Premier League 2019-20 Part III

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, players either run out of gas or hit a dip in form and you need quality rotation at all positions. Even someone that is just competent enough to keep play going like a Giroud.
Harvey Barnes is also the only winger that has had a good season for them, they've been forced to play players out of position on the wing like Maddison and Perez at times to make up for that, but it doesn't give them enough width. Chilwell and Pereira usually provide that width for them, but how many games a year can you expect the same two full-backs to run up and down the entire length of the field?

Plus their style of play relies heavily on pressing, and Vardy is amazing at it with no one else able to fill that role as a forward. So when Vardy is on the bench their quick counter attacking that they often thrive on is hampered significantly because the pressing isn't there to create turnovers.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kovacic has been alright this year...

XBAEjDW.png

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

“Liverpool’s detractors have been quick to point out the times when Klopp’s side have benefited from VAR calls in their march to a first title in 30 years.

However, the numbers do not back that up, with the Reds sitting seventh in the VAR table, with seven goals overturned following video decisions in their games to date.

In comparison, VAR table-toppers Manchester United have seen 12 VAR decisions in their 29 Premier League games, with six of the goals they would have conceded ruled out by the technology.”

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Interesting thread and article looking at how liverpool have changed under Klopp from a statistical standpoint:

The twitter thread has a couple more interesting charts than the article.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Harvey Barnes is also the only winger that has had a good season for them, they've been forced to play players out of position on the wing like Maddison and Perez at times to make up for that, but it doesn't give them enough width. Chilwell and Pereira usually provide that width for them, but how many games a year can you expect the same two full-backs to run up and down the entire length of the field?

Plus their style of play relies heavily on pressing, and Vardy is amazing at it with no one else able to fill that role as a forward. So when Vardy is on the bench their quick counter attacking that they often thrive on is hampered significantly because the pressing isn't there to create turnovers.
Hot take but I think Barnes is better than Maddison.

also when Liverpool signed Harvey Elliot last summer, I thought it was Harvey Barnes.

let’s corner the market on all the Harvey’s.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hot take but I think Barnes is better than Maddison.

also when Liverpool signed Harvey Elliot last summer, I thought it was Harvey Barnes.

let’s corner the market on all the Harvey’s.
I'm going to disagree on that one, but say that Ndidi is better than both.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sure but not sure it’s fair to compare a DM to attacking players either.
Perhaps not, but Nididi's passing stats are comparable to Maddison's while being incredible at defending as well. Ndidi is similar to Kante where he doesn't play a static holding role, he covers a ton of ground and defends very aggressively while being expected to play as their midfield pivot.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Perhaps not, but Nididi's passing stats are comparable to Maddison's while being incredible at defending as well. Ndidi is similar to Kante where he doesn't play a static holding role, he covers a ton of ground and defends very aggressively while being expected to play as their midfield pivot.
That’s fair. But also it’s not how I Like to compare players. Which is fine. I’d rather have Ndidi than Maddison too though for the record

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad