legit 2nd pairing D. And I think Miller will, too, but in obviously a very different way.

I just hope not, I have higher hopes for Carlo and Colin and it would mean one of them would have busted and don't like that.
We are also a top pairing RD short so either we are not going to be contenders for years or one of Trotman/Colin has to go at the end of next year, or what happens when Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara join the fight for 1 D spot.
Doesn't have a spot on my top4.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I just hope not, I have higher hopes for Carlo and Colin and it would mean one of them would have busted and don't like that.
We are also a top pairing RD short so either we are not going to be contenders for years or one of Trotman/Colin has to go at the end of next year, or what happens when Zboril/Arnesson/O'Gara join the fight for 1 D spot.
Doesn't have a spot on my top4.

So is 3/4 of the league ... Why wouldn't you want a player in your top four if he's capable? What makes you think any of the players above will turn out to be top four ? Never mind #1's

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
After watching Trotman for two years in AHL I decided on vanilla flavor. Trotman doesn't remind me of anyone, and he doesn't make me forget anyone else. And that's the best I can say about him. Projecting ahead, Arnesson and Morrow should easily rise above. But then Morrow is not right-handed and likes to skate out past blue line while carrying puck, see, that's how it goes.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
touche. maybe he's closer to a lemming

I like McQuaid and the edge he brings to this team. I don't think he's worth the extension he just signed, but again, he's a tone setter with his physicality, so it's fine. I also find it funny that he tries to throw big hits and misses from time to time. If he got badly hurt, I wouldn't be laughing about it, but he generally comes through it fine, so it's funny...

On a related note, when did this place become so serious? You guys must be a ton of fun at parties...:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad