GDT: Preseason begins - Rangers at Devils 7 PM MSG+, Devils at Montreal 7:30 PM (split-squad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDpassantino

Jan 16, 2012
I know it is just game 1 of the pre season..... But, Vats looks awful already man. He really doesn't know how to make timely passes. He is always putting the other player in bad positions. Impressed with Smith and his vision, I just think he is too small in size at the moment.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
Am I the only one who does NOT get excited about Nick Lappin. To me, in baseball terms, he's what you call the quadruple A player. Good in the minors, but nothing but a retread in the majors. I'd much rather see Quenneville or McLeod get a shot with the big team to make sure they aren't another Nick Lappin.

Reactions: Bleedred and Billdo

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
there's nothing "exciting" about him, but an energy guy who has a nose for the net could be a serviceable role player. you need those guys sometimes

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I know it is just game 1 of the pre season..... But, Vats looks awful already man. He really doesn't know how to make timely passes. He is always putting the other player in bad positions. Impressed with Smith and his vision, I just think he is too small in size at the moment.

He wasn't even trying. I would be a bit nervous if he looks the same against SC Bern.

Am I the only one who does NOT get excited about Nick Lappin. To me, in baseball terms, he's what you call the quadruple A player. Good in the minors, but nothing but a retread in the majors. I'd much rather see Quenneville or McLeod get a shot with the big team to make sure they aren't another Nick Lappin.

To me, Lappin and Pietila are warm bodies to keep the other, actual prospects effort level up.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You make it sound like Vatanen was previously bad with us....which is an absolute joke of an opinion.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Be excited about everyone. McLeod, Speers, JQ, Anderson, etc. have to be better than Lappin and Pietila if they are going to be meaningful players. Seriously.

I get what he means about Vatanen. Sometimes, what looks like competitiveness from him is actually over-committing to his assignment and leaving an easy shooting/driving lane exposed. When we're a serious team, he should be on the second pair and you hope we either get a better 1 RHD or Severson surpasses him.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Lappin turns 26 already in a few weeks and I would probably agree that he won't be anything more than a "AAAA" player

however, I wouldn't mind him as the extra forward. He seems to be a guy who can play up and down the lineup.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Smith has all the intangibles and many of the tools to play right now in the NHL but he is still only about 170 pounds or thereabouts and the team will have to decide if he is strong enough to hold up over a full season. I’d be reluctant to keep him in the NHL beyond four or five games at the start of the season but crazier things have happened.

Reactions: Billdo

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Same other than he's probably one of the four best defenseman in the organization.

probably true...but i think we need to do the best thing for smith this season, not the best thing for the devils. i’m sure he’ll get a couple of games in this year anyway

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I'd rather give Ty some time to put on some size but certainly he has the poise/IQ/vision to slot right into the lineup. He reminded me a lot of Butcher in terms of decision making and QB duties while managing to look even smarter and a smoother skater (though not really faster).

I can see giving him a few games but wouldn't want him up all year for fears of rushing him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t expect Smith to make it, but he really was our best defenseman out there. Almost every pass was the right decision and perfectly on the tape. I doubt his body could hold up to a full NHL season, but he probably wouldn’t look out of place on this team right now. I guess he’s competing with Mueller and Yak? Mueller-Severson supposedly looked like ass.

The one issue would be how the PK would look if Smith was in over Mueller. We’d have Greene as our only lefty we’d feel comfortable with on the PK and on the right side Severson isn’t much of a PKer.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
After having a taste last night now I'm even more crazed to get the season started, champing at the bit for our game in Sweden and even more so for the home opener on the 11th.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I keep reading that Zacha had a good game last night then I read he only had two shot attempts and none on goal. If he doesn’t produce points, we’re in trouble. I don’t care how great everyone says he is defensively. A no. 2 center needs to produce offense.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I keep reading that Zacha had a good game last night then I read he only had two shot attempts and none on goal. If he doesn’t produce points, we’re in trouble. I don’t care how great everyone says he is defensively. A no. 2 center needs to produce offense.

Because the box score tells exactly what he did.... . He was one of the best Devils in the ice for that teams last night

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Skates a bit better too, though I wouldn't say he's fast. Better first step than Butcher.

I wouldn't say smith is slow either. He moves pretty fast even though he doesn't look it. His skating is very economical / smooth. He's not a burner like Hughes is, but he still moves quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad