GDT: Preseason 5/7ths-Rangers@Devils

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Was probably just this game/rust, but Lundqvist was not reading the puck well at all tonight.

Ok game otherwise, nobody really stood out particularly, some sloppiness and that lack of smoothness that we've seen much of this pre-season. Got pushed around way too much.

It wouldn't have been a complete game without Kreider running into a goalie again either!

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
That nonsense again.

Cory is having a bad preseason game, let's not call out his ability under pressure though. That's beyond ridiculous. This claim that he can't handle pressure it's so nonsensical.

Do you know how bad this team would be without Cory?

I happen to think Kincade will be a better goalie than Cory in this new system.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I happen to think Kincade will be a better goalie than Cory in this new system.

And that's my cue to check out for the night.

LOL

I think I remember you on the mainboard before last year saying we would suck because Schneider crumbles being the starter. You were half right on us being terrible. Way off on the because of Schneider part.

Why exactly would Kinkaid be better in this new system? Schneider played on a team with minimal defensive system last year and flourished.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland

LOL

I think I remember you on the mainboard before last year saying we would suck because Schneider crumbles being the starter. You were half right on us being terrible. Way off on the because of Schneider part.

Why exactly would Kinkaid be better in this new system? Schneider played on a team with minimal defensive system last year and flourished.

I'm not wrong. Cory had a period where he sucked, then he played really well and then he sucked again. We need more consistency out of him.

LOL

I think a lot of you are forgetting why Deboer was fired. The team was doing bad and Cory had some really good games and some bad games. It wasn't til Deboer was gone and the team went super defensive that Cory settled down. This new system requires the goalie to be able to transition the puck quickly and I don't think Cory can do that. Maybe if he just doesn't touch the puck at all.

Deleted member 28548

I really liked Boucher tonight. His stock rose in my eyes.
He had another solid game and is someone I'm really pulling for to take the next step this season with a new coaching staff and management in place. Easy kid to root for.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not wrong. Cory had a period where he sucked, then he played really well and then he sucked again. We need more consistency out of him.

Are you ****ing kidding me? He was a top 5 goalie on a ******* team last year and he needs to be more consistent?

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
This is nuts....

I haven't been able to watch these games and probably won't watch most of the season due to my job being incredibly demanding, but why is Cory already being ripped?
He's probably shaking off rust. I remember Brodeur often looked rusty in preseason. What exactly happened tonight?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I think a lot of you are forgetting why Deboer was fired. The team was doing bad and Cory had some really good games and some bad games. It wasn't til Deboer was gone and the team went super defensive that Cory settled down. This new system requires the goalie to be able to transition the puck quickly and I don't think Cory can do that. Maybe if he just doesn't touch the puck at all.

Team was giving up 25+ shots a
Game. He was under seige every night. It wasn't the guys in front of him bailing him out. Cory was bailing the team out.

And some of Cory's early issues can be linked to him being vastly overplayed to start the year. Something Lou himself admitted.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Are you ****ing kidding me? He was a top 5 goalie on a ******* team last year and he needs to be more consistent?

He had a stretch where he played really really well, and that really bumped up his stats. But he had games where he was really really bad. That doesn't speak consistency to me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't remember him sucking then playing real well, then sucking again.

I just remember him sucking, then playing out of this world, then coming back down a little bit in the last month of the season but still playing good.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is nuts....

I haven't been able to watch these games and probably won't watch most of the season due to my job being incredibly demanding, but why is Cory already being ripped?
He's probably shaking off rust. I remember Brodeur often looked rusty in preseason. What exactly happened tonight?

He had a bad night. Couple he would like back and a puck handling mistake (a stick was in the trapezoid that he didn't see but knew was there a few minutes earlier. It got stuck and they scored on him).

Honestly nothing to deserve some of the heat is getting.

Honestly we played fine tonight.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Team was giving up 25+ shots a
Game. He was under seige every night. It wasn't the guys in front of him bailing him out. Cory was bailing the team out.

And some of Cory's early issues can be linked to him being vastly overplayed to start the year. Something Lou himself admitted.

I love how everything is blamed on everybody else on the team and Cory is totally innocent. The revisionist history on this board sometimes...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He had a stretch where he played really really well, and that really bumped up his stats. But he had games where he was really really bad. That doesn't speak consistency to me.

Most of his bad games were in October-November.

Did he have some assorted bad games between December and April? Of course, every goaltender (and player) has bad games or even mini slumps here and there. I wouldn't say a couple assorted bad games here and there from December on would count as not being consistent.

If that qualifies as being inconsistent, then there is no such thing as consistency at all.

Actually I guess you're right in that he wasn't consistent from December on. He actually was just out of this world from January-March, then was just pretty good in April and pretty good in December.

The only prolonged period of poor play from him was last October and November.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I love how everything is blamed on everybody else on the team and Cory is totally innocent. The revisionist history on this board sometimes...

So you think Cory is the reason we were a bottom five team? He must have been historically bad to drive the rest of the all-star roster down that low. If you think the problem with this team is Cory, I don't know what to tell you except I think you aren't watching the games too closely...

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We really don't deserve Cory. Almost any fan base in the league would appreciate him more than we do, apparently. Sheesh.

We're spoiled, plain and simple. We went from one of the best ever to another elite goalie, but somehow we need more consistent goaltending. I swear to Christ we could win 4 straight Cups and somebody still wouldn't be happy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

You are the one revising history. You are completely changing Cory's season to fit your narrative.

He was overplayed to start the season playing in front of one of the worst possession teams on the league and the worst PK in the league.

He eventually settled down and played lights out until the final month when it was clear the season was over.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
We're spoiled, plain and simple. We went from one of the best ever to another elite goalie, but somehow we need more consistent goaltending. I swear to Christ we could win 4 straight Cups and somebody still wouldn't be happy.

Exactly. I think Brodeur gave some people very unrealistic expectations of goaltending. Almost any team in the league would be glad to have Cory. He's our best player. He shouldn't be eaten alive for errors in the pre-season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory did give up about 6-7 soft goals from about the same spot the first month or so, but he adjusted and was fine after that.

The fact that anybody could think Cory needs to be more consistent is just mind boggling to me. He's been one of the most consistent goalies in the league stats wise pretty much since he started in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad