GWT: Premier League 12/31-1/4

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Otamendi has been pretty terrible his entire stint with Manchester City. Somehow he was good in Valencia and was named to the La Liga team of the year before moving, but I haven't really seen any evidence of that quality while he's been in England, at least not any consistently. I remember a lot of hype on this board about him when he came over there, hasn't really worked out.

Otamendi only had one stellar season his entire career and that was with Valencia. He was never more than an ok defender. That being said from the games I saw he's ok to good most of the games he just always makes one terrible mistake that leads to a goal.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
This game is the perfect example of why Sterling wasn't worth the price City paid. Obviously, his pace makes him dangerous, but he's hardly been in the game today.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
This game is the perfect example of why Sterling wasn't worth the price City paid. Obviously, his pace makes him dangerous, but he's hardly been in the game today.
His final ball just isn't good enough. I still think Pep should try him centrally, that's where his best work happened at Liverpool.

At heart he's going to keep playing, his final ball is 100X times better than that of his backup Jesus Navass.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I did not even realized it yet but the next Liverpool game is in 2 days... How can teams prepare any gameplan?
Going to be really hard for them to play that the tempo that they like as well. Klopp's Dortmund teams struggled to stay fit throughout the season, and it's only going to get worse in the PL without the winter break.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I did not even realized it yet but the next Liverpool game is in 2 days... How can teams prepare any gameplan?

Klopp openly complained about this to no avail because Sky doesn't care if the players get hurt.

If last season was an indication, I expect Klopp to make at least 7 changes to the team.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The top 6 is set, now just the order is to be decided. Would be surprised if Chelsea doesn't win, and I think Liverpool finishes in the top 4. The other two spots come down to City/Arsenal/Spurs/United. I also think the 3 teams at the bottom will stay there, Sunderland getting blasted at Burnley confirmed this, and Allardyce will keep Palace up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The top 6 is set, now just the order is to be decided. Would be surprised if Chelsea doesn't win, and I think Liverpool finishes in the top 4. The other two spots come down to City/Arsenal/Spurs/United. I also think the 3 teams at the bottom will stay there, Sunderland getting blasted at Burnley confirmed this, and Allardyce will keep Palace up.

Liverpool is the only team that can catch Chelsea. Not saying they will, or even that they will finish 2nd, but I don't see a 9 point swing from Chelsea.

Liverpool finishes in the top 4 unless they implode with Mane at AFCON, (which along with Karius' errors may be the reason they didn't win the league). Arsenal will finish top 4 as well, and the final spot will go to one of the Manchester teams.

With the win today, Liverpool HAVE to make a move in January to get another winger. If they would have dropped points they could have stood pat, but they will need to make a move if they want to give themselves a realistic title run.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Liverpool is the only team that can catch Chelsea. Not saying they will, or even that they will finish 2nd, but I don't see a 9 point swing from Chelsea.

Liverpool finishes in the top 4 unless they implode with Mane at AFCON, (which along with Karius' errors may be the reason they didn't win the league). Arsenal will finish top 4 as well, and the final spot will go to one of the Manchester teams.

With the win today, Liverpool HAVE to make a move in January to get another winger. If they would have dropped points they could have stood pat, but they will need to make a move if they want to give themselves a realistic title run.

Mr. Klopp failing to play Klavan at Bournemouth may also cost them the league. He was immense today. I don't see any implosion coming. The league this year after the top 6 is really not very good, so I think they will beat most of those teams due to the fact they score so many goals. They have already scored 4 goals 7 times in the league. They have to go to both Manchester Clubs away, and other only go to London to play Palace. They are 7 points ahead of where they were with Suarez 3 seasons ago, though that team won 11 in a row.

Some of us were very wrong. Chelsea is an excellent team with an excellent good coach. I think they are overperforming and benefiting from a light schedule compared to other teams a bit, though.

They obviously tuned Mourinho out, they dominated the league two years ago and should have won the league the year before but they lost points to relegation candidates though in March and April. They added Kante, I thought they would compete for the league but I didn't seem them being able to win 13 in a row. I think that ends at White Hart Lane on Wednesday though.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Lol Pep Jackson

I prefer Pepbron

CkoO9bqWUAEFPw9.jpg

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So Klopp is Pop?

If you want to go for an NBA analogy as superficial as "only wins with the most talented team" I suppose Wenger is Pop for their longevity with the same team.

IMO Tuchel would be Pop and someone like Ancelotti would be Phil. Klopp is Thibodeau with a bit of D'Antoni mixed in. There's not a good NBA equivalent for Pep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad