Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Correct, none are pure bad or pure good. Liverpool have had quite a few idiots cheering Munich, and they should be banned for good. Just like United have had plenty of rotten supporters sing about Hillsborough pretty much every year since.

But that said, there have been high profile incidents with Chelsea's supporters in recent history (this being just the latest of the bunch), with both having inquests and bans for antisemitism and racism from their fans.

Once again, I don't want to paint with broad strokes, and one terrible person does not represent a club's supporter base. However, we are soon getting to the point to where the club and the bigger supporter groups need to make a stand and take a look at whether or not they're letting some things go on that shouldn't.

Not disagreeing. I tend to not really get involved on the stuff happening over there since I'm not directly interacting with any of them. I think twitter outrage can be disingenuous and people will target certain groups, but they won't look for issues from within their group.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Not disagreeing. I tend to not really get involved on the stuff happening over there since I'm not directly interacting with any of them. I think twitter outrage can be disingenuous and people will target certain groups, but they won't look for issues from within their group.

You are certainly correct in this.

the whole people living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and all.

That said, when something is reprehensible, I think people can be capable enough of calling it out, while also being critical of more than just that. The trouble I have is it means more when it's not the public, the FA, or twitter. It means something when supporters themselves take a stand and attempt to get rid of it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You are certainly correct in this.

the whole people living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and all.

That said, when something is reprehensible, I think people can be capable enough of calling it out, while also being critical of more than just that. The trouble I have is it means more when it's not the public, the FA, or twitter. It means something when supporters themselves take a stand and attempt to get rid of it.

Agreed. I don't know what it it's about sporting events that makes people think they can be a-holes. I see it happen even at kids leagues with crazy parents.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In hopes to avoid some of the political talk, because I don't think this is the place at all (even if sport relates to politics, and in a lot of ways soccer most of all), but I do think much of the recurrence of some of this reprehensible stuff is related to the rise of right wing and more unrest related to it. Sure, much of it has been present for as long as football has been around (they've had racist incidents for a long while, they've had fascist supporters, out and out thugs supporting clubs for as long as many of them have been around), but some of it today in my mind is due to the rise of general mainstream acceptance and encouragement. Combine that with an idea that a way of life is being threatened, and you're going to see more of this terrible stuff before you see less.

I certainly can accept now with everyone having access to social media and a phone in their pocket that some of the terrible stuff that would have just occurred and not gotten notice, but that doesn't excuse the mainstream incidents.

Monkey chants, calling people terrorists, antisemitism, cheering the death of players and fans in the past, should all be wiped out, and supporters who do them need to be banned.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Would rather stay with New Balance, but eh...

As with the look of the kit, I don't care who it is, as long as the check clears. 30 million more means a full top level footballer each season, from a tiny logo and a bad design. Sign me up.

Selfishly, Nike actually stocks some of the gear for clubs in many of their stores in the US. That means it's easier to get Liverpool stuff for me. New Balance shops carry basically nothing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What is disappointing, speaking as a North American fan of European soccer, is that the fanbase here is generally cosmopolitan in nature and relatively worldly when compared with fans of domestic sports.

It takes a bit of a commitment to follow sports in a vastly different timezone (and occasionally a different language), and in a lot of cases, they either play themselves, they have family from one of those countries involved, or they lived there at one time or another. They often have a greater interest in international affairs in general.

When I caught the Champions League final at a pub in Hammersmith and Fulham back in 2012, it was a raucous atmosphere to be sure. I was told in no uncertain terms by other supporters that I should "get the f*** out of here" if the Blues were to lose, because they were going to go after any one of the hundreds of police that were patrolling the area and it was going to get ugly.

As it turned out, they won, and these same fans were embracing the police and taking pictures with them.

The irony being that, on the tube going back to my downtown hotel, I was asked by a well-dressed woman whether there was a match going on. I mentioned the "Champions League Final" and she replied with "Oh, that's nice."

Hundreds and hundreds of Chelsea fans in blue and white had been waiting for the trains but my wife and I were the only ones going all the way back downtown, and I found it odd as a Canadian to have to point out the existence of the final.

I never really appreciated the classism of English football (lessened to be sure, but persisting nonetheless) until that moment.

Over here, wearing a soccer shirt around in public likely has the opposite effect of what it means over there.

So when I saw all of those videos of the deplorable behaviour by a number of different groups of Chelsea fans, it was embarrassing and shameful. No excuses here. Hooliganism and racism is not football.

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As with the look of the kit, I don't care who it is, as long as the check clears. 30 million more means a full top level footballer each season, from a tiny logo and a bad design. Sign me up.

Selfishly, Nike actually stocks some of the gear for clubs in many of their stores in the US. That means it's easier to get Liverpool stuff for me. New Balance shops carry basically nothing.
Unless you think that Nike is going to pay Liverpool like Barcelona or Real Madrid they're probably not going to get much more than 75m pounds a year anyway, which is what New Balance is willing to match.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Unless you think that Nike is going to pay Liverpool like Barcelona or Real Madrid they're probably not going to get much more than 75m pounds a year anyway, which is what New Balance is willing to match.

If you read the actual article, the article states that the reason they're going in another direction is because they're looking for a deal that pays them above what United gets.

There's a lot of wiggle room in between 75 and 100 to make it worth while. If they go to 85, 10 million pounds is a lot of difference, especially since it probably will be a 7-10 year deal.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you read the actual article, the article states that the reason they're going in another direction is because they're looking for a deal that pays them above what United gets.

There's a lot of wiggle room in between 75 and 100 to make it worth while. If they go to 85, 10 million pounds is a lot of difference, especially since it probably will be a 7-10 year deal.
Right...you said 30 million more which isn't realistic (unless you were just talking about a base amount in which case yeah, that'll be great). 75m pounds is what United get, and even if they manage to put an argument that they should be getting more than United based on current level I don't see how they'd manage something significantly more given United's marketability and value.

I don't really care either way as long as they don't **** up the home kit, which is pretty hard, but I've liked New Balance since Liverpool have been with them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
45 to 75 is 30 million. New Balance might be willing to meet the 75, but I'm not really sure that they are.

as for more than United, I think their market numbers for New Balance (while also being in less shops), along with their being 2nd, in the CL finals, and with attractive talent, and actually on the market (which many clubs are not right now), they should be able to get a decent bit more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Would rather get the most money from Nike and have our stuff in Nike stores everywhere which would lead to sponsorships (and the money Liverpool gets) skyrocketing.

New Balance has had problems with actually making enough kits to buy too.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In hopes to avoid some of the political talk, because I don't think this is the place at all (even if sport relates to politics, and in a lot of ways soccer most of all), but I do think much of the recurrence of some of this reprehensible stuff is related to the rise of right wing and more unrest related to it. Sure, much of it has been present for as long as football has been around (they've had racist incidents for a long while, they've had fascist supporters, out and out thugs supporting clubs for as long as many of them have been around), but some of it today in my mind is due to the rise of general mainstream acceptance and encouragement. Combine that with an idea that a way of life is being threatened, and you're going to see more of this terrible stuff before you see less.

I certainly can accept now with everyone having access to social media and a phone in their pocket that some of the terrible stuff that would have just occurred and not gotten notice, but that doesn't excuse the mainstream incidents.

Monkey chants, calling people terrorists, antisemitism, cheering the death of players and fans in the past, should all be wiped out, and supporters who do them need to be banned.
Don't want to go down a political rabbit hole, and I don't want this to be seen as defending, but I hope society gets to a point where we have better solutions than banning and shunning individuals. There has to be some sort of path to redemption, otherwise all those people just stay grouped together and get worse IMO. Maybe some of these people are too far gone, but you can absolutely be right-wing, and not be an a-hole, and the left has their extremists as well.

I just don't know enough about the Euro scene to understand why it seems to be a lot worse over there than it is here, in the sporting environment specifically.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I had written out a reply, and I think it stems too far into the politics range. I also think I know I'm going to get a response I don't really want to deal with from a certain poster.

Lets just say that nationalism and right wing parties are on the rise in a lot of Europe. I don't know that it has everything to do with the changes. But I do think there's more mainstream acceptance of being anti-immigrant, and pro white Europe.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Thats exactly my thought. New Balance is more of a niche brand with very small store and shop. They were always back order for the kit. Could not be happier to have Nike on board!!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I had written out a reply, and I think it stems too far into the politics range. I also think I know I'm going to get a response I don't really want to deal with from a certain poster.

Lets just say that nationalism and right wing parties are on the rise in a lot of Europe. I don't know that it has everything to do with the changes. But I do think there's more mainstream acceptance of being anti-immigrant, and pro white Europe.
Yep, and racism in any form is bad. I'm not an expert in how to solve it, but hopefully we get to a point where this stuff doesn't happen, and sports can actually be sports again and an escape from the craziness in the world.

Reactions: Chimaera

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Would rather get the most money from Nike and have our stuff in Nike stores everywhere which would lead to sponsorships (and the money Liverpool gets) skyrocketing.

New Balance has had problems with actually making enough kits to buy too.

Ugh, capitalist pig. In Spain the players make their jerseys themselves, out of biodegradable materials, and donate them to fans.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ugh, capitalist pig. In Spain the players make their jerseys themselves, out of biodegradable materials, and donate them to fans.

Yeah in this case I can't help it. Liverpool for once has a chance to launch themselves back into the very top revenue earning clubs. They have to do it no matter what. Further stadium expansion has to be next.

It's a far cry from when Adidas dropped Liverpool because they thought their performance level was too poor to give a kit deal to.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
About the Salah video, numerous times this season I've seen comments from people saying he looked like an ISIS member or whatever the f***. Thinking that shit, never mind saying it, is absolutely sick. Seen it from all sorts of supporters in fact. And yes, it is tied to politics and the way people now think it's acceptable to say shit like that. It's a f***ing embarrassment, end of.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Best loan deal in the club's history. Superb player that oozed class with Arsenal playing style. I miss when we actually played good football.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I never felt more like Liverpool would win the league than when he scored at Fulham. Insane to think that was 10 years ago. That goal and the one against Real Madrid were close to as good as it gets.

Reactions: Chimaera

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Best loan deal in the club's history. Superb player that oozed class with Arsenal playing style. I miss when we actually played good football.

I think it's great that he earned a tweet for his one loan season Haha. Great career, great little player. Got me supporting West Ham.

Reactions: Cassano

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
About the Salah video, numerous times this season I've seen comments from people saying he looked like an ISIS member or whatever the ****. Thinking that ****, never mind saying it, is absolutely sick. Seen it from all sorts of supporters in fact. And yes, it is tied to politics and the way people now think it's acceptable to say **** like that. It's a ****ing embarrassment, end of.
Sometimes I really hate our sport. Like any group, when you have so many (Googled that there are 1.5 billion Muslims) there will eventually be bad apples where other idiots judge the entire group solely on them.

Would like to echo the comments here, he was one of those players where you're like who? But when he played holy smokes was he underrated. Very good player.

Reactions: Cassano

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad