GDT: Preseason begins - Rangers at Devils 7 PM MSG+, Devils at Montreal 7:30 PM (split-squad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Our defense might be CRAMMED this year. Greene, Vatanen, Severson, Butcher, Santini, Mueller, Smith, Lovejoy, Yakolev all definitely seem deserving of a spot. It’s gonna be tough to see how it all plays out

Reactions: New Jersey

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Highlight of the night: My 68-year-old dad calling the wasted NYR fan (who I’m fairly certain was underage) and his friends cretins.

Man, I miss undergrad years when it wasn’t socially unacceptable to be drunk on a Monday night.

Other than that, meh. Was nice to get back to the Rock. PJ Ryan’s is good, albeit pricey.

Wait you're telling me it's unacceptable now :help:

Reactions: New Jersey

Camille the Eel

Interesting re Quenneville vs. Lappin. Lappin skates better I think but the two players are not really equivalents. I think Quenneville is more of a Noesen equivalent. A battler and grinder, someone sound positionally and he certainly made some nice plays tonight and was in the right spots all night long.

But if I’m looking for someone to replace Gibbons, role wise, it’s more Lappin who reminds me of Brian. Because he can move better and is more dynamic with the puck, not just a sniper but an aggressive guy who will surprise you and who also can play the p.k.

Reactions: teddygmr

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Our defense might be CRAMMED this year. Greene, Vatanen, Severson, Butcher, Santini, Mueller, Smith, Lovejoy, Yakolev all definitely seem deserving of a spot. It’s gonna be tough to see how it all plays out

I think the Devils carry 8 D to start the season and relegate Yakolev to the AHL. After the 9 games, Smith will be sent down.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Interesting re Quenneville vs. Lappin. Lappin skates better I think but the two players are not really equivalents. I think Quenneville is more of a Noesen equivalent. A battler and grinder, someone sound positionally and he certainly made some nice plays tonight and was in the right spots all night long.

But if I’m looking for someone to replace Gibbons, role wise, it’s more Lappin who reminds me of Brian. Because he can move better and is more dynamic with the puck, not just a sniper but an aggressive guy who will surprise you and who also can play the p.k.
Don't much agree with this post.

Q looks way more fluid with the puck. More fluid on his skates. Both guys can shoot. Either guy will need to bring energy every night if they want to make the big club.

Lappin has the edge of being a righty.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just some thoughts from the game.

Hall - Hischier - Bratt were all moving well but it seemed like they were all just a little bit out of sync. Individually, they all looked good, but too many times they either messed each other up or misread each other or were just a step off the play.

You can really see Smith's strengths shine through, but his top end speed seems to be lacking especially going back to retrieve pucks. Greene, Vatanen, and Butcher all have the same issue at times, but with Smith's inexperience and lack of strength, it seemed like it put him in some tricky situations at times. Credit to him though because he was often able to negate those issues.

McLeod looked like he was trying to play a more cerebral game and he looked good out there. JQ had a terrific game as well, if he keeps playing like that he'll find himself on the team.

Yakovlev seemed nervous to me. You can see his assets, but too many times he seemed like he had no idea where to be or would skate/pass the puck into dead ice. Hopefully that is something that can get worked out with familiarity.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Best player in the 3rd IMO. He was all over the ice. Quenneville looked good too.
Q certainly looks comfortable on the PP. As does Smith.

McLeod got the assist on the PP, but impressed more at 5v5. Has a funny quirk in that he really get's that stick on the ice in anticipation of a pass.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Q looks way more fluid with the puck. More fluid on his skates. Both guys can shoot. Either guy will need to bring energy every night if they want to make the big club.

Lappin's weakness is skating

He has a scorers shot and finds the soft spots around the net.

He skates well enough for the AHL but not for the NHL yet.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You can really see Smith's strengths shine through, but his top end speed seems to be lacking especially going back to retrieve pucks. Greene, Vatanen, and Butcher all have the same issue at times, but with Smith's inexperience and lack of strength, it seemed like it put him in some tricky situations at times. Credit to him though because he was often able to negate those issues.
Really thought this as well. Faster then Butcher and a better skater overall, but he really reminded me of Butcher in that his real strength is his cerebral play, especially with the puck, especially on the PP.

But agree given his stature and his lack of top end speed, not to mention he would play a very similar role as Butcher, I think he'll certainly be back in juniors this year.

Reactions: teddygmr

Camille the Eel

Hard for me to tell on TV. DD also says above Lappin’s weakness is his skating. My sample size here is also really small as to these guys.

What freed up Quenneville for that goal of his was that Smith didn’t just move him the puck, but made a nice little deke in stride before he made the pass that froze the defenseman who would have had to cover Q. He pulled the penalty killer into the low middle before dealing the puck. This created all kinds of time and space for Q.

You can’t teach that kind of thing.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ty is like a rich man’s Butcher.
Given we saw so much of Ty on the PP we didn't get to see him defend much tonight, which is not unlike Butcher from last year.

But there are a ton of similarities.

Now Smith, as noted above, is not that fast, but I've seen enough to say he is a very smooth skater, overall I think he has a pretty good skating edge on Butch.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I do wonder where Smith would play if he is given his a brief stint to start the year.

Could he start his career on the right side? Or maybe move Butch to right?

Don't see a Greene Butcher Smith left side happening though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's one game, but Bratt? Oooofah. I saw a single one-timer that had anything on it. The rest of the night was bad.
And it was against the Rangers in preseason last year that he really made his mark. Tables turned on him in this one.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
what'd y'all think of gryba

Ugh.

No disrespect to him, but I really don’t expect much.

In the first preseason game, I expect the young guns to be the biggest liability in the third. At least being wrong there made things interesting.

I would be really upset if it were regular season and we lost in OT after never trailing but losing to the Rags is always gross.

Also had some gems in my section so I’m irritated. One drunk college kid and this lady that was so shrill I literally said “oh my god” out loud unintentially a la Michael Scott.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The longer Wood sits out, the better for JQ. They are not going to gift Wood his spot back if JQ keeps it up.

Some of you talk about Bratt not being gifted or guaranteed anything. This applies even more so to the guy sitting at home.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad