GDT: Preseason 5/7ths-Rangers@Devils

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Preseason or not, if McIlrath had scored on that OT two-on-one I think I would have had to quit the boards or something. :laugh: I couldn't believe it when I saw that was him skating up the ice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No, I just joined last year, when Marty was already gone, but the fact that people wrongly picked on Marty doesn't mean people should wrongly pick on Cory. Marty was a Hall of Fame goalie--better in his prime than Cory will ever be, honestly--but Cory is an elite goalie, and we can't have Marty in net anymore. We've got to love the new guy and the old guy in my opinion. There can be room in our hearts for both I hope.

There's also a 'big' difference between the Marty of 2008-09 and the Marty of 2013-14 but that doesn't fit with Marty being bionic and time somehow not affecting him. Yes Marty did finally get old and it affected his play, just because people wanted the better goalie at that point in their careers to play doesn't mean they didn't appreciate two decades of great goaltending.

And Cory was already starting to play better in November and December (.922 and .924 save percentage on a dumpster fire team, although I know that stat gets frowned on) after yes he struggled in October and the first part of November playing every game. Yeah he had .940's the first two months of the Lou staff but that kind of play isn't really sustainable for the whole season. The system nonsense is misguided, were they playing a regressive system in Vancouver too?

Lundqvist had months of .891 and .916 save percentages last year and months of .932 and .946, by MoonDragn's marker he's inconsistent too.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It wouldn't have been a complete game without Kreider running into a goalie again either!

I must say, I was very impressed with our willingness to crash lundqvist a few times- that's something that our team has pussed away from for years, while Marty would get mowed down semi regularly. I like that this group crashes the net- very important IMO

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
The Cory conversations in general are tiresome. He's one of the best goalies in the league and we are so fortunate to have him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
First 2 months or so, when we were so bad the coach got fired...

Then we changed our system, and bingo, the problem stopped. Now we are changing our system again. You see where I'm going with this?

if you honestly think Cory Schneider was bad for the "first 2 months or so" of last year, you need to re-evaluate your hockey acumen I think.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There's also a 'big' difference between the Marty of 2008-09 and the Marty of 2013-14 but that doesn't fit with Marty being bionic and time somehow not affecting him. Yes Marty did finally get old and it affected his play, just because people wanted the better goalie at that point in their careers to play doesn't mean they didn't appreciate two decades of great goaltending.

And Cory was already starting to play better in November and December (.922 and .924 save percentage on a dumpster fire team, although I know that stat gets frowned on) after yes he struggled in October and the first part of November playing every game. Yeah he had .940's the first two months of the Lou staff but that kind of play isn't really sustainable for the whole season. The system nonsense is misguided, were they playing a regressive system in Vancouver too?

Lundqvist had months of .891 and .916 save percentages last year and months of .932 and .946, by MoonDragn's marker he's inconsistent too.

Can't forgot how literally bad our PK was in October and November. Was good for 1-2 goals a game every night.

Just a pointless argument. Cory was excellent and consistent last year overall.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Was out all night Saturday but I recorded the game and watched it the next day. It was...dare I say...fun! Quite exciting at times, by far our best preseason game.

Though they did not convert I really liked the 2 PPs in the 1st period, and generally the pressure applied in both ends was great during the last one-third of the 1st period as well. Hynes definitely had the crew firing on all cylinders for much of the game. I detected a (relentless =) sense of urgency that was either non-existent or real spotty up until now. (Barring the radio broadcast game that none of us could see) It's so refreshing seeing us get to pucks quickly and apply pressure, not to mention get the puck up the ice quickly for more chances.

Blandisi looked great again I'd much rather have him on the roster and scratch Gio or Ruutu. I think we'd get a lot more out of Blandisi because he works hard to get into the plays, he's been effective in doing so, and while at it he manages to agitate the opposition. He also looked like he wasn't just working for a job but would easily fall into the roster as a cohesive part of this crew and I liked that.

Zacha had his best game yet and showed flashes of the player he could become in the form of a couple good rushes and plays, plus a big back check when he decided to jump on it. Otherwise still looking useless off the puck most of the time. Also some errant plays on the boards under pressure. But again, so young.

Boucher had a great game too and I loved the subtle deflection on that one shot (from Severson was it?) Boucher had contributions outside of the goal during the game too. Palmieri was consistently good again as well, loved the slap he scored on that I think was ultimately tipped by JJ upon further review. Really strange DoG penalty he took in that game though, that was a head scratcher. No biggie though as it was a freak thing we'll never see again.

Severson easily had his best game yet, tons of impact and contribution out there. All kinds of shots, great puck movement and a technician on point and really just a changed player from two games ago. I suspected the tough love session the other day in practice would get him going and whatever Hynes said really did the trick...he looked awesome out there. Loved the stand up hit at the blue line to meet a guy dumping in that one time too. Merrill also had a good game and looked real sharp in most instances. Gelly was decent for the most part too and that huge 3-on-3 slapper would simply NOT be denied.

In general I liked the hustle and urgency during much of the game and even in the last moments of regulation time to try and tie things up. We all know we should have won the game but I'll leave it at that...and it's preseason anyway so yeah. If anything it has me more excited to see our actual starting roster get out there. Expectations are still realistically low but I'm also eager to see them play. I guess it's not really worth commenting at this point on all the cuts as I don't disagree with them. I'll miss Blandisi and that's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad