Premier League 2020-2021 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Rooney also loved cigarettes, booze and hookers which is why he fell off a cliff before 30.
Athletes can also battle through a lot of the poor life style choices. Vardy is a prime example of that, he had terrible habits with alcohol and dieting and he kept those habits even into the start of his Leicester career.

To me the wear and tear is the bigger issue.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Auba will eventually decline, nobody is arguing that. However, thinking he fell off a cliff from two previous seasons to this campaign just because of age is a truly awful argument...especially when you see the eye test and everyone has looked bad except Gabriel and Saka.

Reactions: Rob

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Auba will eventually decline, nobody is arguing that. However, thinking he fell off a cliff from two previous seasons to this campaign just because of age is a truly awful argument...especially when you see the eye test and everyone has looked bad except Gabriel and Saka.
So according to you he has sucked? Which fits the narrative of said tweet :sarcasm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So according to you he has sucked? Which fits the narrative of said tweet :sarcasm:
He has looked as invisible as possible so he deserves some of the blame, but some of the games he's on a complete island and would've capitalised on some of the brutal misses that Lacazette did if he was central. However, AB13 has a point that Auba and Lacazette haven't ever looked this bad and a big reason why has been those rigid tactics when Auba needs speed to be effective. I mentioned only the two players looking good showcasing how average everyone else has been. Tierney is another player who looked unbelievable last season to regress to his current form now as well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He has looked as invisible as possible so he deserves some of the blame, but some of the games he's on a complete island and would've capitalised on some of the brutal misses that Lacazette did if he was central. However, AB13 has a point that Auba and Lacazette haven't ever looked this bad and a big reason why has been those rigid tactics when Auba needs speed to be effective. I mentioned only the two players looking good showcasing how average everyone else has been. Tierney is another player who looked unbelievable last season to regress to his current form now as well.
I’m only being facetious. I don’t think he’s completely fallen off a cliff yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some decline in his play. I mean he was always going to be a player that once he declined it would be pretty brutal since he relies so much on his speed to be effective.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’m only being facetious. I don’t think he’s completely fallen off a cliff yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some decline in his play. I mean he was always going to be a player that once he declined it would be pretty brutal since he relies so much on his speed to be effective.
Everyone ages' differently since there are different genetics and lifestyles coming into factor here, but I am going to bring up Vardy again as he's 33 and heavily (and I mean heavily) relies on his speed to be effective. Auba might age fast no doubt, but I want to see a bit more pace in our overall structure before I jump on conclusions like Aubameyang is declining personally.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Will be interesting how a guy like Rashford holds up to the strain. He just turned 23 and he’s already at something like 260 games for club and country.
Yup. He’s definitely someone who cold decline pretty early due to 1) pure workload and 2) he’s also someone who relies a lot on his physical gifts. I mean I’ve been pretty vocal here about how I think DDG will have a pretty rough decline due to his reliance on his play style.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Signing a guy whose been probably the best new defender in the league also helps a lot. Their FBs took a dramatic step forward as well.

Having a keeper who isn’t an absolute tire fire definitely helps, but the change has been a lot more than confidence, him handling crosses better, and actually knowing how to make a save.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, I did and was saying that all of last year. Their underlying defensive stats weren't that bad, while Kepa's stats were atrocious.
Yup. Obviously Silva helps, but having a goalie that can at least be average was always going to improve the defense.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Couldn't agree more. Playing him out of position is obviously not working. His ability hasn't regressed that much since the Summer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not saying a goalkeeper doesn't help, but Chelsea were always likely to improve this year defensively - even with the same defenders and goalkeeper as last season they would have improved just because the team is better.

Not exactly attacking power houses Chelsea have played lately either.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Alderweireld might be out for a while with a muscular injury. Not surprised considering the performance he put in.

Hojbjerg leads the league in passes, touches, and is third in tackles.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Alderweireld might be out for a while with a muscular injury. Not surprised considering the performance he put in.

Hojbjerg leads the league in passes, touches, and is third in tackles.
Mou has really gotten the best out of Pierre.

He has shown himself to be a real Mourinho player, and has imo excelled as a player in Tottenham.

dcx-81010720-20201121211721

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I was positive to buying Højbjerg as I thought he would provide us with some steel in the middle of the park. A bit like Dier used to. But I also expected him to be limited like Dier in other aspects. So far I have been right in the first part, but boy has he been a lot more useful at doing more than just providing steel.

I absolutely love Sissoko for how he bounced back at Spurs and his fitness and effort level is truly second to none. Just astonishing. But he is still a very limited player. If Spurs had 2 x Højbjerg in the middle of the park I would have considered the team as favourites to win the league. If Højbjerg gets injured Spurs are more likely to end up 6-7th than to be close to 1st. Partly because he has been that good, but also because Winks has been disappointing.

Really hope we get to see Lo Celso - Højbjerg with Ndombele as a kind of no. 10 soon. Against weaker teams than City that could be a fantastic midfield. Easy to forget how good Lo Celso is when he is match fit.

Reactions: QuietContrarian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad