Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I still don't understand why Manchester United went after Alexis Sanchez?

They already had Martial who was blossoming. They unsettled Pogba with his wages and Sanchez is on the downfall of his career. They should have used that money for better use like wingback and centerback.

What money? My memory's not what it once was, but wasn't it a straight-up swap?

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I don't know what it is , but I don't really rate Wijnaldum. Maybe I just need to watch more Liverpool games , but I'm not seeing it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't know what it is , but I don't really rate Wijnaldum. Maybe I just need to watch more Liverpool games , but I'm not seeing it.

He's played well the first two games and in many other games, but you're not the only one. Good player, nothing more than that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's not really. Valencia has made more defensive mistakes in the past couple of seasons and is less and less effective offensively. Valencia had only one assist last season where as Young had 7.
Young is awful defensively. Worst defensive player on the pitch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Klopp and the coaches certainly rate him. Watch the City games last season and how he played his first season, started this season etc.

He's overshadowed by bigger talents on the team but he's a great player in his own right. He does a lot of things that people don't watch for, he's extremely versatile, has incredible stamina and is very talented himself. Honestly in general he's been one of the only players that always shows up in big games on the team. Very underappreciated role player that facilitates for the front 3 and others ability to really shine.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wijnaldum is a very weird player. He had a great preseason and is in good form right now. That being said, I feel like he is the kind of player that is better when the team is in the lead. He can certainly be unnoticeable at times, and is a jack of all trades/master of none. Good to have in the squad but I doubt that he will be starting when Henderson and/or Fabinho start firing.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He’s a heck of a Swiss Army knife (kinda like Milner is, but Milner’s better) to have in the squad, but he shouldn’t start 35 games for a top 4 side with ambition to win stuff.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Jose is running true to form and I’ll be surprised if he lasts until Christmas. He’s already moaning about Liverpool and Man City buying the League (like Chelsea and Man U didn’t spend money). Same pattern. If I was a Man U fan I’d count this season out until he goes. Luckily I’m a Liverpool fan so I will enjoy their journey :popcorn:

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Jose is running true to form and I’ll be surprised if he lasts until Christmas. He’s already moaning about Liverpool and Man City buying the League (like Chelsea and Man U didn’t spend money). Same pattern. If I was a Man U fan I’d count this season out until he goes. Luckily I’m a Liverpool fan so I will enjoy their journey :popcorn:

It's a very predictable movie but still enjoyable. :)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Young is awful defensively. Worst defensive player on the pitch.

Young is usually a player that doesn't look terrible defensively at first glance because when he's back and in position he usually makes decent plays. The problem is that he has brutal decision making on when to get forward and ends up leaving massive gaps which can be exploited.

If all you're looking at is "on the ball" defense, he looks fine.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Wait, what? Really? What a moron.

Since he was hired, United has spent 350m euro net while Liverpool has spent 140m euro net.

Even if you ignore sales of players under some weird attempt to justify his comments it's still United at 432m euro gross and 387 euro gross for Liverpool.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Even if you ignore sales of players under some weird attempt to justify his comments it's still United at 432m euro net and 387 euro net for Liverpool.

Just a little tip if you want to ignore sales then you can just say gross instead of net :)

Reactions: Fro

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
“My impression of him is that he’s a very good manager; he was one of the main reasons I signed for Liverpool, in fact.
“It’s a massive club and doesn’t need too much selling but Brendan played a very big part when I made my decision.
“Liverpool’s loss has been Celtic’s gain, but we were lucky enough to bring in Jurgen Klopp after Brendan. He’s another top manager, so it’s worked out well for both clubs. Brendan did well at Anfield and he came so close to ending that long wait for the title.
“Would he have turned things round if he’d been given more time? I’m sure he would have done; you don’t come as close as he did to winning the league without doing something right, but the club chose a different path.”

James Milner with some good words on Brendan Rodgers.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Young is usually a player that doesn't look terrible defensively at first glance because when he's back and in position he usually makes decent plays. The problem is that he has brutal decision making on when to get forward and ends up leaving massive gaps which can be exploited.

If all you're looking at is "on the ball" defense, he looks fine.
Yep and then the CBs look worse than they are because they are trying to cover for him being out of position.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yep and then the CBs look worse than they are because they are trying to cover for him being out of position.

His positioning on Brighton's first goal was bad. Pressing way too tight on the guy in the middle which simultaneously left acres of space for the outside run, and also encouraged the CBs not to be in a good position to pick up that guy when Young went out wide to cover the pass out there. That left Bailly a ton of room to cover to try to intercept the cross.

On the third goal he's miles up the field at the same time Lindelof is way out wide which leaves Bailly as basically a lone defender against two attackers when there's a turnover in midfield. Granted, Bailly took the wrong path and dove in poorly which led to the pen, but if Young isn't so far upfield, Bailly can stay more centrally and trust Young to cover Murray out wide and he doesn't have near as much recovery to do.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His positioning on Brighton's first goal was bad. Pressing way too tight on the guy in the middle which simultaneously left acres of space for the outside run, and also encouraged the CBs not to be in a good position to pick up that guy when Young went out wide to cover the pass out there. That left Bailly a ton of room to cover to try to intercept the cross.

On the third goal he's miles up the field at the same time Lindelof is way out wide which leaves Bailly as basically a lone defender against two attackers when there's a turnover in midfield. Granted, Bailly took the wrong path and dove in poorly which led to the pen, but if Young isn't so far upfield, Bailly can stay more centrally and trust Young to cover Murray out wide and he doesn't have near as much recovery to do.
Yep that is exactly why I can't wait for Valencia to come back. I feel like his positioning is generally better than Young's. Kind of fishy that all three goals came from Young's side and he's not getting blamed at all. Shaw and Bailly have been really good in the first two games. Lindelof was really good the first game and pretty good the second. Darmian was pretty good the first game. Young was horrendous the second game. It doesn't help that while Pereira is fantastic in possession, he is not all that great defensively. He's much more of an 8 than a 6. With Matic and Valencia back, I think that this team will be at least somewhat better defensively. Also I noticed that neither Pogba nor Fred were really running at the defense, I'm wondering if that has something to do with them not trusting Pereira enough. Martial made one or two good runs and that was it. Mata was trash because he isn't a wide player. Lukaku got no service. Right now I think our best line up would look something like this

Alexis-Lukaku-Lingard/Rashford
Pogba-Fred
Matic
Shaw-Lindelof-Bailly-Valencia

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Mkhitaryan, Auba, Papa and Lacazette and poor investments unless they immediately win Europa or get top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad