GDT: Preseason: 9/29/14 - Pittsburgh Penguins @ Minnesota Wild - 7PM CDT/3AM Suomi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm willing to give him the early part of the season. He did just ok last year, but that was also with some time missed due to injury and a little bounce back-and-forth between center and wing. He was great in the Colorado series, if he can come out of the gate like that, I'll have no problem keeping him where he is.

Joona

Feb 21, 2013
How has keränen been? haven't been able to watch pre-season games / follow social media too much.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
How has keränen been? haven't been able to watch pre-season games / follow social media too much.

So so. He's had stretches where he is invisible, and flashes of where he looks great or makes a great offensive play. He hasn't been given the best linemates to work with though.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I have actually really liked Karenans play. He's good at the things I expect him to be good at, and he looked more physical than I anticipated.

I just don't know if he will be able to adequately use his strengths on the 4th line, which is his likely spot on this roster.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I have actually really liked Karenans play. He's good at the things I expect him to be good at, and he looked more physical than I anticipated.

I just don't know if he will be able to adequately use his strengths on the 4th line, which is his likely spot on this roster.

I'd echo this statement.

Don't think that's his type of game, but he's at least putting in the effort to be more physical. His size surprised me; looks pretty big out there whenever I see him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cooke is an important part of our 3rd line. I see no reason to move him. Guy is solid defensively and decent offensively.

Agreed.
Should someone like Zucker play so well that he gets moved down to the fourth line/PK then all the better for our depth. Brodz/Cooke/? Would be the makings of an excellent fourth line.

It would be cool if we had a guy who could play a decent 7th D and 13th forward(not Bickel). Sorta like Jimmy Roberts in the old days.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Watched most of the first two periods.

Schroeder didn't look bad at all. Cooke looked really slow out there. Good plays by Granlund but some mistakes too. Suter looks great. Brodin generally looks good. Dumba looked very good at times in the O zone.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
You brought him in to play lw on the shutdown line? be a centerpiece on the PK? to play a physical two way game? to dig the puck off the walls and set up Coyle? to play on the second PP Unit? to carry the puck up the ice? LOL . You can get those guys for 2-3 mil a year

Huh? That's not what I said at all. I know that Vanek doesn't play D and he was brought to score, the point was that if he's not feeling like burying the puck, he's useless and more of an anchor than a reinforcement. A line can take one passenger and still work (like Parise and Koivu with Coyle), but both wingers can't be passengers, whether they are that way unwillingly (Coyle) or willingly (Vanek). A line like that won't work. So either Coyle takes a huge step forward, Vanek doesn't mail it in or you go with Parise-Koivu-Coyle and Vanek-Granlund-Pominville.

However, I do think we should try to have 2 PP units that can produce which means Vanek shouldn't play PP with Granlund & Co.

It's not blaming Koivu for everything, it's expecting a lot from a highly paid franchise player. I don't want another year of Koivu getting top PP time and scoring a dozen goals and trailing the play. It was fine when the Wild had no offensive talent, not anymore.

The PP being crap had little to do with Koivu. He's a good PP player and should get another good PP forward in his unit (Vanek). If you want two legit producing PP units, you don't do the same to Koivu as you did to Granlund last year. Now that Vanek's on the team, don't leave one good PP forward alone in the other unit because it's a waste. You spread the talent now that you have it.

Last edited:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Huh? That's not what I said at all. I know that Vanek doesn't play D and he was brought to score, the point was that if he's not feeling like burying the puck, he's useless and more of an anchor than a reinforcement. A line can take one passenger and still work (like Parise and Koivu with Coyle), but both wingers can't be passengers, whether they are that way unwillingly (Coyle) or willingly (Vanek). A line like that won't work. So either Coyle takes a huge step forward, Vanek doesn't mail it in or you go with Parise-Koivu-Coyle and Vanek-Granlund-Pominville.

However, I do think we should try to have 2 PP units that can produce which means Vanek shouldn't play PP with Granlund & Co.

The PP being crap had little to do with Koivu. He's a good PP player and should get another good PP forward in his unit (Vanek). If you want two legit producing PP units, you don't do the same to Koivu as you did to Granlund last year. Now that Vanek's on the team, don't leave one good PP forward alone in the other unit because it's a waste. You spread the talent now that you have it.
Vanek is a pretty good passer to.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Just to make sure we're on the same page:

Vanek not mailing it in= he gets himself into good scoring positions and waits for a pass. When he gets it, he shoots if possible. I'm not asking for more than he is capable of doing when he's feeling it, not for anything he's not used to doing or not meant to be doing. He's too old to change his style.

Vanek is a pretty good passer to.

Yes, but goalscorer is his main role.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Just to make sure we're on the same page:

Vanek not mailing it in= he gets himself into good scoring positions and waits for a pass. When he gets it, he shoots if possible. I'm not asking for more than he is capable of doing when he's feeling it, not for anything he's not used to doing or not meant to be doing. He's too old to change his style.

Yes, but goalscorer is his main role.

I know but people think goal scoring is the only thing he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad