Premier League 2021-2022

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Obviously let the legal situation play out but I don’t think the police are arresting a footballer without pretty solid proof.

Reactions: Jussi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not sure if it'll play a factor, but the age of consent in England is 16, which frankly, is f***ing gross, and that's not even the youngest in Europe.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I also find it pretty silly that they can't release the name, but can report on all the details that make it obvious who it is.

the UK libel laws are pretty wild. Mostly all over Europe.

As an American I’m not used to it. In Ireland they’ll oublish a guys photo and address announcing his arrest to make sure they don’t get the wrong guy

like John Keane, pictured here, 123 Main St, was arrested. Leaving no doubt. Can’t even lie to your friends “oh it’s another John Keane”

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm fine with privacy and not naming them, but if you are allowed to describe that individual to the point that we all know who it is, then it kind of defeats the purpose. And yes, with public figures like this, even if nothing like that was reported, people would've still been able to put the pieces together, just might have taken a little longer.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm fine with privacy and not naming them, but if you are allowed to describe that individual to the point that we all know who it is, then it kind of defeats the purpose. And yes, with public figures like this, even if nothing like that was reported, people would've still been able to put the pieces together, just might have taken a little longer.
Yeah within like 45 minutes of the report coming out the internet had narrowed it down to 2 players. Doesn't make much sense to me.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm fine with privacy and not naming them, but if you are allowed to describe that individual to the point that we all know who it is, then it kind of defeats the purpose.

Well it looks to me like the description of the suspect provided by the authorities in itself was not so specific they would have necessarily been able to identify the person. But what I suspect happened was that once that news broke, reporters started sniffing around Premiership clubs especially in the Northwest. And once that happened, Everton realized that they couldn't really hide the fact they suspended a player during pre-season (as their absence in matches and training would eventually be noted, leading to questions). And obviously the beat reporters would also know who that is as well. So they felt they had to release a statement. It's that statement which really allowed people to put the dots together.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Everton's new stadium apparently had a significant role in Liverpool losing its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Not a good few days for the club PR wise.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
We don't know what he's charged with at this point, so it's wrong to speculate. If convicted, he should spend whatever time he earns in jail.

That said, I'm a bit shocked that more footballers aren't in more trouble with underaged issues with girls. Age of consent varies, but I guess because consent is stupid low in a lot of Europe, maybe that's why it doesn't end up prosecuted as much.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Everton's new stadium in a derelict part of the Liverpool docks highlights how some of these designations are stupid.

98% of Liverpool polled approved of the project so I doubt many are bothered beside UNESCO and Historic England.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think both UNESCO and Liverpool have good reasons to act the way they have. Liverpool could use the commercial investment and their piece of the gentrification pie, and UNESCO is right to strip Liverpool off a status it only got on the back of the legacy of its historical development as an industrial port city. So if Liverpool chooses to remove key historical sites that are symbols of that legacy then it makes total sense to also remove that status.

They stripped the Elbe valley around Dresden off the status some years back because they built a modern bridge to relieve traffic congestion across the river. UNESCO argued that the only reason it was seen as a world heritage site to begin with was the harmonic ensemble of river and natural environment around it, and that a modern bridge destroys that ensemble. That seems like a reasonably fair assessment, and yet Dresden pushed ahead with the bridge accepting the consequences. Turns out that pragmatic city policy goals tend to trump the benefits of a UNESCO world heritage site status.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Why would anyone actually care if Liverpool is a UNESCO Heritage Site or not?
Means literally nothing. No one cares.

If redeveloping this means you lose your status, I think the city of Liverpool will manage:
1304060373.jpg

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Honestly. I don't even know what are Unesco heritage cities...

They are not normally cities. They tend to be specific sites i.e. locations, landmarks etc. deemed to be of great value in terms of world history. In England for instance that's otherwise locations like Westminster Abbey, Canterbury Cathedral or Stonehenge, but also landscapes like the Lake District or the Devon coast. I think honestly Liverpool was kind of a stretch anyway. It seems like by the very nature of the concept the list gets longer and longer all the time even though the list of truly important sites is not growing at the same pace, so it can get pretty random. It probably more than anything comes down to local tourism boards/officials deciding they want to apply for it and then gathering 'evidence' that it's important in some way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad