GDT: Preseason – Sabres at Canadiens – Sun Sep 15 – 7:30pm – RDS – WGR, TSN 690

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

I remember there was a Sabres fan last year screaming from the mountain tops that sending Girgensons to the AHL last year was going to ruin his development. The strides he made last year to this year are remarkable. You can see how much physically stronger he is with the puck, in the corners, driving the net. The AHL for him at 18 was like boot camp. And really it makes the case for putting Risto there this year and leaving him. Wish Zadorov could go to.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I remember there was a Sabres fan last year screaming from the mountain tops that sending Girgensons to the AHL last year was going to ruin his development. The strides he made last year to this year are remarkable. You can see how much physically stronger he is with the puck, in the corners, driving the net. The AHL for him at 18 was like boot camp. And really it makes the case for putting Risto there this year and leaving him. Wish Zadorov could go to.

That was JFB. He is a very knowledgeable poster when it comes to prospects. Honestly girgs has developed well, but I'm still nervous about his offensive upside too. He may only become a 40 point third longer.

There are a lot of things to like about him though

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
I thought McBain was awful last night. Turnover machine with pressure on him.

And not that this is news to anyone, Grigorenko looked lost, lazy, slow- same as last year. Hopefully just getting some rust off in the first game but I'm not too sure that is it....

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

And not that this is news to anyone, Grigorenko looked lost, lazy, slow- same as last year. Hopefully just getting some rust off in the first game but I'm not too sure that is it....

No center is going to look good playing with Leino. Leino gets the puck against the boards, spins away from the Dman in the corner and skates towards the wing near the blue line, spins away from the wing near the blue line towards the Dman in the corner, spins away from the Dman in the corner towards the wing at the blue line. He does this 3 or 4 times in a row until he eventually turns the puck over. Nothing comes from it aside from Leino getting credited with time possessing the puck, which stat fans then use to pump Leino up as a puck hawking puck possessing demon. Most important thing for Grigo's development this year is going to be getting him on a line with the right chemistry. He's an amazing play maker. Unreal ability to thread passes through traffic, especially on the rush. He needs fast wingers driving the net to feed too. That's how he'll get points. Leino is the exact opposite. Ennis would fit the bill. Armia should be given a chance there too.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Enjoy him in Rochester.

Just my prediction. Didn't think that before training camp, but think that now with the way they are giving Ristolainen a chance.
Depends on if they are going to keep 8 D or 14 forwards.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I remember there was a Sabres fan last year screaming from the mountain tops that sending Girgensons to the AHL last year was going to ruin his development. The strides he made last year to this year are remarkable. You can see how much physically stronger he is with the puck, in the corners, driving the net. The AHL for him at 18 was like boot camp.

As late as February, when Girgensons was sitting out a month with his second concussion of the season, many fans were still questioning whether the AHL was the right decision for him.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
As late as February, when Girgensons was sitting out a month with his second concussion of the season, many fans were still questioning whether the AHL was the right decision for him.

He was hit high and late. To say that was the result of him playing in the AHL vs juniors is obviously biased. A player is prone to injury on cheapshots in any league. He could have been playing vs high school players, got hit late in the head and gotten a concussion.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Watched highlights:
Grigorenko's shootout move was pretty slick.
Love Hackett's dark pads. Also like his shootout poise.

Where did you find them? I seem to be too dumb to dig them up on the Sabres page and the Canadiens just have the Habs goals...

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
That was JFB. He is a very knowledgeable poster when it comes to prospects. Honestly girgs has developed well, but I'm still nervous about his offensive upside too. He may only become a 40 point third longer.

There are a lot of things to like about him though

nothing wrong with a defensively apt 40-point 3rd liner. also, you have to account for the goals he won't let in vs. a higher-scoring, less defensive player. just his energy will provide some intangibles for the rest of the team to feed off of as well. let's hope he keeps that energy in check as he seems to have a knack for taking unnecessary penalties (in his last two games). i'm sure that will work itself out with more experience.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Really liked Zadorov on the PP actually. Very calm and made quick decisions.

Ristolainen was like a 27 year old vet out there. For the first time in a while I had no fears when he had the puck. I really liked what I saw from him. Also got a wrister through the crowd that led to Gillies' goal.

Agreed. Both looked big, clam, confident. On the PP they not only made quick decisions, but the right ones as well. Especially liked that they were willing to pull the trigger and get a shot on net. Often see rookies too afraid to shoot, becoming pass happy and predictable.

Mcbain is going to give people fits. Has all of the skill but just seems to make mistakes. And they are bad ones too.

Yup. Absolutely. Dont expect it to change despite his age.

Grigs needs to get confident about his offensive decision making. He can make the plays, he just has to commit to them.

Agreed. Guy really needs a mega dose of confidence and relaxation. Can see him with a death grip on the stick.

Hackett was VERY calm in net. Really liked what he was doing with his positioning.

I prefer him to Enroth.

Enroth did not look good however. That 5-hole was open as it was two years ago.

The shorter pad rule is going to hurt him bad. Will result in a bigger 5 hole now. Harder to squeeze that gap closed. Not good news for Enroth IMO.

Pysyk was phenominal. When we don't talk about him is when he is at his best. The guy just is sensational and probably my favorite prospect.

Under the radar for the rest of the NHL atm. Wont be for long.

Great write up. Agreed with the vast majority of your comments / insights.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Enjoy him in Rochester.

Just my prediction. Didn't think that before training camp, but think that now with the way they are giving Ristolainen a chance.
Depends on if they are going to keep 8 D or 14 forwards.

My opinion as well. Felt that way since the draft completed and feel more that way now. He has skill but has a lot of holes to his game and looks panicked with and without the puck.

RR and Zad look way more composed, clam and confident, and they are eclipsed by Pysyk in those departments. A crowded group of talent young D, and IMO McBain will not be able to beat out enough of them to make the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad