GDT: Preseason #6 | Islanders at Flyers | October 5, 2023 | 7:00 PM | NBCSP

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Zamula-Sanheim
York-Seeler/Walker
Andrae-Ristolainen

Acknowledging Ristolainen is not being scratched, I can't imagine something like this isn't A.) the best defensive lineup short-term and B.) the best defensive lineup long-term. Will we get it? Not a f***ing chance. This team is an exercise in bullshit shoveling.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
When I watch Andrae and York play, I see something I haven’t seen in a Flyers defenseman since Niskanen retired. We might actually have the foundation of something there…

Also, it’s hard to put into words just how great it is to not see #55 out there fumbling the puck.

Shame we’ll be back to the regularly scheduled programming next game…

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I see something I haven’t seen in a Flyers defenseman since Niskanen retired.

924uxE1.gif

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Having a good 4th line is good.

Having a 4th line making 5.5 million and a 31 and 32 year old, while rebuilding, makes no sense at all.
Yes thats what I meant. Move Nic D off the team and the Flyers will have one of their better 4th lines since Carcillo-Betts-Lappy. Sadly 4th lines dont win cups (contrary to what the Flyers brass believe).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost looked much better on the PP, like he had a clue, though I don't worry too much at this point about the PP, they have a week of practice with the real team before the 1st game. Got to keep him with Tippett, they have great chemistry and I think Tippett's "bull in a china shop" game opens the ice for Frost.

I think Andrae is still going down, he makes a lot of mistakes, flashes a lot of talent, he's adjusting to NA rinks and the smaller space and smaller windows. Look for him to play 25 a night in LHV then come up in December and start. The talent is obvious, but he just needs experience at the AHL level to get comfortable. But when he figures it out, I think he'll be a top 4 fixture. Kimmo didn't start until he was 23, those years in the Finnish league didn't seem to hurt his game.

To me, Foerster belongs with Laughton and Cates where he can play a physical game and make things happen while he refines his skills - right now he's a bit erratic offensively. Cates' offensive game is underrated b/c of one skill that's exceptional - his ability to control the puck in a crowd. That makes him dangerous in dirty areas. Has to get better at shooting quickly and accurately in those areas, he doesn't need a powerful shot, just beat goalies close in high traffic situations. But he can extend plays in the O-zone by winning puck battles consistently.

Couts and Atkinson just look rusty to me, like their timing is off as if they haven't played for a year.

That fourth line will be one of the top in the league, you're talking 9-10 minutes a night, that's 4-5 shifts a period. Get on the ice, hit some people, force turnovers, bring energy, get your teammates excited then sit for 5 minutes. Different skill set required than a top 3 line.

Poehling was a great addition, and if he keeps up his preseason play, an extension in his future. He's a bottom six guy, but brings size, speed, PK. A depth guy who has upside left.

Reactions: JXC and jabba2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad