Premier League 2017-2018

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Fifty bucks is crazy. I pay 25 for my full satellite package. It's true I only get one PL game per time slot, but I've also got games from the Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch leagues on other channels as well.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You can't totally blame them though. This is every other American sports model.

You get nationally televised games, and if you want every game, you have to buy the season pass.

I highly doubt it impacts United/Arsenal/Liverpool games because those get the big numbers. If you're a Palace/Newcastle/Southampton fan? You're stuck

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
DA62jdXUAAA6dzX.jpg

Last year top 10 watched:

ManCity-4
Liverpool-3
Tottenham-3
ManU-2
Chelsea-2
Leicester-2
Arsenal-1

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

You get nationally televised games, and if you want every game, you have to buy the season pass.

I highly doubt it impacts United/Arsenal/Liverpool games because those get the big numbers. If you're a Palace/Newcastle/Southampton fan? You're stuck

Beginning of the TV bubble.

NBC overpaid so they're trying to make up for it.

Just my opinion.

I'll still enjoy TSN and Sportsnet doing dual coverage.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Beginning of the TV bubble.

NBC overpaid so they're trying to make up for it.

Just my opinion.

I'll still enjoy TSN and Sportsnet doing dual coverage.

Oh I don't disagree.

And I'm not sure they have the following to pull this off. The NFL can do whatever the hell they want. EPL? Not so much.

I'm more surprised at the surprise I guess? This was always going to happen.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Wait do they consider the overflow channels esquire/CNBC/USA or whatever?

Oh well, I didn't really use it online often.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
it is stupid, i dont get why they dont put it on EPL Goal Zone(yes, i know that is a rip off of the MLS package). I have Directv and i would pay for the package if it were like 99 bucks or something.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
NUFC made their radio free (instead of part of NUFCTV package) starting last season. Hopefully that continues.

If not I still am not forking out $50. I'll follow via Twitter which I did many times because Newcastle only lost a couple of times when I did that and I will always go with what works.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd pay $50 if I followed a smaller club. I assume about 25 games would be on there and it's worth 2 dollars a game. But considering Liverpool will be on there about 6 or 7 times (or less), it's back to stealing and I don't even feel a little bad about it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And people wonder why English teams struggle to compete in Europe.

It's because of NBC's broadcasting decisions?

Anyway, given how often Arsenal is on, I probably won't shell out money. I also have FoxSports1 and BeIN, so I have plenty of soccer.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
It's because of NBC's broadcasting decisions?

Anyway, given how often Arsenal is on, I probably won't shell out money. I also have FoxSports1 and BeIN, so I have plenty of soccer.

English teams will play 6-7 more games than their German/Spanish/French/Italian rivals by Dec 31st. They're consistently at disadvantage and somehow still picked on for not advancing further despite this huge handicap.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They have more money than all of them. So no, it's not a handicap. They need to learn how to use it better.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
They have more money than all of them. So no, it's not a handicap. They need to learn how to use it better.

That's ridiculous. No amount of depth will allow the English teams to rest their stars and draw them on an equal playing field to everybody else in Europe. It's arguably the deepest league to boot and the top teams aren't really able to walk through games like the big clubs in the other countries can.

I don't understand why people continue to trash their record in Europe while ignoring this. This isn't FIFA 17. Professional athletes get tired, and the ones on the English teams are clearly not in peak physical condition when the CL rolls around.

It's not an opinion. It's a fact.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Not exactly my favourite topic to discuss, but don't you find it odd that every single club for years and years are incapable of spending their money "better"?

So often I see people claiming that English clubs are "stupid" and not very well ran (similar to "learn how to use it better"). That might be some truth to that, but every single one of them? And every single one of them continue to be so regardless of who owns and manages them?

To me that is clearly not the full picture / answer / reason.

If it is the number of games or just lack of stability at the top - I'm not sure. Barcelona, RM, BM, Juventus etc. are basically guaranteed to be a top 3-4 club even when they have a bad season. That is not the same in England any longer. I don't think it is a coincidence that English clubs did better in the CL when you had more stability among the top 4.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So, EPL teams play more until december and thus play less afterwards, including during the CL knockout stage....

Where's the handicap?

Monaco was the team in Europe (Top 5 leagues) with the most games and they reached the semis with a squad of teenagers. They had to play several prem. rounds before making the CL. EPL teams barely have prem. rounds.

So where's the handicap?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not exactly my favourite topic to discuss, but don't you find it odd that every single club for years and years are incapable of spending their money "better"?

So often I see people claiming that English clubs are "stupid" and not very well ran (similar to "learn how to use it better"). That might be some truth to that, but every single one of them? And every single one of them continue to be so regardless of who owns and manages them?

To me that is clearly not the full picture / answer / reason.

If it is the number of games or just lack of stability at the top - I'm not sure. Barcelona, RM, BM, Juventus etc. are basically guaranteed to be a top 3-4 club even when they have a bad season. That is not the same in England any longer. I don't think it is a coincidence that English clubs did better in the CL when you had more stability among the top 4.

Clearly it is, and one of the reasons why they spend badly is because they have too much money. When EPL teams go out and sign Jordan Ayew for 15M€ for crazy money it's stupid. When they signed Kante for half the fee, it is smart.
Plenty of teams have too much money and don't scout the players well enough.
Some EPL teams do their homework when it comes to scouting. For instance, Chelsea rarely makes huge mistakes when signing someone. Sometimes, youngsters (on loan) don't pan out, but they go and try to sign the best.
OTOH, Aston Villa spending 15M on Ayew is just perfectly ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain could tell you that. Anyone who's seen even ONE game of Ayew could tell you that. And I can't even imagine them mxiing up with his brother. They're supposed to be professionnal.

There's this thought still, in the EPL, that money and "glory" (that's how EPL views itself) will make the difference.
In the end, teams that invested smartly top the others. Leicester signed Kante, it was smart. Same with Mahrez. It paid off. That was enough to win the CL in a down year for mega teams who spent mega-millions on overrated players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Not really though. Every other American sports model is based here, so you get every local sports team in your basic cable package, without spending extra.

If NBC wants more money, that's fine, but make a $75-100 package for every single game, and a $25 package for 1 single team. Or something along those lines. What MLB does for their service aimed at fans living outside the local market of their team. I'd pay something for every Chelsea game, but not $50.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That NBC subscription thing really pisses me off. I wasn't thinking of cord cutting yet, but I may now. Really screws anyone not following the top 6.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The ironic thing is that live sports is the only thing keeping many Americans from cutting cords.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad