GDT: Preseason 2.0- Devils @ Rangers 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean there isn't a lot to take away from this game long term.

Most guys didn't really stand out positively or negatively which isn't that big a deal since it's so early in preseason.

couple guys did stand out.

Sadly Hrabranka did in a bad way. He shouldn't be thrown in the trash but he wasn't good today at all.

Yann was just trash.

Flip side Lars looked amazing and gives you reason to continue to be excited about our defense.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
Was at the game. Looking at the rosters Devils should have been favorites to win. First line was invisible and No one could stop kreider.
Danis was terrible but Schneider wasn't great either, but he is the one devil with except status. No one on Devils really stood out but on defense I didn't think gragnani or hrabenka has good games, and Greene had some plays he would take back (especially on PP). I think matteau may have put too much pressure on himself as well, he had a pretty crappy turnover which led to a goal.

Tootoo had a good game as did Larsson.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kalinin was terrible last night. He had two terrible giveaways that led to penalty (and goal) and a goal.

Yeah I didn't think he was good either.

I think the general consensus here was that he was not good last night.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yeah I didn't think he was good either.

I think the general consensus here was that he was not good last night.

yeah - and that it could have been nerves, or adjusting to NHL or...

It is fully possible he comes back next game and is good. He just didn't have it last night.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like Kalinin could be a very useful bottom six player if he can adjust his game to North America.

Might take some time though, but he's go the size and the ability to play to play in a Brian Boyle-esque role.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would prefer a center who is strong in the faceoff. That is the main reason I am against Elias at center.

I don't want him there again either, but we don't really have a lot of options. I'm not a believer in Josefson as anything more than a fourth liner. Which is why I wouldn't have minded bringing Gomez back. I think he could have slotted in nicely on the third line, and allowed Josefson to center the fourth line. But that ship has sailed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't want him there again either, but we don't really have a lot of options. I'm not a believer in Josefson as anything more than a fourth liner. Which is why I wouldn't have minded bringing Gomez back. I think he could have slotted in nicely on the third line, and allowed Josefson to center the fourth line. But that ship has sailed.

Yeah I would have really liked Gomez back too BUT, since we bought our Zubrus, I won't complain about not bringing him back too much.

If we still had Zubrus but didn't bring back Gomez, I would have been really mad. I felt that Zubrus would have been kept around before Gomez because it was just easier to dispose of Gomez since Zubrus had a year left on his contract and Gomez didn't have any left on his.

As long as the nightmare of PL3 getting an NHL spot doesn't become reality, I'll be fine.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
So Zajac and Cammer actually played a lot but they werent even mentioned in the highlights. Ugh, i wish they shake off the off season soon.

Nevertheless, its fun to watch the preseason games, with all the rookies and nervous plays on both sides. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just watching the highlights, I missed the first half of the game. I actually didn't get it until the very end of the 2nd period when it was still 2-2, right after Sislo scored.

Cory didn't really play good or bad. Wasn't really tested much, I didn't think the first goal was very bad. He's never been known for his glove hand, as is the case with most butterfly goalies. Second goal on him was a one timer, wouldn't say that was a bad goal at all.

First goal on Danis wasn't really a bad goal, but the guy didn't even flinch on it. Didn't even move his glove hand on that one. Second goal he allowed was just really nasty all around. Even Sam Rosen's reaction was ''A misplay by Danis'' damn that goal was awful. Goal 5 was a deflection off Ramen Noodles skate, goal 6 was a backdoor 5 on 3 PP goal that he really had no chance on at all. Basically an empty net where the shooter (don't even remember who scored) couldn't miss.

Danis just looked shaky all night long though. The post shot seconds before the goal that deflected off of Hrabarenka's skate was real ugly and another one where he went down too early and barely flinched. I kept seeing imaginary pucks fly past him tonight, every time someone fired a puck. He just looked beatable all night long. Same thing with Wedgewood last night.

Sislo's goal wasn't that special, looked like it deflected off a Ranger. The one he scored against Philly in the preseason two years ago was much nicer. Sislo is the organization's ''New Tim Sestito'' at best. Sestito was a pretty decent player in the AHL also, like Sislo is. He's probably a better NHL player than Sestito, as he could probably get a goal before the 100 game mark, which Sestito was not able to achieve. I don't really care if he's a good possession player or if he's got mad wheels or whatever. I'll never be a believer in this player at the NHL level. Still wish we gave Joe Whitney all the ice time and call ups he got the last two years. Whitney also managed to match Sislo's NHL point total of 1 point in just 4 NHL career games, while Sislo has 1 in 24 NHL regular season games. And I actually thought Sislo had 2 NHL career points already. Yikes. Sislo might even been what Rod Pelley was at the NHL level in 2007-2011. Pelley had a half dozen points per year and could kill penalties and was pretty fast during those years too. But I'd say he's a much better player than Rod Pelley is currently in 2015.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Doubt we'll be seing Danis anymore, so I don't really care about his play at this point. Schneider and Kinkaid will probably play most, if not all, of the remaining games. Wedgewood might get one game or half a game.

So, who thinks Kennedy should get a contract?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Doubt we'll be seing Danis anymore, so I don't really care about his play at this point. Schneider and Kinkaid will probably play most, if not all, of the remaining games. Wedgewood might get one game or half a game.

So, who thinks Kennedy should get a contract?

I don't even think Wedgewood should play either at this point, but I'd give him another chance before Danis. Maybe dress them as Schneider or Kinkaid's backups for the remainder of these games, but I wouldn't give them any minutes unless it's relief minutes.

If I only watched this game, I'd probably think Kennedy should get a contract too. Watching him with the Sharks these last couple years, he's prone to have these games like tonight and then disappear for VERY long stretches. I'd rather have him on the 4th line if we signed him, but I don't think they'd want him for the 4th line if he was signed.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Is it just my eternally optimistic homer glasses or was Burlon surprisingly good tonight? I wasn't expecting to notice him at all, but he was making a lot of nice plays transitioning the puck from D to O.

I also liked Kujawinski again (though my bar for him is pretty low), and I thought he and Sislo looked better than O'Brien and Gionta. Kinda tough to judge the forwards in a game like this though, with basically every line outside the first having to tow at least one boat anchor around.

Kennedy also looked really good, but I think we've all seen how much more the PTO guys tend to hustle than the contracted players. It's how we ended up with a season of Adam Mair.

As far Hrabarenka, he had a real up and down game. I saw a fair amount of things I liked, and a lot of what looked like jitters or brain farts. Maybe that first goal against shook him up a bit, though that was more a freak accident thanks to the terrible passing right before the puck hit his skate. Curious to see what he looks like if he gets another game.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Is it just my eternally optimistic homer glasses or was Burlon surprisingly good tonight? I wasn't expecting to notice him at all, but he was making a lot of nice plays transitioning the puck from D to O.

I also liked Kujawinski again (though my bar for him is pretty low), and I thought he and Sislo looked better than O'Brien and Gionta. Kinda tough to judge the forwards in a game like this though, with basically every line outside the first having to tow at least one boat anchor around.

Kennedy also looked really good, but I think we've all seen how much more the PTO guys tend to hustle than the contracted players. It's how we ended up with a season of Adam Mair.

As far Hrabarenka, he had a real up and down game. I saw a fair amount of things I liked, and a lot of what looked like jitters or brain farts. Maybe that first goal against shook him up a bit, though that was more a freak accident thanks to the terrible passing right before the puck hit his skate. Curious to see what he looks like if he gets another game.

He was a pleasant surprise for me, i thought him and matteau were the only positives last night for bubble players, i don't pay much attention to guys that are signed.. i though kennedy had some jump too but he should he is playing for a contract.

Hbranka....sp? well.... i don't need to see him again this year he needs to be way quicker in everything he does at this level... not impressed at all with his game first time i have seen him play though.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
I'd rather have Kennedy as the 4th line C than Gionta, but on the other hand signing him would push one young guy out of the lineup.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Was at the game. Looking at the rosters Devils should have been favorites to win. First line was invisible and No one could stop kreider.

Funny how the coach didn't see it the same way about the first line (from TG):

Who else stood out for you?

“I thought Cory Schneider did a really good job after the early two goals. I thought he made a couple key saves for us, particularly in the second period that I thought were game changers that kept us pretty close in there and brought our team momentum, which is important particularly when you're coming from behind. I thought Travis Zajac had a real good game. He and (Mike) Cammalleri played real well and were skating well and moving the puck. Marc-Andre Gragnani, I thought he looked good. He moved the puck well. He was a key on the power play, running it up top like that and Andy Greene was, I thought, really solid for us.â€

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I have not been impressed by much of anything these 1st two games.

They let a Providence team outplay them and last night's Rags roster wasn't too good either, and neither was ours, but the Devils have been outskated, out-skilled and out-hit in the two contests.

I know Hynes and Shero are getting a look at quite a few players but I'd like to see more scoring chances and puck possession the next few games.

And most importantly, they can't let goons like Glass two-hand chop a player like Tlusty and get away with it.
Tootoo, Pelley or someone else in that lineup should have dropped the gloves with Glass later that game.

The team needs to be tight-knit this season and refuse to get pushed around.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I have not been impressed by much of anything these 1st two games.

They let a Providence team outplay them and last night's Rags roster wasn't too good either, and neither was ours, but the Devils have been outskated, out-skilled and out-hit in the two contests.
I know Hynes and Shero are getting a look at quite a few players but I'd like to see more scoring chances and puck possession the next few games.

And most importantly, they can't let goons like Glass two-hand chop a player like Tlusty and get away with it.
Tootoo, Pelley or someone else in that lineup should have dropped the gloves with Glass later that game.

The team needs to be tight-knit this season and refuse to get pushed around.
It's only pre-season but the collective skill level of our forwards is at the bottom of the NHL. Nothing has changed. Why people expect anything better is beyond me.
Hope yes. Realistically expect no.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
They are going to stink in the regular season with a full NHL roster.
They are certainly going to stink in the preseason with half a NHL roster.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Burlon stood out to me in a positive way as well & he isn’t really someone I had on my radar. I didn’t realize he was a 2nd rounder and even though he’s older, he might be a nice depth guy in Albany in case a few injuries hit. Would be interesting to see if he can stand out like that again.

I was interested in Hrabarenka and was watching him – he looked overwhelmed at times. I thought he’d challenge for the 7th d-man spot and maybe even push for a spot in the top 6, but he was a liability out there way too often. Made a few nice plays and maybe some of it was nerves, but it’s tough to see him making the team now after that performance (especially given the top 7 seemed more or less set).

None of the forwards really stood out, which was disappointing. Two games now without a 5 on 5 goal.

Larsson impressed as well.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm not worried about him obviously, but if it were Wedge that let in those 2 goals instead of Cory he would have been ripped here.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Re: Hynes comments on returning roster

I think Hynes just wants to keep things positive because it would be pointless to critique regulars like Cammalleri and Zajac in a preseason game everyone will forget in a couple weeks if not sooner. He's certainly not going to say anything less than positive as they're just getting back, not to mention some youngsters probably look up to vets like Cam (wearing an 'A' last night for the first time I noticed though that could just be during this preseason).

Also while Hynes is head coach, he's also a newcomer to the NHL and NJD. So while it's good that he doesn't have established favorites necessarily, it's still crucial to cultivate collective faith and buy-in from the team on whatever he asks of them so he's keeping things on the up and up toward achieving that vibe for now. I expect he'll get real in the locker room sooner than later but for now where the press is concerned, we're just one big happy family and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad