Premier League 2019-20 Part III

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Brighton weighs in on the current situation. I think you don't relegate anyone, but you bring Leeds and WBA up to make 22 teams like the old First Division/early Prem days. You can always go back to 20 next season.

Premier League clubs shouldn't be relegated if season isn't completed - Brighton owner

If the season isn’t competed I think it makes sense to promote 2 clubs and relegate none.

Then next year you relegate 4 and only promote 2 (either 2 automatic or 1 auto and 1 playoff).

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Hope it goes to 17.

I hope it goes down to 0.

Watching the 1980s happen once in English football was bad enough. I'm not keen on viewing a sequel.

I want to see players from the United Kingdom doing well, but I want them to earn their playing time, not be handed it on a plate. It's been far too easy for English players especially to make big money while falling short of the highest standards already.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Watching the 1980s happen once in English football was bad enough. I'm not keen on viewing a sequel.

I want to see players from the United Kingdom doing well, but I want them to earn their playing time, not be handed it on a plate. It's been far too easy for English players especially to make big money while falling short of the highest standards already.
Didn't the 80s boast some of the best English teams? They didn't get success in the latter part of the decade because of Heysel.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Theoretically it forces teams to invest in their academy more so they can meet the quota, which helps the English game. However, I think that the simple cost of transfers is already pushing teams to that anyway.

The top tier teams wouldn’t suddenly stop investing in their academies if the limit went way down. Lower league teams rarely look to foreign players anyway, regardless of limits, so you’re pretty much talking about the tweener promotion/relegation teams, but given that an academy takes long term investment it’s tough for some of those teams to invest heavily in it knowing they might get relegated and suddenly be without income and not have many valuable assets. They’re more likely to just buy mediocre English players than invest more in their academy since at least they have a real asset they can sell later.

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think a return to 80s quality of play wouldnt happen either way. Its not like modern football had bypassed the English club academies completely or theres something in the genetic code of Brits that says they cant play technical football. I feel like the 80s was a time when globally skill development lagged behind the increasing intensity and speed of the game, so it wasnt just an English issue.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Didn't the 80s boast some of the best English teams? They didn't get success in the latter part of the decade because of Heysel.

During the first half of the 80s English clubs enjoyed a lot of success in Europe - which, cynic that I am, I maintain is one of the reasons their ban after Heysel was so long and comprehensive, despite the good behaviour of Everton fans at the 85 Cup Winners Cup final.

However, English clubs held a signal advantage over their rivals. Serie A allowed its clubs only two imports up until as late as 1988, if memory serves. Liga clubs I believe had three foreign players for most of the decade. I'm unsure what the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 regulations were, but I think they were roughly the same.

English clubs, meanwhile, were able to draw upon the talent pool from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, none of whom were classed as 'foreigners' for footballing purposes. Scottish football in particular was still very strong at the time. In addition were one or two players that the English magnanimously agreed were foreign.

As TMYK points out, it helped that overall the early 80s wasn't a distinguished era in European club football generally, so amid lower general standards the English teams, often half-full of non-English players, often prevailed. As for the standard of the old Division One, it was mundane - that there were 22 teams didn't help, but the biggest problem was the amount of long ball football. Isolation from the good habits encouraged by playing in Europe post-Heysel only exacerbated matters.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I think a return to 80s quality of play wouldnt happen either way. Its not like modern football had bypassed the English club academies completely or theres something in the genetic code of Brits that says they cant play technical football. I feel like the 80s was a time when globally skill development lagged behind the increasing intensity and speed of the game, so it wasnt just an English issue.

I think the genetic code of the English tends towards a fondness for athleticism over skill and, above all, thought. That's been a recurring failure since about 1872.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think the genetic code of the English tends towards a fondness for athleticism over skill and, above all, thought. That's been a recurring failure since about 1872.
I think you're seeing a change in that at the youth level already though. Most of the recent u20 players to break out that are English are all skill before athleticism, though athletic as they are. With the advances in nutrition, training and so on I think it's been easier to identify talent and bring them up to the physical level they need to be at. Sancho, Trent, Hudson-Odoi, Foden, Greenwood, Saka and soon Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott, etc. I doubt that goes backwards now.

I think that every national league should have a domestic requirement as I also think it'll improve the level of National Team football.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Return to matches like this in a decade or two:

"Football was a very different game half a century ago, when much greater leniency was shown to crunching, full-bloodied tackles. It has been re-refereed twice since by leading officials according to modern interpretations of the rules. In 1997, David Elleray concluded he would have shown six red cards, while this year Michael Oliver opted for 11.
On the night, referee Eric Jennings brandished just one yellow card."

1970 FA Cup final: The most brutal game in English football history

Good old English men's game.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
During the first half of the 80s English clubs enjoyed a lot of success in Europe - which, cynic that I am, I maintain is one of the reasons their ban after Heysel was so long and comprehensive, despite the good behaviour of Everton fans at the 85 Cup Winners Cup final.

However, English clubs held a signal advantage over their rivals. Serie A allowed its clubs only two imports up until as late as 1988, if memory serves. Liga clubs I believe had three foreign players for most of the decade. I'm unsure what the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 regulations were, but I think they were roughly the same.

English clubs, meanwhile, were able to draw upon the talent pool from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, none of whom were classed as 'foreigners' for footballing purposes. Scottish football in particular was still very strong at the time. In addition were one or two players that the English magnanimously agreed were foreign.

As TMYK points out, it helped that overall the early 80s wasn't a distinguished era in European club football generally, so amid lower general standards the English teams, often half-full of non-English players, often prevailed. As for the standard of the old Division One, it was mundane - that there were 22 teams didn't help, but the biggest problem was the amount of long ball football. Isolation from the good habits encouraged by playing in Europe post-Heysel only exacerbated matters.

After Heysel, Rangers (especially after Souness' arrival) really should have done better in Europe before Milan emerged, they had quite a collection of home nations' international players. The teams that won in Europe (Steaua, Porto, PSV) weren't anything special and the Italian, Spanish and German champions all took turns to fail in those years.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
After Heysel, Rangers (especially after Souness' arrival) really should have done better in Europe before Milan emerged, they had quite a collection of home nations' international players. The teams that won in Europe (Steaua, Porto, PSV) weren't anything special and the Italian, Spanish and German champions all took turns to fail in those years.

Indeed.

Although I'd maintain a factor in Rangers' underachievement was that Graeme Souness is a witless troglodyte of a football manager.

Reactions: gary69

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I think you're seeing a change in that at the youth level already though. Most of the recent u20 players to break out that are English are all skill before athleticism, though athletic as they are. With the advances in nutrition, training and so on I think it's been easier to identify talent and bring them up to the physical level they need to be at. Sancho, Trent, Hudson-Odoi, Foden, Greenwood, Saka and soon Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott, etc. I doubt that goes backwards now.

I think that every national league should have a domestic requirement as I also think it'll improve the level of National Team football.

It would be nice to think so, but as a rule the more Englishmen you surround an Englishman with, the lower his footballing IQ tends to drop.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The reason I'm not quite sure I buy the "that's just how the English are wired" point is that this was once widely said about Germany as well. Of course, the old German style wasn't quite the same as the famous English 'hoof it' style, but there were also many who denied a German team could ever win playing skillful, attacking football.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The reason I'm not quite sure I buy the "that's just how the English are wired" point is that this was once widely said about Germany as well. Of course, the old German style wasn't quite the same as the famous English 'hoof it' style, but there were also many who denied a German team could ever win playing skilful, attacking football.

From the outside looking in, German football seems historically more adaptable than the English game. If Tor! is anything to go by, between the two World Wars there was a school that played a style of football that was more 'Scottish' than 'English', and then in the time of Beckenbauer and Netzer you had a reinvention to play more progressively, at length followed by the post-Euro 2000 reinvigoration.

With England, however, the apparent suspicion of a style that isn't up and down (in deference to this being a hockey forum, perhaps I should say, 'north-south') seems always to bubble to the surface. That's why in France four men in midfield could be a carre magique, but 4-4-2 became such a straitjacket to a lot of English coaches and players.

A semi-digression: the 1990 World Cup semi-final between England and West Germany was broadcast recently on the BBC. Reviewing the game 30 years later, England believed in their ability to play sophisticated football for 45 minutes, but after half-time the conviction was gone even before Brehme scored. Significantly, once they were trailing it was Trevor Steven substituted in, to play left wing with the apparent instruction of giving Stuart Pearce more scope to push upfield and put in crosses. England only truly improved in extra time, and then because two weary teams were leaving swathes of space in which to play - at that point it was more like an FA Cup tie than an international game. (True, West Germany weren't much better, though I'll confess it surprised me to see how impressive Thomas Haessler was).

Nothing has really changed since. In the book Why England Lose England's habitual trouble scoring goals in the second half of knockout ties was highlighted. The pattern remains for the most part - especially against better opponents. Under duress, it's always back to strength and speed and crosses, not wit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad