GDT: Preds @ Flames 8:00 - Battle for the 5th pick and Hook starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Nope not all. All year Hutton gave up an abnormal amount of god-awful goals, far far more than Rinne does. To get back to the original point, that makes Hutton far more deserving of the criticism.

Which goalie gave up 4 goals on 18 shots tonight? Who has three consecutive games with a sv% below .850? Who is 2-5-0 for the month? Since when are expectations higher for a backup in his first NHL season than for a $7 million per year alleged starter?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Nope not all. All year Hutton gave up an abnormal amount of god-awful goals, far far more than Rinne does. To get back to the original point, that makes Hutton far more deserving of the criticism.

except Hutton isn't making $7 million for the next 6 seasons..

I keep telling myself that Rinne is effectively just coming out of training camp and playing like its the first couple of weeks of the season… because if what we have seen the last three weeks is the final product, post injury…. we are soooo screwed

Del Zotto getting 3 minutes of ice time is a joke..just about par for the course for Trotz.

we were playing 7 defensemen tonight.. Im willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that either MDZ had a minor injury/didnt feel well, or else Trotz was rewarding Bartley for being a good soldier sitting in the press box a lot of the year… this is pretty much "throw away" time now.. i don't see it as DZ being in the dog house

(or if you really must find something sinister maybe DP wants BT to keep DZ's numbers down these last few games to help with contract negotiations this summer)

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Which goalie gave up 4 goals on 18 shots tonight? Who has three consecutive games with a sv% below .850? Who is 2-5-0 for the month? Since when are expectations higher for a backup in his first NHL season than for a $7 million per year alleged starter?

Which goalie tonight has had two seasons of elite numbers, and three others of solid numbers? Which one has over 300 NHL games played while maintaining a .919 save percentage? Which one has been in the running for the Vezina? Which one has had his hip sliced on twice in a year? Which one has actually earned an NHL contract?

And which one was a career AHLer up until he was gifted an NHL contract?

Let's not go off the deep end because a guy who hasn't played since October hasn't looked so hot behind a pretty bad team in all of seven games. Bringing a small sample size to the table is a terrible idea when there is a much larger sample size to refute it.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Which goalie tonight has had two seasons of elite numbers, and three others of solid numbers? Which one has over 300 NHL games played while maintaining a .919 save percentage? Which one has been in the running for the Vezina? Which one has had his hip sliced on twice in a year? Which one has actually earned an NHL contract?

Let's not go off the deep end because a guy who hasn't played since October hasn't looked so hot behind a pretty bad team in all of seven games. Bringing a small sample size to the table is a terrible idea when there is a much larger sample size to refute it.

sadly, the previous sample size won't mean diddly squat if the injury has created permanent mobility issues for Rinne. If thats the case this could be the new reality, though I sure hope not.

As I said above, I give Rinne a pass the rest of this season… but Im extremely nervous about the future at this point.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Fair enough

Here's some crappy 90s rock for all of us to remind us all it's just entertainent

How bad is that guy's lisp? :laugh:

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD

Who's creating higher expectations? I'm just asking him to let in fewer absurdly bad goals, that 100%, should be stopped. I think that's fair to ask of any goalie.

I'm more willing to give Rinne the benefit of the doubt, because he's actually proven he can play at an elite level, for multiple seasons. For a guy getting what might be his only shot? Nope.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
You know what would be worse?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/643

At least our guy has a reason for having fallen off for a handful of games. That guy has had an entire season to not suck, and, well, he still has.

Tomorrow the sun will rise.

I like how the player who is on every page of Capgeek, behind the search bar, in front of some Crosby dude… is Weber, the ultimate cap geek stat line guy...

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think they just go by whomever happens to make the most money that year, but I like to think they go with whomever is the best ******* player in the league.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
My god you would think Hutton played well for us this year by the vehement amount of defense he is getting.

How about this:
Rinne the last three games has not been good.

Hutton the entire season - has not been good.

Hutton did have a 4 game stretch in January where he played outstanding hockey.

Aside from that stretch, Hutton has let in back breaking goals from odd angles, at the end of regulation/periods, right after we score, and generally has let in soft goals with extreme regularity.

He is not a starting NHL goaltender. He is an AHL starter who can fill in for a few games.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

It's eight games played .... goalie of record in seven (winning two) ... where he's let in at least one goal per game that would get Hutton slammed while the boards remain nearly silent. He's deservedly gotten the hook in his last two outings.

The fact the numbers you used depend on play from 2011-12 and earlier and not his play this month, season, or even post lockout is rather telling. Last season he was below his career average. This season he's further below those career numbers. HE HAS WORSE SV% AND GAA THAN HUTTON for this season. He allowed four or more in three consecutive games.

ETA --- How is it that Rinne gets the excuse of playing "behind a pretty bad team" while that in no way factors into Hutton?

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Who's creating higher expectations? I'm just asking him to let in fewer absurdly bad goals, that 100%, should be stopped. I think that's fair to ask of any goalie.

I'm more willing to give Rinne the benefit of the doubt, because he's actually proven he can play at an elite level, for multiple seasons. For a guy getting what might be his only shot? Nope.

If you're asking him to let in fewer bad goals ... he isn't giving you what you want lately. Over the glove ... between him and the pipe ... all the type goals Hutton gets slammed for, Rinne keeps allowing.

His last elite, or nearly so, season was 2011-12. Since his return, his numbers are dramatically off his career averages and even worse comparatively when looked at alongside his Vezina finalist season to the tune of .889 vs .929 sv% (4/10 of a percentage point). If compared to his career average his recent play is only 3/10 of a percent below the average.

There is no doubt for him to get the benefit of ... his play is off.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
101, you do realize that Hutton has a .905 vs Rinne .904 save percentage and GAA of 2.74 vs 2.75.

Your manipulation of statistics is comical.

Trotz using Rinne as a bell cow after essentially missing the entire year was poorly thought out. He plays a great game on the 14th, then gets beat up on the 15th. Comes right back out on the 18th and gets killed. Then again on the 21st - a poor performance.
No R&R after some pretty significant illnesses and injuries is foolhardy.

Yeah - I agree, he has let in some pretty bad goals the past three games.

That said, Hutton has been a horrendous goaltender all year long. If you really believe that Hutton is a better goaltender than Rinne, keep at it. If you are trying to prove that Rinne has been as bad as Hutton the past three games, I think we all agree.

Last edited:

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
I suppose Poile should package Rinne with a draft pick and get someone who has good numbers the last 2 years. Maybe just keep Hutton since his numbers are better the Pekka's.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Guess we need to trade Rinne. I bet we could get Big Ern and a 3rd from Calgary for him. We all know Hutton is a solid NHL starter now it has been declared so Pekka is expendable.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
You guys are getting silly.

Anyone who isnt worried about Rinne right now is delusional

and I hated on Hutton as much as anybody this year but with a decent sample size now available his numbers say hes a servicable NHL backup

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I'm not worried about Rinne for a multitude of reasons

1. He's still shaking off the rust. He's coming off months of injury and after a brief conditioning stint and a handful of AHL games is back to an NHL schedule. He's already shown flashes of brilliance where he's been clearly on his game since he's come back. It'll most likely take him some time to get settled back into the regularity of it and shake off all the rust.

2. The team in front of him is really not that good defensively. Yes, Weber and Josi are great, but despite how many grinders and two way forwards we have many nights they just go out there and lay an egg as badly as hutton or dubnyk have this season. Our 2nd and 3rd pairings are both young and prone to making mistakes off of mental lapses and have been leaving our goalies out to dry on a semi-regular basis all season. Rinne can only stop so many of those.

Sure with any long term injury there is reason to worry, but we should really be worried if we're 3 weeks into next season and Rinne is really looking mortal then. Give him a full training camp and pre-season and summer workouts and all that and I think we'll see the Rinne we all know and love. However on an uninspired team that has frequent defensive lapses or just isn't really trying on the ice some nights and coming off a major injury of course he's going to struggle some. Calm down and give it time.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'm not worried about Rinne for a multitude of reasons

1. He's still shaking off the rust. He's coming off months of injury and after a brief conditioning stint and a handful of AHL games is back to an NHL schedule. He's already shown flashes of brilliance where he's been clearly on his game since he's come back. It'll most likely take him some time to get settled back into the regularity of it and shake off all the rust.

2. The team in front of him is really not that good defensively. Yes, Weber and Josi are great, but despite how many grinders and two way forwards we have many nights they just go out there and lay an egg as badly as hutton or dubnyk have this season. Our 2nd and 3rd pairings are both young and prone to making mistakes off of mental lapses and have been leaving our goalies out to dry on a semi-regular basis all season. Rinne can only stop so many of those.

Sure with any long term injury there is reason to worry, but we should really be worried if we're 3 weeks into next season and Rinne is really looking mortal then. Give him a full training camp and pre-season and summer workouts and all that and I think we'll see the Rinne we all know and love. However on an uninspired team that has frequent defensive lapses or just isn't really trying on the ice some nights and coming off a major injury of course he's going to struggle some. Calm down and give it time.

The reasons you state above are why I am only worried, not panicked. Im worried that the infection left Rinne with some lasting pain and/or mobility issues. It will worry me all summer until I see him in the fall and he's the old Rinne...

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
That's fair then, I see it as Rinne still working off the rust and playing behind a genuinely bad team, but I can understand the concern. All I can say to that is worrying about something you can't control does you no good.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Again, our defensemen are as good as any in the league. Our forward support is the worst in the league. We have no transition game unless the defensemen carry the puck end to end, we have no puck possession game, and generally no offense. We count on 2 guys to carry the load 5 guys should be.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
The reasons you state above are why I am only worried, not panicked. Im worried that the infection left Rinne with some lasting pain and/or mobility issues. It will worry me all summer until I see him in the fall and he's the old Rinne...

Think he was serviceable tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad