GWT: Premier League 4/15-4/17

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not in order: Suarez, Lewandowski, Auba, Cavani, Higuain, Lukaku, Aguero. So no. Would probably take Grizz over him too.

Can't possibly rate him over any of those players given he went to the Euro, played some weak teams, and didn't score.

Lukaku? You can't be serious?

I also would not take Cavani, Higuain or Aguero over Kane. Higuain is probably a better player, but its just so hard to rank him high when he's performed so poorly in so many big games. He's like soccer's version of Rick Nash.

Definitely Suarez, Lewandowski, Griezmann, probably Auba. But after that, I think he comes in the next group of CF's with Dybala and Zlatan.

Those would be my top 7, so its kind of debatable. I'm not saying he definitely is, but I think Kane is very underrated.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lukaku? You can't be serious?

I also would not take Cavani, Higuain or Aguero over Kane. Higuain is probably a better player, but its just so hard to rank him high when he's performed so poorly in so many big games. He's like soccer's version of Rick Nash.

Definitely Suarez, Lewandowski, Griezmann, probably Auba. But after that, I think he comes in the next group of CF's with Dybala and Zlatan.

Those would be my top 7, so its kind of debatable. I'm not saying he definitely is, but I think Kane is very underrated.

I don't consider Dybala a CF or I would have mentioned him. More of a second striker.

Lukaku leading the golden boot, Lukaku who scored at the Euros, yes. Very serious. I rate him very highly considering his goal total and who he's playing with. There's no Alli or Eriksen there to help him score goals.

For as bad as Higuain plays in some big games, you can look at his international goalscoring record and see some key goals in huge moments. Kane doesn't have that, not even close in fact. He's not underrated. He went to an international tournament and was one of the worst players on the pitch. He's a great player, but to rate him higher he needs to score some goals at one of those or get his team past the CL group stage.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol at Cavani. Best scorer in Europe this season. 42 in 42 :laugh: Kane has 24 in 29.

Cavani has 8 goals in 8 european games too.
OTOH, Kane has a big fat 0 in 5 european games. 2 in 12 european games over the last two seasons (most of them in Europa league in fact).

So maybe Kane has more international goals, right?
Well no, he has 5 career international games. Cavani has 6 in 7 games THIS YEAR.

Same for Aguero, it's beyond ridiculous.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only game England won at the Euro was when Kane was substituted for Vardy and Sturridge. I have never heard of that happening with a "top five striker." Sturridge has more goals for England than Kane since the Euro and he has been injured for probably literally 7 months of that time.

Don't necessarily agree about Aguero being better, the rest are fair.

Did Kane score 8 goals in Europe this year?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The only way Kane factors into a discussion of who you choose compared to how many other players mentioned is that Kane is notably younger. Still for say one season right now he'd be well down the list. Cavani and Aguero easily over Kane all day long. Dare I say even Higuain?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Highly debateable.

Not really. As old as he is, on a **** poor scoring team, getting used to a new team and a new league, Ibra has scored 17 goals in EPL out of his team's 46. 37%.
Kane has 19 of his team's 68. 28%.

EDIT : and that's only talking about goals, Ibra brings much more to his team in terms of technical ability, physical impact, and leadership.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't consider Dybala a CF or I would have mentioned him. More of a second striker.

Lukaku leading the golden boot, Lukaku who scored at the Euros, yes. Very serious. I rate him very highly considering his goal total and who he's playing with. There's no Alli or Eriksen there to help him score goals.

For as bad as Higuain plays in some big games, you can look at his international goalscoring record and see some key goals in huge moments. Kane doesn't have that, not even close in fact. He's not underrated. He went to an international tournament and was one of the worst players on the pitch. He's a great player, but to rate him higher he needs to score some goals at one of those or get his team past the CL group stage.

He's leading it because Kane was injured, and missed 8 games, not because he's a better striker. If Messi got injured and only scored 10 goals in 12 games, would that mean some guy on Granada who scores 15 playing the whole season is better? I know thats not an exact comparison to Lukaku vs. Kane, but per game matters more. Are you really going to tell me that Lukaku scoring at Euros means he's better? He only had two goals in five games, and he played for a better team. At the World Cup, he only had 1 goal in four games. 3 in 9 at those two competitions and 23 in 58 for Belgium, not such great scoring rates.

Kane is underrated because he's one of the few really good English players, and since people want to protect for overrating English players, the few really good ones get underrated.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's leading it because Kane was injured, and missed 8 games, not because he's a better striker. If Messi got injured and only scored 10 goals in 12 games, would that mean some guy on Granada who scores 15 playing the whole season is better? I know thats not an exact comparison to Lukaku vs. Kane, but per game matters more. Are you really going to tell me that Lukaku scoring at Euros means he's better? He only had two goals in five games, and he played for a better team. At the World Cup, he only had 1 goal in four games. 3 in 9 at those two competitions and 23 in 58 for Belgium, not such great scoring rates.

Kane is underrated because he's one of the few really good English players, and since people want to protect for overrating English players, the few really good ones get underrated.

Part of being a top player is not getting hurt. He's not underrated, he's a great player. He just has no track record to show that he's better than that.

At the World Cup, he only had 1 goal in four games. 3 in 9 at those two competitions and 23 in 58 for Belgium, not such great scoring rates.

You should look at the qualification scoring table right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol at Cavani. Best scorer in Europe this season. 42 in 42 :laugh: Kane has 24 in 29.

Cavani has 8 goals in 8 european games too.
OTOH, Kane has a big fat 0 in 5 european games. 2 in 12 european games over the last two seasons (most of them in Europa league in fact).

So maybe Kane has more international goals, right?
Well no, he has 5 career international games. Cavani has 6 in 7 games THIS YEAR.

Same for Aguero, it's beyond ridiculous.

You can't seriously think Ligue One goals are the same as goals in one of the best leagues? And don't give me this Monaco and PSG advanced further than English teams, Cavani faces weaker teams game in, game out than these other strikers. Look how Zlatan's goals were nearly cut in half going from PSG to Man United.

And the international playing field isn't level, so I don't entirely see why that matters. Since when are players mostly judged on international play? International play is usually a footnote for how players are judged.

Aguero and Kane play in the same league. Kane does a better job.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You can't seriously think Ligue One goals are the same as goals in one of the best leagues? And don't give me this Monaco and PSG advanced further than English teams, Cavani faces weaker teams game in, game out than these other strikers. Look how Zlatan's goals were nearly cut in half going from PSG to Man United.

And the international playing field isn't level, so I don't entirely see why that matters. Since when are players mostly judged on international play? International play is usually a footnote for how players are judged.

It's harder to score in L1, so this may not be a road you want to go down.

I have absolutely no idea what you base this on.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Part of being a top player is not getting hurt. He's not underrated, he's a great player. He just has no track record to show that he's better than that.

And that makes Lukaku better? How exactly?

You should look at the qualification scoring table right now.

I don't see how this helps your point that much. Look at the teams those games were against. If anything, it shows Lukaku is bad in big competitions against decent teams, and has scored a few goals against bad teams in qualification.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Zlatans goals didn't go down becuase of it being harder to score, they went down becuase he went to a much worse offensive team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

See LITN.
Ibra's total is cut in half because his team scores much less.

European games don't matter, huh? International games neither right?

I'm sure it's much easier for Cavani and Uruguay to score against Brazil, Chile or Argentina than England against Malta, Lithuania, etc... :laugh:

And how about european games that you didn't even answer to? How about those 0 goal Kane scored this season in Europe? How do you explain that? Cavani scored against Monaco. Kane didn't.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kane brings much more to the game than Ibra does.

Kane is underrated because he's British. He's a fantastic striker.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's harder to score in L1, so this may not be a road you want to go down.

And the KHL is lower scoring than the NHL. What's your point? Ligue One is a worse league than all the big leagues, so a player's stats in Ligue One have to be properly weighted, they can't just be thrown in with the rest.

I have absolutely no idea what you base this on.

Less Premier League goals in more games, the fact that Aguero was benched by his coach for a 19 year old, the fact that Kane plays a more complete game. And if you are to point to Kane playing poorly for England, which in reality all the English players do for England and it doesn't mean they are bad players, Aguero plays very poorly for Argentina.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Zlatans goals didn't go down becuase of it being harder to score, they went down becuase he went to a much worse offensive team.

Well not only. There is no way Zlatan would break the current record in the EPL of 31 goals in a season by scoring 38, no matter what team he's on.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kane brings much more to the game than Ibra does.

OMG, everytime I think you can't post something more ridiculous, you offer a new gift :laugh:
Ibra brings much more because he can go to midfield and control the play when his team needs to, he weighs on a defense because of his physical impact and his technical level allows his team to go up while he keeps the ball and offers a nice pass.

Kane doesn't have a glimpse of Zlatan's technical talent, nor a glimpse of his physical impact.
That's not a knock, almost nobody in the game does.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And the KHL is lower scoring than the NHL. What's your point? Ligue One is a worse league than all the big leagues, so a player's stats in Ligue One have to be properly weighted, they can't just be thrown in with the rest.

Stop your ignorance please :facepalm:

Keep in mind your player of the year last season couldn't cut it in L1.
The one who could win it this year was on a low table team in L1.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
And that makes Lukaku better? How exactly?

I'm not sure if you're joking or not. Regardless of that, what do you think Lukaku would do if he got to play with Dele Alli? Score less?

I don't see how this helps your point that much. Look at the teams those games were against. If anything, it shows Lukaku is bad in big competitions against decent teams, and has scored a few goals against bad teams in qualification.

Scoring is better than not scoring. Greece is an especially difficult team to score against, so you show a lack of knowledge by saying that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Less Premier League goals in more games, the fact that Aguero was benched by his coach for a 19 year old, the fact that Kane plays a more complete game. And if you are to point to Kane playing poorly for England, which in reality all the English players do for England and it doesn't mean they are bad players, Aguero plays very poorly for Argentina.

Lol dude. Are you serious right now? Benching a striker during the overcrowded winter season after they played in and scored a bunch of goals during European games is not remotely a big deal. Regardless, it's one season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
See LITN.
Ibra's total is cut in half because his team scores much less.

European games don't matter, huh? International games neither right?

I'm sure it's much easier for Cavani and Uruguay to score against Brazil, Chile or Argentina than England against Malta, Lithuania, etc... :laugh:

And how about european games that you didn't even answer to? How about those 0 goal Kane scored this season in Europe? How do you explain that? Cavani scored against Monaco. Kane didn't.

And also because he's playing tougher competition. I don't even see how you can argue this. Zlatan faces better teams on a weekly basis than he did in France.

When did I say European games don't matter? They do matter. Since Kane's breakout season, he's scored 11 goals in 21 European matches. I'd consider that pretty good. Maybe not great, and you are right that he was disappointing in Europe along with his whole team this season, but I don't think a sample size of a few games is exactly meaningful. Now I'm supposed to believe Monaco is the holy grail of the sport? Who scores against Monaco is the better player? :laugh: This Monaco success is really going to your head, it'd be terrible if they somehow found a way to go out on Wednesday. :sarcasm:

As I've mentioned already, I find comparing international games to be an unimportant exercise. The playing field is usually not level for most of these players, regardless of who it benefits, and I think most would agree that club football means a lot more than international football towards a player's reputation throughout the world, although in their own country international success might mean more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad