OT: Pregame Activities in LA

Some people have suggested Grand Central Station. It's basically a bunch of different vendors in one area. All types of food.

Previous time I took the GF to a game we did:
The Broad (Art Gallery) -> Grand Central Station -> Game

I thought Grand Central Station was cool. You're bound to find something you like, but it's mostly mediocre IMO (I think that about most food places though). My only complaint was the music inside was too loud.

Just to clarify it's the Grand Central Market. Don't want anyone showing up to Union Station which isn't too far away but I wouldn't go there for food. The market is definitely more about affordability than anything but even that has changed in the past 10 years.

Holy f*** those prices for beer and kabobs? Definitely gonna eat before the game on the 28th. Any restaurant recommendations?

Eat before and if it needs to be nearby there are plenty of sit down restaurants and fast options that are cheaper or same price but better. What are you looking for.. cheap, quality or the best compromise?

Reactions: johnjm22

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Just to clarify it's the Grand Central Market. Don't want anyone showing up to Union Station which isn't too far away but I wouldn't go there for food. The market is definitely more about affordability than anything but even that has changed in the past 10 years.
Maccheroni Republic across the street from Grand Central Market is pretty good. Homemade pasta. Not out of hand prices for the quality. Ive paid more for a lot worse.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Can't remember the last food item I purchased.

As much of a bummer as it was to pay elevated prices for McDonalds, that was still the best deal there since most of the other options sucked. I'd take that $7 or whatever double quarter pound and run, or just get an order of fries for $2 and have a snack.

Used to have a real tasty cheesesteak that they sold from the concession stand at the smoking area. Used to pound those with an order of fries and a side of cheese sauce. For several seasons now though, I just make sure to eat something before I get there.

Kind of been embarrassing that I've found Honda Center to be better in the food department going back to the late '00s.

Regardless, today's inflationary prices are making the answer to "what to get at the Kings games" an easy "nothing". When a double tequila soda with lame quality tequila is ~$40, it's a good time to quit drinking. Pop a $3 weed pill an hour or so beforehand and call it a day.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Eat before and if it needs to be nearby there are plenty of sit down restaurants and fast options that are cheaper or same price but better. What are you looking for.. cheap, quality or the best compromise?
Best compromise. Not really familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!

There's a food court a 7th and Fig that has Five Guys, Ocho (like chipotle), a pita place, an couple of Asian places, George's Greek and Mendocino Farms. Mendocino Farms is the best option in my opinion. It's a sandwich/salad shop with high quality ingredients. You might have one where you live because they seem to be popping up everywhere now.

There's a decent pizza place at on 8th and Fig called Pizza Next Door. There's always the Pantry (a famous diner that has been around forever). I'm not a huge fan of El Cholo but it's acrpss the street from Staples and the fajitas are a good value. You can probably feed two people with them.

Bottega Louie is a really nice italian place and is a bit further from Staples. It's also going to be more pricier but if you go make sure to get some portabella fries.

A truly unique place to go to is Uncle Johns. Think diner food meets Chinese food. Their known for their spicey pork chop and fried rice but they have a full breakfast menu all day there.

Another local chain is Panini Kabob Grill. Probably one of my favorite restaurants. The Kabob plate can easily be split by two. If you got four people get the family feast for no more than $15 a head.

Both Phillipe's and Langers are famous sandwich places not far away. Phillipe's claims to be the inventor of the french dip and Langer's is know for their pastrami. Both are a few miles from Staples so you won't be able to walk there.

Lastly, there are a few taco trucks usually parked on olympic just to the north of LA live. Danny's tacos used to be pretty good but last time I went it had gone down hill. YMMV.

Reactions: johnjm22

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2