Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, that team had no business winning. The semi-finals were incredible too with that Ramires chip and Torres putting the final nail in the coffin. Still watch those highlights with Gary Neville going crazy.

Drogba's header in the Final is still one of the best header's that I've ever seen. Perfect power and placement.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I will say the 2012 team winning is karma for that 08/09 club being screwed. The fact that beating Barca in the semis made it even sweeter.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Saw this somewhere:

Since 2018 (I think)

Liverpool with Jordan Henderson:
Games: 34
Wins: 28
Losses: 2
AGF: 2.1
AGA: 0.7
Win %: 82.4

Liverpool without Jordan Henderson
Games: 12
Wins: 7
Losses: 3
AGF: 1.9
AGA: 1.8
Win %: 58.3

Heartbeat.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

About time. #$%%"%# embarrassing watching him. And I wonder what his teammates are thinking. This wasn´t even his worst 45 mins.

Generally speaking I don´t think these kind of things should be said in public, but there is a limit to how a player can act.

I will "happily" admit I was wrong about N´Dombele. I watched him playing high profile games in the CL and he looked great, but quite clear from reports coming out of France that he has struggled with his attitude for a long long time.

I guess there is a small chance that he will pick himself up and actually put in some work for next season (which Mourinho also says), but I don´t believe it. Very rare to see players change their "personality" like that. I was tricked, but the Spurs scouts really should have picked up on this before making N´Dombele our most expensive signing ever.

If N´Dombele had been 50% of Lo Celso Spurs would have been top 4 by now. Pochettino might even still have had a job.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For those wanting to replace Ole:

Carlo Ancelotti:
It is a team that has an idea and that is a manager’s job. I think he is doing really well for what I see today and the fact we competed with them is important for us. It gives us more confidence for the next game.

Pep Guardiola:
Always I believe that the managers and the clubs need time to implant, to build something the manager and the club believe. Unfortunately the results sometimes (lead to) the decision to break that process but what I feel is that people believe in Ole and I think he is doing a really good job. He arrived with an incredible impact in terms of results. After (came a) drop a little bit but they were stable. Now the results are getting back, they are scoring a lot of goals.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He botched the match for both sides not to mention the first leg. Chelsea were only done by themselves not being better. Whatever gets you through the night though.
Ovrebo: My errors cost Chelsea in 2009 semi

Whatever helps you sleep through the night. Anything that includes Barca, you must defend to the end. The ref had a bad game and that happens, he even admitted it was a bad game by him, so I don't see the point in acting like it wasn't.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And yet he said his performance cost Chelsea, not that his performance was equally bad for both sides.

I don't care what he said. I'm not basing anything on what he said but rather what I saw in multiple viewings of the match and the tie as a whole. Again, Chelsea weren't hard done by, but whatever helps your reconcile the tie.

Reactions: Cassano

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It doesn't, I just find the replies amusing.
Also wanted to point out too I wasn’t only calling you out, just didn’t want to multi-quote and yours was the latest when I started typing. It was 10 years ago though and if a ref couldn’t call the game right the first time, who knows if he’s going to be able to see his mistakes the second time?

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ovrebo: My errors cost Chelsea in 2009 semi

Whatever helps you sleep through the night. Anything that includes Barca, you must defend to the end. The ref had a bad game and that happens, he even admitted it was a bad game by him, so I don't see the point in acting like it wasn't.

Where does he admit to anything? I haven't seen every interview he has given since of course, but I have yet to see him admitting to make a mistake. He once said in Norwegian that his decisions might have cost Chelsea the tie, but he just as well could have said the opposite if he had given one of those and Barcelona had gone out due to that decision. Even if he is an arrogant "%%"% he is also quite clever so a good way of making Chelseafans believe he takes responsibility without actually doing it.

I passionately hate Øvrebø (within the context of football). He is funnily enough trained as a psychologist, but rarely have I ever seen a ref with so little understanding of human behaviour).

I have discussed that game with many Chelseafans in real life and what I find interesting is how everyone agree on Øvrebø "cheating" them, but none of them can agree on which situations where poorly handled - just the accumulated effect. A ref cannot ref a game based on accumulated effects.

1. Malouda: Could have been a penalty, but obviously not a stonewall one. Personally I think Malouda is looking for it and even if it is borderline I wouldn't have given it myself.
2. Drogba: Should have been a penalty, but I remember seeing it live thinking Drogba stumbles.
3. Pique: Would have been a handball today, but not a given in 2009. Personally no handball for me.
4. Second handball: How can the ref in real time see if that hits his side or his arm? With VAR it is a penalty, but again those were not as easily given in 2009 as in 2020.

I can perfectly well see why some might disagree with that assessment, but I have yet to meet a Chelseafan in real life that after calming down can't see that a) no penalty was obvious in real time b) the accumulated effect makes it difficult for a fan emotionally, but a ref cannot ref a game based on that. Øvrebø was damned either way in that game. Probably karma.

Chelsea were unlucky not to get any of those decisions, but completely overblown how poorly the ref did. Even with VAR decisions are gotten wrong that are much worse than any of those 4.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, I'm also not sure those statements really mean much.

Neither of those guys are going to come out and say Ole is awful, he has no plot and he should be whacked tomorrow.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I'm also not sure those statements really mean much.

Neither of those guys are going to come out and say Ole is awful, he has no plot and he should be whacked tomorrow.
Tactically he’s pretty useless outside of countering good teams, but I do think he has been really good for off the pitch reasons. He’s brought in a good transfer policy and is very good at managing our academy players and how much they should be playing. I don’t think he’s a great manager or will be the guy to take us to the top, but I do think he’s a good guy to have here short term and build the foundation for the next manager.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't care what he said. I'm not basing anything on what he said but rather what I saw in multiple viewings of the match and the tie as a whole. Again, Chelsea weren't hard done by, but whatever helps your reconcile the tie.

Chelsea got away with plenty of shit in that match. They also acted like clowns, which is what everyone remembers...

Look at that red card call on Abidal, the missed pen on Henry, missed offside on Eto'o, missed 2nd yellow on Ballack, handball in the box by Ballack, Drogba kick to Pique's nuts, etc.

In conclusion, the referee was bad for both teams.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Chelsea got away with plenty of shit in that match. They also acted like clowns, which is what everyone remembers...

Look at that red card call on Abidal, the missed pen on Henry, missed offside on Eto'o, missed 2nd yellow on Ballack, handball in the box by Ballack, Drogba kick to Pique's nuts, etc.

In conclusion, the referee was bad for both teams.

I gave up on fighting that fight. It's pretty obvious what happened but everyone wants to cry Uefalona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad