GDT: Preseason 2.0- Devils @ Rangers 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not worried about him obviously, but if it were Wedge that let in those 2 goals instead of Cory he would have been ripped here.

Now let's be serious here DD. You should know why that is.

Cory has proved to be an elite goaltender in this league. Wedgewood has proved to be one in the worst pro level goaltenders in North America the last three years. Cory is good, Wedgewood sucks ass. Cory should be given the benefit of the doubt, a sucky goaltender like Wedgewood absolutely should not.

When Wedgewood can have 5 years of upper echelon goaltending in the NHL, he can give up some weak goals. As long as he keeps on consistently providing some of the worst and lower echelon goaltending in the AHL, he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt at all.

Cory has proved to be a top 5-6 NHL goalie. Wedgewood's ceiling at this point is to me is no higher than Richard Bachmann or.... Wait for it.... Yann Danis. And I'm dead serious about that. Career minor leaguer that has a chance to be a third string NHL goalie.

Maybe that's being too harsh on him but realistically I think Wedgewood is the next Scott Clemmensen at best case scenario. Career minor leaguer that might hit a hot streak in the NHL that buys him 5 years as a full time backup in the league.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I agree with Hynes. Zajac and Camm looked fine. Nothing spectacular, but they looked fine.

I thought Zajac's skating overall looked better from last year.

He looked like Parise-Era Zajac just on skating alone. I really hope he just steps it up offensively. We need him.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Now let's be serious here DD. You should know why that is.

Cory has proved to be an elite goaltender in this league. Wedgewood has proved to be one in the worst pro level goaltenders in North America the last three years. Cory is good, Wedgewood sucks ass. Cory should be given the benefit of the doubt, a sucky goaltender like Wedgewood absolutely should not.

When Wedgewood can have 5 years of upper echelon goaltending in the NHL, he can give up some weak goals. As long as he keeps on consistently providing some of the worst and lower echelon goaltending in the AHL, he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt at all.

Cory has proved to be a top 5-6 NHL goalie. Wedgewood's ceiling at this point is to me is no higher than Richard Bachmann or.... Wait for it.... Yann Danis. And I'm dead serious about that. Career minor leaguer that has a chance to be a third string NHL goalie.

Maybe that's being too harsh on him but realistically I think Wedgewood is the next Scott Clemmensen at best case scenario. Career minor leaguer that might hit a hot streak in the NHL that buys him 5 years as a full time backup in the league.

Yet once in a while he lets in those goals even in the regular season. They are inexplicable and it totally kills our team's chances of winning a game. Yes he is great when he is on. But enough of these blunders and we lose the season.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yet once in a while he lets in those goals even in the regular season. They are inexplicable and it totally kills our team's chances of winning a game. Yes he is great when he is on. But enough of these blunders and we lose the season.

Cory is the least of our problems. If he's the reason we have a losing season (rather than a reason we don't finish in last place), I'll eat my Adam Henrique jersey. Cory isn't perfect, but he absolutely is an elite goaltender, and we're very lucky to have him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Here we go again already!

Gimme a break. Every goaltender gives up these inexplicably bad goals once in a while. Lundqvist, Price, everyone's golden boy Jonathan Quick gives up a lot of weird ones, Marty, Roy, Hasek.

And enough of those blunders and we lose the season? Cory would need to have Carey Price's last season for us to probably make the playoffs this year. Or are you implying that they cost us last season?

You should thank (or curse him if you're a pro tanker) #35 that this team wasn't an absolute and complete embarrassment last year.

Edmonton was better than our team last year, I'm pretty sure they even allowed less shots per game too believe it or not. But they had some scab that they picked up off the streets playing goal for them. They actually had two different guys playing goal for them that don't belong in this league. That Swedish guy was already chased out of the league this offseason. Arizona probably wasn't even as bad, but they have a glorified career backup for a starter. They also signed Blimpback this year, which tells me they're tanking.

If we had average goaltending (or God forbid ECHL level goaltending like Arizona and Edmonton) we're easily second worst in the league. Buffalo provably still would have been worse. They're goaltending was decent, everything else was just mind numbingly awful.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think people need to remember this needs to be looked at more for individual performances.

They have only practiced like 6 days. It's going to take almost half a season before they start to look remotely comfortable in the new system if it even works.

Expecting them to just go and out play teams that have an established order and system is beyond unrealistic.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think people need to remember this needs to be looked at more for individual performances.

They have only practiced like 6 days. It's going to take almost half a season before they start to look remotely comfortable in the new system if it even works.

Expecting them to just go and out play teams that have an established order and system is beyond unrealistic.

Exactly.

I'm looking at individual skill while also gauging their age and where they are at. A guy like White getting pushed around out there is expected; someone like Hrabarenka looking out of place is a little more concerning. Guys like Zacha, White, Quenneville, Palmieri, Kalinin, Moore are standing out to me that way.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
OFFS

when I turned the stream off I literally said to myself "the only thing that will make me regret this is a Larsson goal"

any video of it?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

What are you talking about? Every single goalie lets in bad goals. Hasek did it. Brodeur did it. Roy did it.

Cory Schneider, outside of Price, was the most consistent goaltender in the NHL last season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What are you talking about? Every single goalie lets in bad goals. Hasek did it. Brodeur did it. Roy did it.

Cory Schneider, outside of Price, was the most consistent goaltender in the NHL last season.

I take it you didn't see much of Talbot, Dubnyk or Holtby last season?:sarcasm:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The hate on Wedgewood is insane. He hasn't been great or what we thought he'd be when we drafted him, but unless I'm missing something calling him one of the worst pro goalies in North America is off.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The hate on Wedgewood is insane. He hasn't been great or what we thought he'd be when we drafted him, but unless I'm missing something calling him one of the worst pro goalies in North America is off.

Bleed has a notorious tendency to overexagerate some things, if you haven't noticed by now, especially with regards to goalies.

Just ask him about Lindback or Markstrom.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Bleed has a notorious tendency to overexagerate some things, if you haven't noticed by now, especially with regards to goalies.

Just ask him about Lindback or Markstrom.
Except it really isn't an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure he's been near the bottom of the AHL in save percentage since he debuted in Albany. In Trenton he was a dead even 90% goaltender, but that's probably not that bad for ECHL standards. His career AHL save percentage is under 90%. How isn't he one of the worst goalies in North America? Close to 80 AHL games and he's averaged stopping a little over 89%of the shots he's faced? I know he was dead last, maybe second to last in the league in save percentage 2 years ago. Last year he had a 903% (WOO! Bronx Cheer!)

So how is calling Wedgewood one of the worst pro goalies in North America an exaggeration? An 89% something save percentage over 77 games? If you can show me a list of AHL goaltenders who have performed that badly over their last 75-80 games, I'll gladly retract my ''One of the worst pro goaltender's in North America'' statement, but I don't think you're gonna find a list that has more than 2 or 3 goaltenders with that bad of a performance in the AHL over the last 2 seasons. At least not in that sample size.

So until I see more than a handful of guys who have performed worse than that in the AHL over the last 2 seasons, with a sizeable amount of games played, I will continue referring to him as ''One of the worst pro goaltenders in North America'' and I don't think that's much of an exaggeration.

And in this time, Wedgewood has managed to be heavily outplayed by both of his Albany teammates in net. Keith Kinkaid and wait for it..... SCOTT CLEMMENSEN! If I really wanted to be petty, I could also say Maxime Clermont. Though the sample size of AHL games started by Clermont isn't strong enough
Or Ray Emery :laugh:
And as I've said though, Emery has been the worst consistently in the league since 2007. There's been guys who've had worse seasons than him for sure in that time period, but he's consistently been bad. Even with his FLUKE 2013 season. That was the same reason Carey Price stunk, if that doesn't tell you how fluky that season was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig