GDT: Preseason 5/7ths-Rangers@Devils

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
So you think Cory is the reason we were a bottom five team? He must have been historically bad to drive the rest of the all-star roster down that low. If you think the problem with this team is Cory, I don't know what to tell you except I think you aren't watching the games too closely...

No, I think Cory was part of the problems when the team was bad, but he was also the reason we won a lot of games we shouldn't have. But that's the definition of inconsistency.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think a lot of you are forgetting why Deboer was fired. The team was doing bad and Cory had some really good games and some bad games. It wasn't til Deboer was gone and the team went super defensive that Cory settled down. This new system requires the goalie to be able to transition the puck quickly and I don't think Cory can do that. Maybe if he just doesn't touch the puck at all.

That isn't exactly true. You're telling me Lundqvist is a good puck mover and can transition the puck well? How about Luongo? Jonathan Quick? He's good at playing the puck too I suppose?

Face it, there are no full package goalies like Marty anymore, that can both handle the puck and stop the puck just as well. Carey Price is about as close as it gets.

Most of your better goaltenders in the league, are not great at puck playing. Most of your good puck moving goalies, are not good puck stoppers in this era. Carey Price the lone exception. Ben Bishop is a great puck mover and an above average puck stopper, though he gets jocked as being a better goaltender than he is because of playing on a stacked team.

Who are the other good puck movers? Mike Smith? He BLOWS at actually stopping the puck, dude couldn't stop a god damn beachball that was blown at him by someone needing a lung transplant last season. And he hasn't been very good at any point either, aside from one anomaly and unsustainably high season.

So we can either have a good puck mover that blows ass at stopping the puck (Mike Smith) or we can have an elite puck stopper that blows at moving the puck. I like my chances with the one that's better at actually stopping the puck and think that's a much more effective trait of a goalie to have 9 times out of 10.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Cory did give up about 6-7 soft goals from about the same spot the first month or so, but he adjusted and was fine after that.

The fact that anybody could think Cory needs to be more consistent is just mind boggling to me. He's been one of the most consistent goalies in the league stats wise pretty much since he started in the NHL.

First 2 months or so, when we were so bad the coach got fired...

Then we changed our system, and bingo, the problem stopped. Now we are changing our system again. You see where I'm going with this?

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
That isn't exactly true. You're telling me Lundqvist is a good puck mover and can transition the puck well? How about Luongo? Jonathan Quick? He's good at playing the puck too I suppose?

Face it, there are no full package goalies like Marty anymore, that can both handle the puck and stop the puck just as well. Carey Price is about as close as it gets.

Most of your better goaltenders in the league, are not great at puck playing. Most of your good puck moving goalies, are not good puck stoppers in this era. Carey Price the lone exception. Ben Bishop is a great puck mover and an above average puck stopper, though he gets jocked as being a better goaltender than he is because of playing on a stacked team.

Who are the other good puck movers? Mike Smith? He BLOWS at actually stopping the puck, dude couldn't stop a god damn beachball that was blown at him by someone needing a lung transplant last season. And he hasn't been very good at any point either, aside from one anomaly and unsustainably high season.

So we can either have a good puck mover that blows ass at stopping the puck (Mike Smith) or we can have an elite puck stopper that blows at moving the puck. I like my chances with the one that's better at actually stopping the puck and think that's a much more effective trait of a goalie to have 9 times out of 10.

No, I'm saying he should stop handling the puck. Like I said, the new system doesn't seem to fit his style of play. It might be better if he just lets the d-men touch the puck instead.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
No, I think Cory was part of the problems when the team was bad, but he was also the reason we won a lot of games we shouldn't have. But that's the definition of inconsistency.

That's probably where you and I differ. This team would be a lot worse off without Cory. He has his flaws, but he's not to blame for this team's struggles. Last year's team would have finished a lot worse with almost any goalie but Cory. That includes Kinkaid.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
That's probably where you and I differ. This team would be a lot worse off without Cory. He has his flaws, but he's not to blame for this team's struggles. Last year's team would have finished a lot worse with almost any goalie but Cory. That includes Kinkaid.

Did you read this board when Marty made the same mistakes? They tore him apart. Even though he gave us years and years of good performance. You think this board has any idea what a good goalie looks like?

Do guys remember reading posts about how great Steve Mason was? Generational talent even? Why don't we all stop pretending we're experienced NHL coaches. Let's face it we all have our own opinions. I don't have the same opinions as you guys. Let's agree to disagree.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Did you read this board when Marty made the same mistakes? They tore him apart. Even though he gave us years and years of good performance. You think this board has any idea what a good goalie looks like?

Marty wasn't good his last year here and was getting more games then the goalie that was playing better. It annoyed people.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

No, I just joined last year, when Marty was already gone, but the fact that people wrongly picked on Marty doesn't mean people should wrongly pick on Cory. Marty was a Hall of Fame goalie--better in his prime than Cory will ever be, honestly--but Cory is an elite goalie, and we can't have Marty in net anymore. We've got to love the new guy and the old guy in my opinion. There can be room in our hearts for both I hope.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've either had too many or too few beers tonight to keep going with this argument.

To few. We had a legit good game. We scored goals. Young forwards looked good and promising. Our new toy in K Palm continues to impress.

Then outside the game we have actual trade rumors involving us. We have cuts happening tomorrow.

So much to talk about and somehow we are arguing about Cory. The most consistent guy we have and the one we have to worry about the least.

No words.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Marty wasn't good his last year here and was getting more games then the goalie that was playing better. It annoyed people.

Marty was not significantly worse than Cory. Yes he was declining but his style of play fit the teams and that resulted in more games won by the team when he was in net. That can't be refuted. Yet people keep making up stuff about how the team played worse in front of Cory. Yeah, those guys went out of their way to play worse in front of Cory but played great in front of Marty. Did you listen to yourselves?

I don't want to go into this again. But like I said, I don't agree with you guys. Let's just leave it at that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We really don't deserve Cory. Almost any fan base in the league would appreciate him more than we do, apparently. Sheesh.
Unfortunately I feel he's also underappreciated around the league, while guys who have one or two good seasons (*cough* Bobrovsky *cough*) are still riding high on a dated reputation or one that was never even firmly in place to begin with. Too many clowns think Holtby, Bobrovsky and Bishop are better. All of them are fine goalies, but unbiasedly I don't see how any are better than Schneider.

The only ones I definitely have ahead of Schneider are Lundqvist, Price, and Rask. Rinne and Quick are about on par, and even Rinne has had a couple not so good seasons recently and Quick has had some a little above average regular seasons and wasn't even that good in the playoffs in 2014 when they lost won the cup. Rinne was not in the best of health those couple meh seasons, to be fair.

You are the one revising history. You are completely changing Cory's season to fit your narrative.

He was overplayed to start the season playing in front of one of the worst possession teams on the league and the worst PK in the league.

He eventually settled down and played lights out until the final month when it was clear the season was over.

There were a couple games late in the season (giving up 3 on 6 shots at MSG and pulled after like 10 minutes into the game) where he didn't necessarily play bad, the puck just wasn't hitting him and the percentages might have been evening out because of how great he played for about 3 months before this. That game in Minnesota where he was lit up also comes to mind. Most of them weren't bad goals or goals he was stopping the 3 months before that, the puck just wasn't hitting him on those nights. Really no chance because of some of the plays and the ways in which they were happening. Or maybe just not in the right place at the right time and a little unlucky.

There some goals that get past a goaltender that you can't do nothing about, just impossible for the puck to hit you in that situation and the way they play transpired. I would say goals 1 and 2 tonight were goals like that. Then there's bad goals that dribble in between your arm and leg or 5 hole, where the puck does hit you but you don't stop it. I'd say that was what happened in goal 3 and I would say that was a bad goal for sure, as he was square to the shooter and it squeaked through a hole near his blocker.

If you think Cory is inconsistent and gives up bad goals, I dare you to watch an Arizona or an Edmonton game which Sievens starts this season. Or TB if that POS Ray Emery makes the team. Those are hideous goalies. Watch that towering buffoon Blimpback too, I think he plays for Arizona. They got Yokozuna Mike Smith and Blimpback now too. Two transformer looking mother****ers that still can't stop ****, despite one guy being 8 feet tall and the other looking like they dropped a sumo wrestler in the net.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I know it's only preseason but the more I see Jon Moore on our blueline, the more I think he'll be the steal of the offseason

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know it's only preseason but the more I see Jon Moore on our blueline, the more I think he'll be the steal of the offseason

Even ranger fans I know admit Moore has legit skill. He just needed to put it together.

He has looked good so he could potentially be a great pick up for us.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There isn't a Devil that could handle the pass Diaz just did.

I'm watching the game DVR'd right now, and following the GDT along with it. This struck me as hilarious because Greene tried that exact same pass later on in the game and Josefson couldn't handle it. :laugh: The pass wasn't nearly as accurate as Diaz but I still laughed when I saw it.

Also I've been much more impressed with Zacha tonight. Looked like he was playing a little more like himself. And if preseason keeps going like this, Gionta might be out of luck. All of Boucher, Josefson, Blandisi, and even Sislo (sorry Bleed, but not all of us judge forwards by their breakaway conversion rate :sarcasm:) have been looking really good, along with Matteau, Zacha, and Thompson in my opinion. I think my favorite part about younger players starting to impress is the possibility that we won't have room to sign Kennedy (please please pleaseeeeee).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm watching the game DVR'd right now, and following the GDT along with it. This struck me as hilarious because Greene tried that exact same pass later on in the game and Josefson couldn't handle it. :laugh: The pass wasn't nearly as accurate as Diaz but I still laughed when I saw it.

Also I've been much more impressed with Zacha tonight. Looked like he was playing a little more like himself. And if preseason keeps going like this, Gionta might be out of luck. All of Boucher, Josefson, Blandisi, and even Sislo (sorry Bleed, but not all of us judge forwards by their breakaway conversion rate :sarcasm:) have been looking really good, along with Matteau, Zacha, and Thompson in my opinion. I think my favorite part about younger players starting to impress is the possibility that we won't have room to sign Kennedy (please please pleaseeeeee).

Agreed. Not seeing room for Gio right now and Kennedy is going to have a hard time earning a contract.

This is what Shero wanted. Kids forcing them to make tough choices.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really want Kennedy at this point, I never really did. He goes invisible for long period's of time, at least he did with San Jose. It seems he might have had a tendency to do that In Pittsburgh too. Maybe since he's without a contract now, he'll be more motivated and it's a reality check as to where he is in his career currently.

Still would rather sign Stempniak.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah that might be the end of Zacha making the team this year. I can't blame him too much for that, he just hasn't been very effective at all in preseason.

That's okay, go down and kick some ass in the OHL.

Such a waste by keeping the pick to take Matteau

Also I really love this whole "he loves me, he loves me not" business that happens every time a young player takes a penalty. :laugh: Matteau gets tangled up and suddenly he shouldn't have been drafted. Zacha takes one of the few smart penalties we've seen this preseason and now he's not making the team.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also I really love this whole "he loves me, he loves me not" business that happens every time a young player takes a penalty. :laugh: Matteau gets tangled up and suddenly he shouldn't have been drafted. Zacha takes one of the few smart penalties we've seen this preseason and now he's not making the team.

Matts scored later so all was forgiven haha

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hmmmm something tells me Burlon took a penalty. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't really think Burlon has looked that good aside from the penalty. He even did something later on after that penalty that annoyed me, I forgot at this point though.

But I don't think anyone in the organization is high on him, he's 25 years old and is probably 5th best on depth chart on defense now. That's not including the young guys that are already established in the NHL.

He's never gotten a measly call up to the NHL during the regular season yet.

And I still don't think Zacha should be on the team, I don't blame him for taking that penalty. He needed to take it.

This was easily his best game so far, don't think he's ready yet for the NHL. No big deal, I don't think many expected him to be.

Matteau does seem to ring up the PIMs. Even in past preseason games I remember it being a problem with him. Like last year.

I don't remember too many penalties in his NHL call up last year.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
why the *** is kennedy the extra attacker

God I'm not the only that thought this. Normally I'd say it was good of him to be in position to take that shot, but those near misses were his calling card in Pittsburgh. He's just not a guy you should be counting on in high-leverage situations. He really isn't a bad player, but for some reason coaches play him above his talent level time and time again.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wasn't trying to rag on anyone about the Burlon penalty, just thought it was funny at that point.

I thought Burlon looked alright early in the preseason, but as the team's improved lately, he gets exposed as the average AHL defenseman he is. I agree he definitely didn't have a good night, and penalties from the whole roster are almost a running joke at this point.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
God I'm not the only that thought this. Normally I'd say it was good of him to be in position to take that shot, but those near misses were his calling card in Pittsburgh. He's just not a guy you should be counting on in high-leverage situations. He really isn't a bad player, but for some reason coaches play him above his talent level time and time again.

The complaint with some in San Jose was he was played below his talent level.

He was very frustrating to me. Hit these hot streaks, then went cold for a while.

The most concerning thing to me so far is that Greene was playing on his off side on the PK again, like last year when we were giving up all those PK goals before Salvador was injured and Greene was finally moved back.

The first PP goal against tonight was very reminiscent of that clown show last year. Not sure if he's been playing that side on the PK every game so far this preseason, or if it was just tonight.

I hope he wasn't during the game where he and Larsson both played. I don't even remember anymore. Hopefully this is just some kind of preseason thing, or until both he and Larsson are in the lineup and in the same game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad