GDT: Preseason – Sabres at Canadiens – Sun Sep 15 – 7:30pm – RDS – WGR, TSN 690

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I have to say that the Montreal fan base hate for Grigorenko because he was rated higher than Gretzchenyuk for like 3 months by ISS like 3 years ago is hilariously pathetic. So much insecurity.

Oiler fans hate Grigorenko too.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The argument that Kaleta can't kill penalties when he's taking them doesn't hold water...mostly because the vast majority of penalties are taken by Sabres NOT named Kaleta. He's available to kill what, >95% of all penalties the Sabres take?

Kaleta is not a perfect player. But he is an effective player.

And no forward on this team is more willing to block shots than Kaleta. None.

I'd say Weber and Kaleta are equally willing to block shots.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks! I really appreciate you going through that in so much detail for me.

I feel like I picked a good first game to watch, in terms of it being a real nail-biter all the way until the end.

And the shootout was so nerve-wracking.

No problem, feel free to ask questions and disregard anyone who's a ***** about it.

Hockey penalty shots (thus shootouts) are the most exciting thing in sports. I was against bringing the shootout into the game as it's not a great way to determine a winner, but I now support keeping it because it's clearly good for the popularity of the sport. They just need to alter the standings points system so that winning a game in a 4 on 4 overtime or shootout doesn't give you the same amount of points as winning in regulation.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
No problem, feel free to ask questions and disregard anyone who's a ***** about it.

Hockey penalty shots (thus shootouts) are the most exciting thing in sports. I was against bringing the shootout into the game as it's not a great way to determine a winner, but I now support keeping it because it's clearly good for the popularity of the sport. They just need to alter the standings points system so that winning a game in a 4 on 4 overtime or shootout doesn't give you the same amount of points as winning in regulation.
3 points for a regulation/OT win
2 for a SO win
1 for a SO loss

It's incredible that the NHL persists with a Standings system that awards a different amount of points depending on how close it is. Talk about encouraging defensive/trap type play :shakehead:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Great to have hockey back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like Zadorov's game. I think they got their future 1st pairing, all situation, 25 minutes a game pairing in the first round this year.

Hackett seems very cool and collected in net and I think he will be the eventual successor in net.

Larsson, Hackett, Zadorov and whatever the 2nd turns into looks like quite a haul for Pominville. Sort of reminds me of when they traded Mogilny to the Canucks and picked up Peca and McKee. Two kids that helped those late 90s runs the team made.

Zemgus looks like he will be the heart and soul of this team in a year or two.

Grigs has so much skill and I like him on that line with Ott and Leino. It always looks like he is so concerned with his defensive responsibilities that he sacrifices the opportunity to go for it offensively. I hope he loosens up over time because the talent is there to become a very good centre for the Sabres.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
3 points for a regulation/OT win
2 for a SO win
1 for a SO loss

It's incredible that the NHL persists with a Standings system that awards a different amount of points depending on how close it is. Talk about encouraging defensive/trap type play :shakehead:

I actually typed out how it should be 3-2-1, but I deleted it from my comment before posting. There's absolutely NO REASON why it shouldn't be 3-2-1. Every game is worth the same amount of points: 3. It's asinine to have some games worth 2 points and some worth 3.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I actually typed out how it should be 3-2-1, but I deleted it from my comment before posting. There's absolutely NO REASON why it shouldn't be 3-2-1. Every game is worth the same amount of points: 3. It's asinine to have some games worth 2 points and some worth 3.

Yep, 3 point games in the future and barring ties coming back I'm all about that. Variable point games bothers me aesthetically.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have said this before....

3 for regulation win

2 for OT win

2 for SO win

1 for SO loss

0 for OT/Regulation loss

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So I missed this one outside of a few minutes of the second period on the radio.

How did McCormick fair in his bouts? I see he went twice.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
So I missed this one outside of a few minutes of the second period on the radio.

How did McCormick fair in his bouts? I see he went twice.

Didnt get a real good look at the first one, but from what I saw it was a draw with few pounches thrown or landed. More of a wrestling match that the refs broke up before either could get an arm loose to start throwing. A solid job by both of trying up the arm of the opponent.

Second fight he was responding to a bit of a hit from behind and while the fight was again short he landed a few really nice shots. First one sent the helmet flying off, second one connected and stung the guy, buckled his knees a bit. Started to do a jersey pullover / uppercut on the guy but the refs saw he was in a bad spot and stepped in.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I was pretty impressed with the Kaleta - McCormick - Gillies line as a whole. All three were taking the body really well and parked themselves into the crease as much as they could.

Really liked Zadorov on the PP actually. Very calm and made quick decisions.

Ristolainen was like a 27 year old vet out there. For the first time in a while I had no fears when he had the puck. I really liked what I saw from him. Also got a wrister through the crowd that led to Gillies' goal.

Mcbain is going to give people fits. Has all of the skill but just seems to make mistakes. And they are bad ones too.

Ott was taking major runs at people. If he connected on the hit where he lined up Reway, they would have still been picking Reway up as we speak.

Porter had the legs going but he and Flynn I weren't too impressed with.

Larsonn is the reason Girgs can play the way he does. When Girgs is on the wing he can use his speed and size more without the added responsibility. Those two can anchor our second line in a few years for sure.

Grigs needs to get confident about his offensive decision making. He can make the plays, he just has to commit to them.

Hackett was VERY calm in net. Really liked what he was doing with his positioning.

Enroth did not look good however. That 5-hole was open as it was two years ago.

Pysyk was phenominal. When we don't talk about him is when he is at his best. The guy just is sensational and probably my favorite prospect.

Zadorov is big.

Actually was quite impressed with Leino tonight. He can be a puck possession wizard and had some nice passes today.

Weird seeing Tallinder back in a uni.

That's about all I can remember right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad