Proposal: Preds-Oilers-Penguins Mega Deal

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This...seems actually pretty fair?

If we get good, Norris caliber Subban, maybe. If we get this year’s version of Subban we’re getting Nashville’s fourth best defenceman who has a 9 million dollar cap hit with virtually every aspect of his game in decline and we’ve blown up our forwards to do so.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Lol theres no way in hell the Preds give up Saros, Subban? Maybe. Oddly enough hes still the poster boy for the franchise so not sure what his worth is, on his play alone it aint much.

Reactions: LukeLocomotive

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I like it.

I hate including Nuge but Saros is a stud and he's the piece that tips the deal for me.
I agree. I hate weakening our forward core, but we finally get our 1D, and we get a 1G on a cheap deal as well. Not sure is Simon would be much of a fit, and it takes away our centre depth, but I'd do it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There are Malkin fans on the Pens board who think talk of him as a winger moving forward are blasphemous. I am not one of those fans. His defensive game has stagnated while the defensive demands of a centerman get higher and higher.

So if we can get a good 2C and move Malkin to be an offensive dynamo winger in the Panarin/Kane mold (for either Sid or the good 2C), I am very down for this. It's why I wouldn't mind us making a Duchene play this summer, although the "Duchene curse" gives me some trepidation.

Therefore, I like this deal as a Pens fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
There are Malkin fans on the Pens board who think talk of him as a winger moving forward are blasphemous. I am not one of those fans. His defensive game has stagnated while the defensive demands of a centerman get higher and higher.

So if we can get a good 2C and move Malkin to be an offensive dynamo winger in the Panarin/Kane mold (for either Sid or the good 2C), I am very down for this.

Therefore, I like this deal as a Pens fan.
There's no way we trade Nuge.

But he's only 25 and on pace for 30 goals and 69 points playing mostly with horribad linemates. If he got the chance to have a Malkin level talent on his wing he'd be a ppg+ player imo.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There's no way we trade Nuge.

But he's only 25 and on pace for 30 goals and 69 points playing mostly with horribad linemates. If he got the chance to have a Malkin level talent on his wing he'd be a ppg+ player imo.

If we made this trade assuming we're moving Malkin to wing, potentially we could improve the Simon part of our trade to something better. I'd despise losing Jared McCann but he could be a great 2nd line piece for you. We'd just need a little bit more coming back to accommodate it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So the Penguins are trading Kessel, DeSmith and Simon for RNH? How is that at all a good deal for them? Just cut the Penguins out of this entirely, make it something around RNH and Larsson for Subban and Saros. The Penguins basically downgrade from Kessel to RNH and give up 2 decent depth players as the cost, it's a nonsensical deal for them.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So the Penguins are trading Kessel, DeSmith and Simon for RNH? How is that at all a good deal for them? Just cut the Penguins out of this entirely, make it something around RNH and Larsson for Subban and Saros. The Penguins basically downgrade from Kessel to RNH and give up 2 decent depth players as the cost, it's a nonsensical deal for them.

I know I'm like one of the most Anti-Kessel people around but I don't see how a 26 year old RNH isn't an upgrade on a 32 year old Kessel. They are scoring at just about the same pace 5-on-5 and RNH has poor linemates whereas Kessel has Malkin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know I'm like one of the most Anti-Kessel people around but I don't see how a 26 year old RNH isn't an upgrade on a 32 year old Kessel. They are scoring at just about the same pace 5-on-5 and RNH has poor linemates whereas Kessel has Malkin.

Because RNH is usually a 50-60 point player, and Kessel is usually an 70-80 point player. RNH plays regularly with McDavid, so you can't even bring up that claim.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Because RNH is usually a 50-60 point player, and Kessel is usually an 70-80 point player. RNH plays regularly with McDavid, so you can't even bring up that claim.

• The McDavid thing is true, somehow I thought that they just played Drai and McD together and RNH had the second line. But he has played 1/3rd of the time with McDavid this year. Kessel, however has played 2/3rds of his time with Malkin and does gets starts in the O-Zone whereas RNH is 50/50.
  • "Usually" ignores the aging curve. A 26-year old on the ascension versus a 32-year old on the decline.
  • Kessel is bad at the non-scoring elements of hockey. You know this as well as I do. So grading on the only dimension he does well on tells an incomplete picture.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
seems like alot for RNH, Kessel alone is an overpay and its not like the Pens need a center with the way Bjug is playing.

also it's not like RNH is really a shutdown C. So we just get a worse player for Kessel AND we lose a solid backup and depth scorer on top of that.

RNH as a C is a 45-55 point player. His stats are inflated from playing winger with McDavid over the past two years.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
seems like alot for RNH, Kessel alone is an overpay and its not like the Pens need a center with the way Bjug is playing.

also it's not like RNH is really a shutdown C. So we just get a worse player for Kessel AND we lose a solid backup and depth scorer on top of that.

RNH as a C is a 45-55 point player. His stats are inflated from playing winger with McDavid over the past two years.
Lol. Draisaitl is the one playing rw with Mcdavid. Nuge plays 2c with guys like Gambardella and Chiasson. He does play on the #1pp unit with Mcdavid but not at 5v5.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
  • The McDavid thing is true, somehow I thought that they just played Drai and McD together and RNH had the second line. But he has played 1/3rd of the time with McDavid this year. Kessel, however has played 2/3rds of his time with Malkin and does gets starts in the O-Zone whereas RNH is 50/50.
  • "Usually" ignores the aging curve. A 26-year old on the ascension versus a 32-year old on the decline.
  • Kessel is bad at the non-scoring elements of hockey. You know this as well as I do. So grading on the only dimension he does well on tells an incomplete picture.

To your two points, aging curve. Yes Kessel is on the down slope, but I don't think RNH is going to get better. I think he has plateaued or may have one more better season. He is a sub .5 PPG player over his career. Plus he has that busted shoulder.

Kessel isn't so much bad at the non-scoring element. Him and Malkin are having very off years in the defensive department. This is telling based on their combined -43. They are personally responsible for 12 of the 14 short handed goals against. Malkin just looks lazy with the puck and Kessel has had some bad bounces happen to him. RNH isn't much better than Kessel in the defensive department. He's a -12 on the season.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
To your two points, aging curve. Yes Kessel is on the down slope, but I don't think RNH is going to get better. I think he has plateaued or may have one more better season. He is a sub .5 PPG player over his career. Plus he has that busted shoulder.

Kessel isn't so much bad at the non-scoring element. Him and Malkin are having very off years in the defensive department. This is telling based on their combined -43. They are personally responsible for 12 of the 14 short handed goals against. Malkin just looks lazy with the puck and Kessel has had some bad bounces happen to him. RNH isn't much better than Kessel in the defensive department. He's a -12 on the season.

Rnh is no selke winner but he is compared to Kessel

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Yup that shoulder has really held him back in a 76 game, 64 point season. So far.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Its funny how many Pens fans are claiming what Nuge is and isnt.
Nuge has played far more minutes without Mcdavid then with Mcdavid 5v5. 638 vs 374. So 37% of his TOI is with Mcdavid 5v5, 63% without.
But now look at who he plays with min and points on the season
Chaisson 242 36
Poolparty 241 9
Lucic 186 18
Khaira 172 18
Kassian 170 25
Rattie 133 11
Caggula 118 11
Drai 104 99
Ganger 104 8

That is terrible. He gets too play top 6 minutes with a mix bag of bottom six players and AHLers
Oil have 2 great forwards and one very good forward. They cannot trade Nuge.

Kessel played 2/3 of his 5v5 season attached to Malkins hip

Reactions: ivanlwan and 780il

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Yup that shoulder has really held him back in a 76 game, 64 point season. So far.

One season a career does not make. This is the first season, of 8 seasons, hes cleared 60 points. His shoulder is holding up now, but the thing with shoulder injuries is once you get it fixed once, it's hard to make it work the next time. All it takes is one wrong hit and that is it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

And it's not even like there's some salary cap advantage to it either.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd say Subban's contact is the thing nightmares are made of, but that'd be too easy.

Adam Larsson paired with either one of Roman Josi or Mattias Ekholm is something I never want to see. That Nashville team is hard enough to play against as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad