Premier League 2020-2021 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don’t think anyone can laugh at Moyes anymore. He’s doing a good job.

I think the laughs are more related to his awkward personality.

He has a long record of organising teams like WH well.

I don't see anything special going on at WH.

Berge is the most expensive player SU has ever bought. WH is at a completely different level in terms of resources.

I would agree with good job.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Been some games since the last time I watched Chelsea now. Clearly they got a fantastic squad so if they can gel in some way they could very well win the league. I highly doubt they are capable of getting 90 points, but right now you are winning the league at 81. And obviously Chelsea could get to 81 just based on the individual quality they got.

Sunday should be great. Hopefully no more injuries. Spurs got nothing to lose. They can lose that game and you are still very much in it. If they win one might start to dream - even if I'm pretty certain this season will take many more twist and turns. Liverpool won't be the only team piling up injuries at one point or another. Leicester have also been there - more will come.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not gonna bother with the "all things considered" or "For all the talk of" angles with united because it's become too common for me.

My takeaway this season is they're awful to watch. Predictable. Boring. These games are terrible.

It's going to continue in this cycle until they get a top manager.

Reactions: Gecklund

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
More is wrong at that club than the manager. I have seen Spurs play very exciting football under managers like Jol and Redknapp. And I have seen Utd basically fail with any kind of manager - young, old, experienced, big name, small name etc.

Not that I think OGS is brilliant, but compare how Mourinho is now compared to how he was at Utd. Obviously Mourinho will get fired in London as well at some point, but night and day in terms of body language etc. If van Gaal and Mourinho are not strong enough to change things properly who would be?

I don't know what it is, but something is rotten - and that is a much bigger issue than OGS (is my guess - time will show - because I don't see OGS lasting long term).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
More is wrong at that club than the manager. I have seen Spurs play very exciting football under managers like Jol and Redknapp. And I have seen Utd basically fail with any kind of manager - young, old, experienced, big name, small name etc.

Not that I think OGS is brilliant, but compare how Mourinho is now compared to how he was at Utd. Obviously Mourinho will get fired in London as well at some point, but night and day in terms of body language etc. If van Gaal and Mourinho are not strong enough to change things properly who would be?

I don't know what it is, but something is rotten - and that is a much bigger issue than OGS (is my guess - time will show - because I don't see OGS lasting long term).

thats Jose’s thing though. I don’t take anything from how Spurs look now in regards to United. He had his “great” season at United when they finished 2nd and won the Europa. Then he burns it to the ground. Which he will do at Spurs. Because he won’t get everything he wants.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
thats Jose’s thing though. I don’t take anything from how Spurs look now in regards to United. He had his “great” season at United when they finished 2nd and won the Europa. Then he burns it to the ground. Which he will do at Spurs. Because he won’t get everything he wants.

ManU burned ManU to the ground.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yup. As long as Woodward is overseeing the football side of things it won’t matter who’s in charge. There’s too much toxicity and dysfunction up top for this club to be successful.

Reactions: Havre

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I think he'll be much happier with Spurs front office. Daniel Levy absolutely adores Mourinho. He's always wanted to have him as a manager. And he put his money where his mouth is this summer with all the signings he made.

Then there's the fact that he can actually be with his family now.

I agree with the others, Woodward and the Glazers are United's issue.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mourinho spent 325m net in a little over 2 seasons at United.

I'm not even going to entertain an argument based on him about United. It's silly.
The problem I think is that the argument is he didn't get his top targets and maybe he didn't even choose necessarily who was bought. This is a theme throughout most top clubs where some people will give managers a pass because of buys that maybe they're not 100% involved in. Buying leftover targets for a lot of money usually doesn't work out, and like I said at the time...Mourinho did very well at United with what he had.

Reactions: koyvoo

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

I think it is more than that. One thing are the results, but even when you lose points like Spurs did against West Ham in a rather strange/silly way he is constructive about things - just get on with it.

Obviously I saw how Pochettino changed, so I'm not suggesting Spurs is the perfect club, but Mourinho was hardly the first manager that went sour at United.

Not to mention that if they keep on sacking managers they won't be able to attract the biggest names any longer. Why would an up and coming manager take the United job if he can get something else? In most cases if United want you you got other big clubs to choose from as well.

That said - I would have gone all in on Hasenhüttl. I think he might be crazy and single-minded enough to shake things up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
United's spending under Mourinho clearly wasn't very good. How much of that was down to Mourinho I don't know. Matic I guess was heavily influenced by Mourinho. At Spurs I can't say anything else than the transfer policy seems to be very reasonable under Mourinho.

Gedson seems a bit pointless now, but as a loan it made sense. And he is not a bad player so I can definitely see why Spurs took a stab at him. Bergwijn, Reguilon and Højbjerg are all fantastic value as far as I can see. And not one single player bought I would consider a flop so far.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The problem I think is that the argument is he didn't get his top targets and maybe he didn't even choose necessarily who was bought. This is a theme throughout most top clubs where some people will give managers a pass because of buys that maybe they're not 100% involved in. Buying leftover targets for a lot of money usually doesn't work out, and like I said at the time...Mourinho did very well at United with what he had.

Talking about him is so tiring because it's just the same shit over and over. There's no one in modern sports who gets more excuses made for them than Jose Mourinho. He spent tons of his guys. He wanted Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Bailly and Lindelof were his chosen CB pairing. He spent what 80m on Lukaku, had a falling out with him and wanted to sell him and buy a new striker. He tried to swap Martial for Perisic. The one season they were good he had Zlatan score 30 goals who got injured and then they fell apart. Rashford and Martial regressed under Mourinho and no other young player developed

United have issues but he has zero excuse to hide behind them. Its annoying because this shit keeps getting rewritten by United fans as time passes. As soon as things didnt go his way, he burned it all down. and he will do the same at Spurs. They'll be the mickey mouse club of London and he will be claiming they're run more like QPR than Chelsea. I get that Spurs fans dont wanna hear it and shit, maybe you'll get a title out of it in this weird season. But I'm not up for another "THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT" debate

Reactions: cgf

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Fans set to be allowed at outdoor sports

A maximum of 4,000 fans are set to be allowed at outdoor events in the lowest-risk areas when the national lockdown in England ends on 2 December, BBC Sport understands.

Not much, but a small step in the right direction at least.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Talking about him is so tiring because it's just the same shit over and over. There's no one in modern sports who gets more excuses made for them than Jose Mourinho. He spent tons of his guys. He wanted Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Bailly and Lindelof were his chosen CB pairing. He spent what 80m on Lukaku, had a falling out with him and wanted to sell him and buy a new striker. He tried to swap Martial for Perisic. The one season they were good he had Zlatan score 30 goals who got injured and then they fell apart. Rashford and Martial regressed under Mourinho and no other young player developed

United have issues but he has zero excuse to hide behind them. Its annoying because this shit keeps getting rewritten by United fans as time passes. As soon as things didnt go his way, he burned it all down. and he will do the same at Spurs. They'll be the mickey mouse club of London and he will be claiming they're run more like QPR than Chelsea. I get that Spurs fans dont wanna hear it and shit, maybe you'll get a title out of it in this weird season. But I'm not up for another "THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT" debate

How is this any different for how it has been for every Utd manager after Ferguson?

Forget Mourinho. How about the others? All sunny?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
How is this any different for how it has been for every Utd manager after Ferguson?

Forget Mourinho. How about the others? All sunny?

I literally dont care about Jose Mourinho. Spurs fans should enjoy your season and team, they're playing great.

He is completely, totally irrelevant to any discussion on United's issues. He just is. I have zero interest in discussing the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad