OT: Pregame Activities in LA

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Ended up going to the LA Zoo.

It was quite nice. Hardly anyone there. It's also one of the only places in LA with free easy parking.

Original plan was Zoo -> Little Tokyo (for lunch) -> Game. But we ended up skipping Little Tokyo because we spent so much time at the zoo.

We ate at the Kabob place inside Crypto. I can't remember what it was called. It was okay. They charged us $95 for 4 small beers.
Would probably been better with a kings win
Hope you guys had fun

Reactions: johnjm22

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Ended up going to the LA Zoo.

It was quite nice. Hardly anyone there. It's also one of the only places in LA with free easy parking.

Original plan was Zoo -> Little Tokyo (for lunch) -> Game. But we ended up skipping Little Tokyo because we spent so much time at the zoo.

We ate at the Kabob place inside Crypto. I can't remember what it was called. It was okay. They charged us $95 for 4 small beers.
It's going to be great for my health that a double of their lowest end stuff winds up costing me around $42 now, which equals a decent bottle in the real world. I bought one last night only because it was opening night and it took us 37 minutes to park from the Pico offramp off the 110, which is bonkers since the parking structure is literally across the street. Then we had a fun 20-25 minutes to get out. Never had this happen in 20+ years of having season seats.

Game Saturday night? No way in hell I'm going back there so soon after last night.

Hope the zoo was fun. I haven't been in years but that actually seems like a great time for the wife and I.

Reactions: johnjm22

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm doing to park & ride at LA Zoo this weekend for a concert at the Hollywood bowl. Never done that before, but i've heard good things compared to parking on/around the HWB.

Now wondering if we should go earlier to hang & checking out the zoo itself. hmmm

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
The last time our family was at the LA Zoo, we saw one of their wolves (or African Wild Dogs; can't exactly remember) devour a squirrel that had wandered too close to it. Everyone around us was practically throwing up; my kids and I couldn't stop laughing. Yeah, we were "that" family right that second.

If you're into music at all and have about an hour to kill pre-or-post-game, the Grammy Museum at LA Live is a really fun place to tour. My daughter is an aspiring singer/performer, so that place is like her local Mecca, and even my son (who otherwise hates any museum that doesn't involve trains or airplanes) enjoys it...

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's going to be great for my health that a double of their lowest end stuff winds up costing me around $42 now, which equals a decent bottle in the real world. I bought one last night only because it was opening night and it took us 37 minutes to park from the Pico offramp off the 110, which is bonkers since the parking structure is literally across the street. Then we had a fun 20-25 minutes to get out. Never had this happen in 20+ years of having season seats.

Game Saturday night? No way in hell I'm going back there so soon after last night.

Hope the zoo was fun. I haven't been in years but that actually seems like a great time for the wife and I.
$459 for 2 tickets (sec 119)
$20 for parking
$95 for 4 small beers
$65 for 2 kabob rice bows in the arena
$20 for a hotdog in the arena
$90 in gas (I drive a Titan)

$749 total spent to watch the Kings lose :)

When you go to a game and it turns about to be a good one, it can be super fun and exhilarating. Long lasting memories are made.

On the other hand, when you're roaming the streets of LA at 10pm trying to find where you parked after a boring miserable loss, you get the 'why do I even give a f*** about this team?' feeling. Really drains you as a fan. Makes you feel kind of dumb for spending so much money. Like you got played.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
$20 for parking
$95 for 4 small beers

When you go to a game and it turns about to be a good one, it can be super fun and exhilarating. Long lasting memories are made.

On the other hand, when you're roaming the streets of LA at 10pm trying to find where you parked after a boring miserable loss, you get the 'why do I even give a f*** about this team?' feeling. Really drains you as a fan. Makes you feel kind of dumb for spending so much money. Like you got played.
Sorry if I missed it, but aside from the loss, did you and your girlfriend have a good time at the zoo and the game together?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to get frustrated because I haven't seen the Kings win a game in person since 2018. Every game I go to is not only a loss, but usually isn't competitive. I only go to like 1 or 2 games per season.

I along with another board member were at the 8-2 loss to the Oilers in the playoffs in 2022. That was awful.

The GF is now 0-2. She's only seen the Kings score 3 goals total, and each one has been on the other end of the rink.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sorry if I missed it, but aside from the loss, did you and your girlfriend have a good time at the zoo and the game together?
Overall we had a great time.

Zoo was fun. She loved the Laf fight. And the Kings made the game interesting for awhile after the QB goal. During the 1st intermission some electro music group called 'Two Friends' did a set. Coincidentally she was a fan of them, so that was a fun pleasant surprise.

Would have been a perfect day had the Kings won.

Thanks for asking KP.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
$20 for parking
$95 for 4 small beers

I'd be pretty pissed about $749 for that experience. Granted it is Row 4 in the upper bowl, but four of my seats are $817 each for the season. I never buy food there (for price reasons, sure, but the food also sucks and is way worse than during the 2000s) but I probably paid $500 for a bottle of Red Breast over time since I was the only one ordering it. $42 for a double Jameson is a bridge too far for me at this point.

I'm dropping my three seats that aren't Die Hard pricing after this season and will ride the Diehard train for as long as possible. I used to never miss a game but it is more and more rewarding to stay home as I turn into an old man.

I'm also pretty sure I'm not going to miss a heated, hard-hitting game since the Kings don't play those type of games. Only game I regretted not going to last season was Cal's Last Stand simply for the history of it since I've been at pretty much every "historic" game since 2001.

$749 for a loss. Total bummer. Hopefully getting to say "I was at Laferriere's first NHL game" will really be something worth saying.

I spent $220 for two tickets PR18 row 1 including parking lot C.

Another cool place to check out if you're early is the Grand Central Market. Go to Tacos, Tumbras Y Tomas and get one taco. It's a mound of meat with salsa, cilantro and onion. They give give you 6 tortillas to make additional tacos with yourself. $5 and you'll be waddling out the door. There are also some cool arcade bars over the in the arts district which is close to Little Tokyo. There are some cool rooftop bars nearby Staples. Broken Shaker, Perch and 73 above (at the Intercontinental). The latter is incredibly expensive so just grab one drink there. Make sure to use the urinal at the bathroom. You piss on the windown facing another building. I'm assuming it's tinted but I don't care either way. It's an experience to say the least!

I'd be pretty pissed about $749 for that experience. Granted it is Row 4 in the upper bowl, but four of my seats are $817 each for the season. I never buy food there (for price reasons, sure, but the food also sucks and is way worse than during the 2000s) but I probably paid $500 for a bottle of Red Breast over time since I was the only one ordering it. $42 for a double Jameson is a bridge too far for me at this point.

I'm dropping my three seats that aren't Die Hard pricing after this season and will ride the Diehard train for as long as possible. I used to never miss a game but it is more and more rewarding to stay home as I turn into an old man.

I'm also pretty sure I'm not going to miss a heated, hard-hitting game since the Kings don't play those type of games. Only game I regretted not going to last season was Cal's Last Stand simply for the history of it since I've been at pretty much every "historic" game since 2001.

$749 for a loss. Total bummer. Hopefully getting to say "I was at Laferriere's first NHL game" will really be something worth saying.

Not sure if you have a platinum Amex but there is a centurion lounge on suite level B. Maybe you're aware of this but if not you should check it out if you or a friend has a platinum Amex. You have to get there right as the doors to open to have a chance in but one platinum card will get you and 3 other ppl two free drinks and you can watch the game from there. It's right above the restaurant on the PR level. some of the views are obstructed. It's really busy before game time but you can generally find a place to sit once it gets close to gametime because most people there aren't sitting in the nose bleeds and go to their seats. Also, you need to enter at the main entrance (by the statue forest) as once you enter there will be another line to get a wrist band to get into the lounge. They allow 150 ppl and it's two free drinks per person.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The last time our family was at the LA Zoo, we saw one of their wolves (or African Wild Dogs; can't exactly remember) devour a squirrel that had wandered too close to it. Everyone around us was practically throwing up; my kids and I couldn't stop laughing. Yeah, we were "that" family right that second.

If you're into music at all and have about an hour to kill pre-or-post-game, the Grammy Museum at LA Live is a really fun place to tour. My daughter is an aspiring singer/performer, so that place is like her local Mecca, and even my son (who otherwise hates any museum that doesn't involve trains or airplanes) enjoys it...
Heh. So many people seem to forget that in the wild “dinner” means some critter is getting eaten alive and “reproduction” isn’t exactly consensual most of the time.

I spent $220 for two tickets PR18 row 1 including parking lot C.

Another cool place to check out if you're early is the Grand Central Market. Go to Tacos, Tumbras Y Tomas and get one taco. It's a mound of meat with salsa, cilantro and onion. They give give you 6 tortillas to make additional tacos with yourself. $5 and you'll be waddling out the door. There are also some cool arcade bars over the in the arts district which is close to Little Tokyo. There are some cool rooftop bars nearby Staples. Broken Shaker, Perch and 73 above (at the Intercontinental). The latter is incredibly expensive so just grab one drink there. Make sure to use the urinal at the bathroom. You piss on the windown facing another building. I'm assuming it's tinted but I don't care either way. It's an experience to say the least!
Be waddling to the toilet the next day too. Don’t get me wrong I love Mexican food but damn my body can’t handle it like it used to.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Not sure if you have a platinum Amex but there is a centurion lounge on suite level B. Maybe you're aware of this but if not you should check it out if you or a friend has a platinum Amex. You have to get there right as the doors to open to have a chance in but one platinum card will get you and 3 other ppl two free drinks and you can watch the game from there. It's right above the restaurant on the PR level. some of the views are obstructed. It's really busy before game time but you can generally find a place to sit once it gets close to gametime because most people there aren't sitting in the nose bleeds and go to their seats. Also, you need to enter at the main entrance (by the statue forest) as once you enter there will be another line to get a wrist band to get into the lounge. They allow 150 ppl and it's two free drinks per person.
I know about it and have tried to do it but I'm never there early enough to get in. Going to so many games for so long now, we just try to get in and get out. Weeknights are impossible since I work in Mission Viejo and don't leave LB until 6:30 or later.

If I tried to do the lounge, got there pretty early and then still couldn't get in, I'd be so irritated that I was at the game hours before puck drop haha.

We got screwed on Lot C for opening night and were rerouted to the horrible lot for LA Live after 20 minutes of trudging along Lot C from the Pico exit. Complete nightmare and a reason why I'm not going tomorrow even though it is a Saturday night game: I need to not go back for at least a week since it pissed me off so much.

I know about it and have tried to do it but I'm never there early enough to get in. Going to so many games for so long now, we just try to get in and get out. Weeknights are impossible since I work in Mission Viejo and don't leave LB until 6:30 or later.

If I tried to do the lounge, got there pretty early and then still couldn't get in, I'd be so irritated that I was at the game hours before puck drop haha.

We got screwed on Lot C for opening night and were rerouted to the horrible lot for LA Live after 20 minutes of trudging along Lot C from the Pico exit. Complete nightmare and a reason why I'm not going tomorrow even though it is a Saturday night game: I need to not go back for at least a week since it pissed me off so much.

Yeah it seemed to be a disaster for some reason. I went south on LA Live Way because going north wasn't even an option. I went right on Pico then bypassed the first street after going under the 110 because I could see the cars backed up - then right at the next one and right on 11th street. We only had to wait about 5 minutes to get on the freeway from there but all of the other streets were completely jacked. I definitely got lucky. I also worked downtown for over 10 years and somewhat savvy about avoiding traffic jams. I was originally going to just drive down to the HOV lane on ramp at Flower but saw 11th street was open going west. Ok this is sounding like an episode of the californians so i'll stop there.

I don't typically go games that early either. I try to get there right before the puck drop but my friend had the card and I work at home 100% time for the past year now. Work/life is amazing now. Besides COVID this is the first time since 2000 that I haven't had an hour commute each way and it's a f***ing game changer for mental health.

Be waddling to the toilet the next day too. Don’t get me wrong I love Mexican food but damn my body can’t handle it like it used to.

My wife's Mexican so I have a tolerance I guess.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Heh. So many people seem to forget that in the wild “dinner” means some critter is getting eaten alive and “reproduction” isn’t exactly consensual most of the time.

Spoken like a true Connecticuter.

Or is it Connectitician?

What do they call you guys?

Reactions: King'sPawn

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
$20 for parking
$95 for 4 small beers

Holy f*** those prices for beer and kabobs? Definitely gonna eat before the game on the 28th. Any restaurant recommendations?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
$20 for parking
$95 for 4 small beers

I’m not a fan of going to games….’mostly just cause I don’t want to deal with idiots all around me.

I get wayyyyy more enjoyment watching games in the comfort of my own house listening to the silky smooth voice of Nick Nickson (thank you Jesus) and the beers are free.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Holy f*** those prices for beer and kabobs? Definitely gonna eat before the game on the 28th. Any restaurant recommendations?
Some people have suggested Grand Central Station. It's basically a bunch of different vendors in one area. All types of food.

Previous time I took the GF to a game we did:
The Broad (Art Gallery) -> Grand Central Station -> Game

I thought Grand Central Station was cool. You're bound to find something you like, but it's mostly mediocre IMO (I think that about most food places though). My only complaint was the music inside was too loud.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I’m not a fan of going to games….’mostly just cause I don’t want to deal with idiots all around me.

I get wayyyyy more enjoyment watching games in the comfort of my own house listening to the silky smooth voice of Nick Nickson (thank you Jesus) and the beers are free.
No offense, but I think this POV is kind of lame. People say the same thing about going to the movies.

Reactions: chris kontos

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
No offense, but I think this POV is kind of lame. People say the same thing about going to the movies.
Yah I prefer to stay away from that too.

But in all seriousness, having replay and play by play is important to me.

Oh, and btw, the movies have WAY less idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00