GWT: Premier League Matchday 25, 2\11 - 2\13

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think anyone expected Vardy to come crashing down to earth this hard.Also it would have looked bad if they sold Vardy after selling Kanté.

He scored 5 goals in his first season in the league and has 5 now, his 24 goal haul last year was an anomaly. I mean the guy is fast but that's really all he has going for him, he can't help break down a defense and he's not a bad finisher, but nothing special. I'm not surprised at all honestly.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Who can they beat in the league? Palace? Maybe Sunderland?

Huth and Morgan are completely overmatched at this point. Schmeichel is nowhere near where he was last year. They have nothing on offense save Gray. Even then, there's no one for him to pass to. Vardy has been awful. Mahrez is invisible. I wonder what would've happened if they'd sold those two on top of selling Kante. It's sad to watch them play in the league right now.

I think they still have enough talent that if they completely focus on the league they can squeeze out enough points to stay up.

They certainly haven't done themselves any favors though being only a point in safety and being in bad form.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I said that it would have been in the best interest for both player and club if he had taken the big money move.

He was only going to get one.

In hindsight it probably would've been better to ship off all three their biggest names and use the money to try to pick up new diamonds in the rough.

By the same token, I don't agree that they should give up on Europe and focus on the league. Even if they won all the rest of their games as a result (which they wouldn't by any stretch) it's not going to get them a top position. I don't see what's wrong with trying their best to put in the best showing possible in Europe, as they're liable to never get another chance.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In hindsight it probably would've been better to ship off all three their biggest names and use the money to try to pick up new diamonds in the rough.

By the same token, I don't agree that they should give up on Europe and focus on the league. Even if they won all the rest of their games as a result (which they wouldn't by any stretch) it's not going to get them a top position. I don't see what's wrong with trying their best to put in the best showing possible in Europe, as they're liable to never get another chance.

Because they won't win Europe and surviving relegation is a much more important task.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Once Leicester lost Kante, they probably should have unloaded Vardy and Mahrez as well and bought as many young talents with that money as they could possible get. Difficult to explain that to your fans though after winning the title.

Man City have two CBs (Kompany and Otamendi) on the bench today, and yet are playing Sagna at CB and Fernandinho at RB. The Pep Effect :laugh:

Kompany is probably rusty, and Otamendi has been poor again this season just like last, so I can't be too hard on Pep for trying to find something better.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Because they won't win Europe and surviving relegation is a much more important task.

I'm just not sure their league performance would improve as a result. It's been since the new year that they've really been stinking it up, a month after their last CL game, while during their CL campaign they were actually playing better.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm just not sure their league performance would improve as a result. It's been since the new year that they've really been stinking it up, a month after their last CL game, while during their CL campaign they were actually playing better.

I'm assuming they'd rather stay in the BPL than go maybe one extra round in the CL. I mean they're going to lose a lot of money if they get relegated.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
With parachute payments and then selling their top assets (without Fan revolt) they're going to be ok even if they go down. I also think they've got enough to stay up if they were bounced out of the CL.

That said, I don't know that their manager is the guy to groom young talent. I'm not sure he's quite in it for an all out rebuild.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

Agreed, who knows when they will next be in the CL. Might as well go all out against Sevilla.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad