GWT: Premier League Gameweek 11

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean, he'll probably score more in the PL than West Ham as a team next season.
Lol quite possible.

In any event, I'm eagerly awaiting your next over the top Liverpool comment. Maybe a more nuanced follow up to your definition of expectation versus prediction? Though, bar none, my favorite will always be during the first Suarez incident when you said it wasn't actually that big a deal because diseases aren't communicable through biting :laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
One, I never said the latter so I don't know why you guys keep making things up especially since you never follow up with evidence after making ridiculous claims, but if you guys want to believe what you write be my guest. Expectation and prediction are not the same thing despite their similarities, especially in context, but if you can't wrap your head around that I can't help you either.

The funny thing is you guys are getting all up in arms because I said 'if' Salah improves his finishing he 'could' be a 40 goal scorer (hey, if this guy who is on pace for over 30 goals were an even better player he'd have even more goals! like...hot take of the year). Still, hyperbole based on all of the great scoring chances he creates and positions he gets himself into but doesn't finish. You must really not have a lot going on to be that upset over that comment. Life must be hard.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You absolutely did say the Suarez thing. I remember vividly because I responded and LITN deleted both posts. I think he just wanted to save you added embarrassment. How could I even make something like that up? It's completely insane.

If only those posts survived. Man, what a gold mine.

Not sure how you've managed to arrive at the conclusion that the only explanation for ribbing your incredible comments/predictions/expectations is being 'upset'. I, for one, have a great time with them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I said that it wasn't worse to me than someone intentionally trying to break someone's leg/ankle/etc. with a dirty tackle, even though it was punished far more severely. Then the discussion became about why people had such a big problem with biting, etc.

Well you seem to be quite bothered by them. That said if your obsession with my posts brings you great joy I'm happy (if you need to twist what actually happens to help with that, please continue to do so). I do think that you could probably find a more fulfilling hobby but eh...whatever floats your boat.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Oh, my mistake. You only brought up the communicability of disease through biting as supporting evidence to your contention that bad tackles and biting really aren't all that different. That changes everything!

I'm hardly one to have a go at you as much as other people on the board, so no idea why you're trying to ascribe obsessiveness to it. I more admire from afar. If it were up to me Curtinho, you would never change.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You absolutely did say the Suarez thing. I remember vividly because I responded and LITN deleted both posts. I think he just wanted to save you added embarrassment. How could I even make something like that up? It's completely insane.

If only those posts survived. Man, what a gold mine.

It had to be some other reason, but I don't know now because all that board history is gone. I do however remember someone saying it wasn't a big deal, which is very funny. I don't care if anyone gets embarrassed tbh and it's usually a good time around here whenever that happens.

As for Ox, he's been good, but he's not a goal scorer and those two goals or his goal total doesn't really reflect the way he plays. He is good at busting through midfield and providing the hockey assist to lead to a scoring chance, in combination with forcing opponents to make bad passes. He also brings some pace that Liverpool didn't have in midfield. Coutinho, Lallana, and especially Can and Wijnaldum are a little slow. I'd be incredibly surprised if he scored more than 5 goals this season, but that doesn't make him a bad player. He rarely shoots after all. I didn't want him particularly as the summer window developed, but I've always thought he was a good player, and right now he looks like a solid buy. I wouldn't be surprised if he did claim a midfield position after all.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
It had to be some other reason, but I don't know now because all that board history is gone. I do however remember someone saying it wasn't a big deal, which is very funny. I don't care if anyone gets embarrassed tbh and it's usually a good time around here whenever that happens.

As for Ox, he's been good, but he's not a goal scorer and those two goals or his goal total doesn't really reflect the way he plays. He is good at busting through midfield and providing the hockey assist to lead to a scoring chance, in combination with forcing opponents to make bad passes. He also brings some pace that Liverpool didn't have in midfield. Coutinho, Lallana, and especially Can and Wijnaldum are a little slow. I'd be incredibly surprised if he scored more than 5 goals this season, but that doesn't make him a bad player. I didn't want him particularly as the summer window developed, but I've always thought he was a good player, and right now he looks like a solid buy. I wouldn't be surprised if he did claim a midfield position after all.

If anybody has a chance to score 40 goals at Liverpool it would be Ox. His best game oddly enough was due to his backtracking on defense against Barcelona in the CL. Still think we beat them if he doesn't get stomped on by Alves.

Suarez's biting has always been overblown. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. He could've broken legs, noses, etc, and not gotten as big of a suspension. Biting somebody is a little childish but not that dangerous.

Reactions: All Might

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean I wouldn't go so far as to say it wasn't that big of a deal but I do agree it was and is overblown and yes it's definitely more childish than dangerous. It's the type of thing kids do; breaking legs/ankles or tearing tendons etc. is much worse IMO.

As for Ox. Always been in favour of signing him and a big fan of his potential. I also think he becomes more of a scorer under Klopp.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I mean I wouldn't go so far as to say it wasn't that big of a deal but I do agree it was and is overblown and yes it's definitely more childish than dangerous. It's the type of thing kids do; breaking legs/ankles or tearing tendons etc. is much worse IMO.

Gary Cahill, as an example, one of the dirtiest players playing. Doesn't carry that "dirty" reputation as widely. Far more dangerous than Suarez ever has been. I'd rather Suarez bite me than Cahill tackle me.

Reactions: All Might

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We have someone defending a player biting another player as not a big deal so I think we've reached peak insanity here.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Gary Cahill, as an example, one of the dirtiest players playing. Doesn't carry that "dirty" reputation as widely. Far more dangerous than Suarez ever has been. I'd rather Suarez bite me than Cahill tackle me.
A bad tackle is at least an attempt to play the game. Biting another human being is something you would expect from a wild animal and is about the most vile thing one can do.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Suarez thing is a special memory for me - he did the same thing during the world cup

46802f1418c0bfa0723adf4a66b53572--football-soccer-football-players.jpg

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A bad tackle is at least an attempt to play the game. Biting another human being is something you would expect from a wild animal and is about the most vile thing one can do.
I'd rather take a bite from Suarez than a Cabill tackle anyways. Look what he did to poor Ryan Mason. Might not even be a functioning member of society now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't know. He almost never shoots.
While that's true I also think it's partially because he's never been someone that's been in a lot of positions to do so. I'm sure Klopp will encourage him to shoot, and with the style of play we have I think he'll have more opportunities than he previously did. Either way I don't expect him to become like a 20 goal scorer or anything, but 5-10 seems to be well within reach.
Is it though? There are many obvious tackles that are not an attempt to play the game and can have long lasting concequences for the person on the receiving end. Biting is just childish, and it's not really a 'wild animal' thing; humans start biting eachother at a very young age. That said I would say using the guise of 'attempting to play the game' to make dangerous tackles to be worse personally, but obviously you shouldn't be biting people any more than you should be punching, elbowing, headbutting or kicking.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I'd rather take a bite from Suarez than a Cabill tackle anyways. Look what he did to poor Ryan Mason. Might not even be a functioning member of society now.

:facepalm: The Ryan Mason thing 1. wasn't a tackle and 2. was completely inadvertent. Pull your head outta your ass.

Biting is just childish, and it's not really a 'wild animal' thing; humans start biting eachother at a very young age. .

Yeah, and humans also stop biting each other at a very young age...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
:facepalm: The Ryan Mason thing 1. wasn't a tackle and 2. was completely inadvertent. Pull your head outta your ass.

Yeah, bad wording on my part. Should've said challenge instead.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If anybody has a chance to score 40 goals at Liverpool it would be Ox. His best game oddly enough was due to his backtracking on defense against Barcelona in the CL. Still think we beat them if he doesn't get stomped on by Alves.

Suarez's biting has always been overblown. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. He could've broken legs, noses, etc, and not gotten as big of a suspension. Biting somebody is a little childish but not that dangerous.
Ox scoring 40 goals is mad Lol. He doesn't have the finisher's touch. He'll be lucky to ever score 10 in a season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They should also stop hitting, or trying to hurt other people in general at a young age, no? This is why I said it was childish, but it's not worse than those other things I mentioned.

Biting is an urge/instinct that most of us can resist but it's still hardwired and the only reason it doesn't happen more is because it's not practical. When people get frustrated biting is not usually the easiest option. If you get in a fight with someone and your arm is in their face you can bet if someone is mad they'll probably bite you.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22246344

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Getting someone to seriously participate in biting debate several years later is the mother of all troll jobs. I'm impressed.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm actually astonished that Curtinho went down this road AGAIN.

Now it's people don't bite because it's not practical? My god man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad