Premier League 15/16 II: Let's All Try (and Fail) to Hate the Foxes

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
_89776578_premierleaguemanagers.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36364417

The BBC rates each manager in 5 different categories there.

lol @ Mourinho's 8 for Entertainment value, just as much as Guardiola and Klopp. I expect MU to have good results next season though.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Uefa fines Liverpool and Manchester United for illicit chants

Liverpool and Manchester United have been fined by Uefa for illicit chants during their Europa League last-16 tie. Both clubs have also been punished for the throwing of objects by fans and crowd disturbances, with United fined £44,342 and Liverpool £43,577. Liverpool have also been sanctioned for setting off fireworks and a late kick-off, while United were charged for stairways blocked at their stadium. The Anfield side must also pay for damage caused by fans at Old Trafford. Both clubs' fines include £15,290 suspended for two years. Rival fans were seen fighting in the stands, seats were thrown and flares were lit during the 1-1 second-leg draw at Old Trafford, during which five men were arrested.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36372274

I realize it's legal to fine for chants, but I think it's cheesy. Stick and stones, etc.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The "At least Van Gaal played youth players" argument is disingenuous. He played youth players because he had about a dozen first team players injured at any one time. If Rooney had been fit for 38 games, Rashford wouldn't have got a look-in. You can say he and others flourished under him which is fair, but they got the chance out of necessity rather than any sustained coherent plan or philosophy.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Tottenham Hotspur will host their home Champions League games at Wembley next season, the stadium confirmed on Saturday.

As Sportsmail reported earlier this week, the Football Association and Spurs have also reached an agreement for the Premier League club to hire the stadium for the full 2017-18 season if required while their new stadium is being built.

Tottenham are building a £400million, 61,000-capacity ground adjacent to their White Hart Lane home. They plan to move into the new stadium at the start of the 2018-19 season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ome-games-national-stadium.html#ixzz49wSapkSc

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
_89823901_gettyimages-520209884.jpg

"Our season ticket waiting list is over 50,000 so this now also offers us a great opportunity to provide more of our supporters with a chance to see the team play live during our Champions League campaign," said chairman Daniel Levy. "Importantly, as we know it was our fans' preference, it means that we can play our home matches in London during our season away."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36404799

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1 Arsenal
2 Manchester City
3 Manchester United
4 Chelsea
5 Liverpool
6 Tottenham
7 Southampton
8 West Ham
9 Leicester City
10 Everton
11 Stoke
12 Crystal Palace
13 Bournemouth
14 Swansea
15 Sunderland
16 Watford
17 Middlesbrough
18 West Brom
19 Burnley
20 Hull City

What are your predictions for the 2016-17 EPL table? Mine are listed above.

Last edited:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Too early to tell, lots of movement to come in the transfer window. When the teams have their set rosters it would be worth doing predictions.

But if Chelsea finish 4th with no European fixtures to worry about, I'm going to piiiiiiisssseeedddd.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have a feeling City will win it.

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. West Ham
7. Leicester City
8. Manchester United
9. Everton
10. Stoke
11. Southampton
12. Crystal Palace
13. Swansea
14. Bournemouth
15. Watford
16. West Brom
17. Hull City
18. Sunderland
19. Middlesbrough
20. Burnley

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
1. Manchester United (Mou's initial success before falling out with players next year)
2. Chelsea (Conte can build teams that don't lose a lot, especially with no Europe)
3. Liverpool (Trending upward and gets close, but not quite yet, maybe 17/18)
4. Manchester City (Players can't adjust to Guardiola quickly enough)
5. Tottenham (Increased inconsistency because of Europe)
6. Arsenal (Wenger is finally gone after this season)
7. Leicester City (European commitments hamper them too much)
8. West Ham
9. Stoke
10. West Brom
11. Southampton
12. Crystal Palace
13. Everton
14. Sunderland
15. Watford
16. Middlesbrough
17. Swansea
18. Hull City
19. Bournemouth
20. Burnley

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Still so much to happen it's hard to make meaningful predictions.

But I can say that United finishing 8th is certainly.....bold. :laugh:

Would mark their lowest league finish 89-90 and would also be the only time in his entire career that Mourinho has finished lower than 7th in a full season. He's actually never finished lower than 3rd in a full season in his managerial career.

Although if they're on pace to finish 8th, it's entirely possible that he doesn't last a full season :laugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Still so much to happen it's hard to make meaningful predictions.

But I can say that United finishing 8th is certainly.....bold. :laugh:

Would mark their lowest league finish 89-90 and would also be the only time in his entire career that Mourinho has finished lower than 7th in a full season. He's actually never finished lower than 3rd in a full season in his managerial career.

Although if they're on pace to finish 8th, it's entirely possible that he doesn't last a full season :laugh:

Agreed, a lot to happen before any predictions should really be made.

United finishing first looks about equally as bold at this stage.

He's never been in a position where he shouldn't have finished at least 3rd in a full season.

United seem to stick it out more than other clubs do. IMO they certainly did with van Gaal and even Moyes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
First, although a crazy long shot, is still far more likely than 8th.

It's still a team that, despite terrible managing and a ton of injuries ends up tied for 4th and winning the FA cup.

Thinking they'll get significantly worse after bringing in a manger who, despite his flaws, has shown an incredible ability to be competitive in the league, just doesn't line up for me.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
First, although a crazy long shot, is still far more likely than 8th.

It's still a team that, despite terrible managing and a ton of injuries ends up tied for 4th and winning the FA cup.

Thinking they'll get significantly worse after bringing in a manger who, despite his flaws, has shown an incredible ability to be competitive in the league, just doesn't line up for me.

First is more likely, but not far more likely than eighth.

A lot of other sides were terribly managed and also had injuries. Tied for fourth I agree with to an extent, but winning the FA Cup doesn't say much. Look at their competition.

Thinking they'll get significantly better at this stage considering their competition and where they currently stand just doesn't line up for me. Mourinho has a lot of work to do with that squad, IE spending a lot of money. On top of that he's not walking into a situation where he has a ton to work with. Hell, one of his best players was a complete disaster the last time they worked together. Mourinho hasn't walked into a situation this difficult since before he took over Porto. And that's the big point about Mourinho. He's always had it relatively easy since the day he took over at Porto. That's not to say he hasn't made his mark or made a difference. He absolutely has. Still has a lot of work to do with United as it stands right now. Fortunately United will spend a boatload of money, but that still isn't a guarantee.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For me I see...

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. United

Liverpool and Chelsea don't have Europe and will have a full pre-season under their new managers with the talent to make use of it. Arsenal is Arsenal...City I'm actually less confident on and could see a bit lower, but they still have a ridiculously talented team and a very consistent manager coming in. I'm not big on United as a squad, and I could see them finishing behind Spurs also.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So much depends on whether United succeeds at throwing money correctly at their problem.

Still 8th is to low, and 1st is most likely to high. A finish that gets them back into champions might be a bit more down to earth.

If England loses the 4th Champions spot does it happen next season or the season after?

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Former Chelsea first team doctor Eva Carneiro rejected a £1.2m settlement from the club, documents submitted to her employment tribunal show. She is claiming constructive dismissal and is also bringing separate legal action against Jose Mourinho. The former manager called her "daughter of a *****" in Portuguese when she treated a player, the tribunal heard.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-36460728

I'm not proud of this.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If England loses the 4th Champions spot does it happen next season or the season after?

If you're talking about the 4th spot for being one of the top 3 associations, then it would be 2018-2019 at the earliest that it could be lost.

The final rankings after the 15-16 season (this one) include 11-12 through 15-16 and determine the spots for the 17-18 CL/EL season. England is currently 5.845 points ahead of Italy in the 3rd place race.

However when we go into next year England drops off 15.25 from 11-12 and Italy only drops off 11.357. Germany also drops of 15.25.

That would mean the initial standings for 16-17 are:

1. Spain - a lot, no one is catching them
2. Germany - +3.893
3. England - 0
4. Italy - -1.952
5. France - Way back, never catching up

Italy's big year (19 earned points in 14-15) was when Juventus was RU for the CL and Fiorentina and Napoli both made the EL semis. Other than that their highest is 14.4. England's lowest is 13.57 so I'd say odds are that England holds onto the 3rd place ranking through the 16-17 season (which means 4 spots for 18-19) although it's far from guaranteed and a team like Leicester or Spurs struggling with suddenly being in the CL group stage could tumble England's result.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If you're talking about the 4th spot for being one of the top 3 associations, then it would be 2018-2019 at the earliest that it could be lost. ...
Interesting post. I believe that if HF posters had to choose between watching teams play live or having access to all the information about sports, over half of HF posters would choose to have access to all the information about sports and watch teams play after the games were over.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
No amount of money and investment will lead to a trophy for United with Mourinho. Chelsea and Conte have a much better chance at the title.

1. Arsenal
2. Manchester City
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Manchester United
6. Liverpool

Mourinho at Chelsea the 2nd time around when he won the EPL had the stars align for him. It's unheard of to see a team stay as healthy as they did with all the other top clubs suffering significant injuries everywhere.

The Spurs, Arsenal, City, and Chelsea are going to be to strong for them to finish in the top 4.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad