Premier League 2019-20 Part III

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My body is ready.

PSG crowned L1 champs with “only” an 12 point lead.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I know nobody really care but this but if the English FA does decide to void the EPL and don't award a Champion even though they played 29 games then I might as well just completely stop watching English football altogether. I just could not believe anything more than football is not about rewarding the most deserving team but very politically driven and out of sync with reality.

I mean, we are talking about the team aiming at the most point in EPL history getting denied a clear title based on a very unfortunate global pandemic. I know rivals fans would have a field day with this but that is just wrong. And yes I would even say that if Everton or Manchester United were in a similar situation.

Why should I invest more money and time on a product that is not fair and so random?

Even if we did get the win (LFC) there would still be a sour taste of not being able to complete the league and set new records which is very unfortunate.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Whats the alternative put hundreds of people at risk so you can feel fulfilled about a trophy that you had no part in winning.
Lfc deserve to be champions if they dont play and get crowned champion no one should feel hard done. I mean its not ideal but liverpool won thats it

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Whats the alternative put hundreds of people at risk so you can feel fulfilled about a trophy that you had no part in winning.
Lfc deserve to be champions if they dont play and get crowned champion no one should feel hard done. I mean its not ideal but liverpool won thats it

Yeah, I don't think the problem would be deciding who won the league. Champions League spots and relegation/promotion is a tough one though. If teams end up getting relegated they will feel hard done, if teams don't get promoted they will feel hard done, just like missing out on Champions League.

But to me it's not that difficult, we should play about everything. Either we'll get back going soon otherwise we can just skip next season and finish this season next spring. Corona gonna be around and we won't have a vaccine in time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think anyone has a problem with not playing more games.

Liverpool just need to get the title that they deserve. By every metric it’s them. If the powers that be want to put an asterisk next to it, let them. Would need a pretty big plaque to list all the reasons why.

The void talk is troll banter. L1 has done the right thing. Hopefully the other leagues follow. The ‘controversy’ is not at the top of the table.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Liverpool just need to get the title that they deserve. By every metric it’s them. If the powers that be want to put an asterisk next to it, let them. Would need a pretty big plaque to list all the reasons why.

The void talk is troll banter. L1 has done the right thing. Hopefully the other leagues follow. The ‘controversy’ is not at the top of the table.

with la liga though i could see them nulling the league. I wouldnt mind tbh but if they announce barca the winners even better.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I'm fine with that as long as City is knocked out of the CL next season for sure. Then United get CL again. If City is still in the CL then hell no. More games need to be played or one of City, Chelsea, or Leicester get a 15-20 point reduction for being above United in the standings.

Reactions: Aladyyn

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've said this since the beginning when people started trolling about the Liverpool thing. Regardless of how they conclude this season it doesn't change what happened and everyone knows that Liverpool won, would have won, and were the best team in England. At the end of the day that stuff doesn't really matter a whole lot.

Even the talk about it being 'not fair' to relegate teams based on most of the season played...I mean, this situation isn't really 'fair' to anyone. If the virus is the most important thing, and it's big enough to stop the season from being played out, well that's just the way it is. The schedule might not have been equal but it is what it is.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yeah the last thing I want to see is Liverpool win a title - but I'm not going to be the slightest bit upset if they're awarded champions.

The top 4 is more frustrating b/c it was completely wide open, and really entertaining.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Even the talk about it being 'not fair' to relegate teams based on most of the season played...I mean, this situation isn't really 'fair' to anyone. If the virus is the most important thing, and it's big enough to stop the season from being played out, well that's just the way it is. The schedule might not have been equal but it is what it is.

I would agree the relegation sentiment if Villa wasn't at one less game then everyone else in the relegatoin battle. Would be unfair to send them packing when jumps them two teams.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would agree the relegation sentiment if Villa wasn't at one less game then everyone else in the relegatoin battle. Would be unfair to send them packing when jumps them two teams.
None of this is really fair to anyone. The best way to protect yourself from relegation is to just not be in that position in the first place. Could they have won? Maybe, but the may also have lost. They can only work with what has actually happened (though maybe a point per game metric might be better). This whole thing hasn't really been fair to anyone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t disagree but I believe they are still at the bottom with PPG. I don’t think there is a metric that takes them out. Interestingly, If Leicester knocked them out of Carabao Cup then AV would have played that game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Communiqué

Lyon confirm in statement that they are considering taking legal action against the league governing body, the LFP, including but not limited to suing for damages, after the decision to end the 2019/20 season on current placement led to OL not qualifying for Europe.

And it begins.

This whole thing is going to be a massive shitshow in every league.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It’s inevitable. Someone was going to do it.

what’s worse a few teams suing or every team in the league suing
Lyon has everything to lose. This is all on Aulas ego.
1- it will cost them a bunch load of money in legal fees,
2- They are more likely to lose based on the fact that the league serve as a neutral authority and have no capital gains unlike clubs,
3- it could drag down to next season as the conlusion of this trial could take months.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
None of this is really fair to anyone. The best way to protect yourself from relegation is to just not be in that position in the first place. Could they have won? Maybe, but the may also have lost. They can only work with what has actually happened (though maybe a point per game metric might be better). This whole thing hasn't really been fair to anyone.

True it is not fair to anyone, and a lot of clubs are going to feel the effects. I will say as someone who supports a team that has seen relegation in my life time and is by no means a main stay in the top tier; missing out on being in the Prem and having to take the financial burden of relegation on would be beyond frustrating. If they are goign to relegate teams from the Prem I think they either need to go off point percentage or go with the standings from the mid-point in the season, making things as balanced as possible.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sounds like over the weekend the EPL had an informal conference call to weigh options and it sounds like a few a teams called their lawyers right afterwards
Not shocking. It’s going to be impossible to make everyone happy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not shocking. It’s going to be impossible to make everyone happy.

Lots of speculation but one is to cancel the season with no relagation or promotion

also, on the radio it was suggested that they would freeze the standings on pts meaning Man U would qualify for the championship league, problem is that Sheffilied United who site at 7 has played one lest game--Man U has 45 pts and Shef 43. Shef is making a case to deduct the last game Man u Played (a win) and then set the pts-that would put Shefield U into the Champions League and not Man U and that is a lot of money

and then you have Leeds who have invested heavily into get back into the prem and they have a problem because Norwich has given up the ghost of staying up and will just bank the money they would get from staying up

it will get ugly I think

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
also, on the radio it was suggested that they would freeze the standings on pts meaning Man U would qualify for the championship league, problem is that Sheffilied United who site at 7 has played one lest game--Man U has 45 pts and Shef 43. Shef is making a case to deduct the last game Man u Played (a win) and then set the pts-that would put Shefield U into the Champions League and not Man U and that is a lot of money

I understand that argument of uneven played games but that suggested solution is dumb.

You can't just drop the last game arbitrarily. Had they lost the last game, Sheffield fans wouldn't be suggesting that.

I guess you'd go to PPG. Which still puts Sheffield on the outside.

Ironically enough, United v Sheffield was scheduled for the weekend after things shut down.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea you either have to just take the standings as is, regardless of extra games, or you have to do PPG.

You can’t just arbitrarily knock of United’s last game, especially since the game Sheffield “missed” (villa, who was in the cup finals) was during a week that United had a draw. If anything would be dropped, it’d be that game.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad