Post-Game Talk: Preds 1 Oilers 0

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well they need to learn to play together. I don't care if they stink it up for first game or two together, tough **** Nuge learn to play with someone else, even if Yakupov plays a weird style. Figure it out.

Then let's anchor Hall with Gordon and Perron and expect 1ppg out of him too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then let's anchor Hall with Gordon and Perron and expect 1ppg out of him too.

Hall and Eberle play well with whoever is in the middle so let them work together. Put RNH and Yakupov.

I don't expect a ppg out of any guy on this team.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Well they need to learn to play together. I don't care if they stink it up for first game or two together, tough **** Nuge learn to play with someone else, even if Yakupov plays a weird style. Figure it out.
That sounds like a winning formula (and I'm well aware the current version isn't either), like forcing the square peg into the round hole. The Oilers have to build off this game, they weren't outplayed tonight and actually deserved a better fate. Not often you could say that this year.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
4th or 5th game in a row I haven't bothered to watch. Sympathies to those of you who continue to suffer. GCL makes things easier on most nights tbh

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Hall and Eberle play well with whoever is in the middle so let them work together. Put RNH and Yakupov.

Arco actually played well with Hall and Eberle. I don't see the chemistry when Perron and Yak play with him as a line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Those 2 will bleed GA, so saddle Gordon with them then.

Hall-Gordon-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Draisaitl-Joensuu
Gazdic-Arcobello-Hendricks

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Why shake it up coming off a better effort. After the Chicago game absolutely, not now.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Why is it that Eberle and Yakupov don't play well together, why is it Nuge and Yakupov don't play well together, why is it Hall and Yakupov don't play well together?

Maybe its Yakupov thats needs to learn how to play with other players? I love Yakupov's personality, he seems to be trying hard etc, he just never has learned a team game.

Is there a reason Russia left 1st overall pick Yakupov off the national team and took Nichushkin who was younger?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Arco actually played well with Hall and Eberle. I don't see the chemistry when Perron and Yak play with him as a line.

Then they can figure it out.

The season is over anyway. Force them to play in some different situations, enough with the comfort zone stuff.

RNH doesn't play well when Hall is on the line.

RNH doesn't play well with Yakupov.

For a "playmaking" center he sure comes with a lot of caveats.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Those 2 will bleed GA, so saddle Gordon with them then.

Hall-Gordon-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Draisaitl-Joensuu
Gazdic-Arcobello-Hendricks
Oh yuck dude, seriously. I love Gordon's play this year but the guy has stone hands. I do like the 2nd line though. Arco or LD would be better with Hall and Ebs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
With that in mind:

Hall-Arcobello-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Draisaitl-Joensuu
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks

Gotta love how instead of finding which lines would do best together during the last few games of preseason, Eakins played plugs like Acton. Le sigh!

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Gotta love how instead of finding which lines would do best together during the last few games of preseason, Eakins played plugs like Acton. Le sigh!

How about 20+ games into the season we still don't have set lines and d pairings.

Don't forget we played a guy all preseason and signed him when he couldn't be signed.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils fan here , recently started watching Oilers games last couple of weeks because , well, Devils hockey ATM is too frustrating to watch (old , slow , team with a very bleak future regarding forwards in the system).
I wanted to start watching a fast young team and see how Fayne is doing.

Some things I have noticed so far regarding the Oliers, this is just my opinion as a hockey fan that is not really familiar with the Oilers:

Nikitin is a turn over machine , yet seems like he is on the ice all the time.

Schultz shows flashes of being higly skilled but some of his decisions with and without the pick are very questionable to put it mildly .

Very impressed with Marincin (spelling?)
Klefbom looked very good vs. Preds IMO. Not sure why he was stapled to the bench for most of the 3rd and OT.

Draisaitl had solid game vs Preds, looks like his confidence and game has been improving as season goes on.

Your best Dmen from what i have seen is Fayne Ference Marincin Klefbom

Hall , while very skilled and would kill to have him on my team , looks like he does not utilize his team mates at all. Just skates around 100mph and tries to do it all himself.

Ederle , same as Hall about the skill part but looks like he only gives 100% effort if he sniffs a scoring chance in the offensive zone, rest of the time he is going through the motions. Was hoping he was more aggressive on the forecheck.

Purcell , never really notice him.

Yakapov , looks like a very fast 4th liner with a laser shot (that never hits the net)
Was hoping to see him undress people with his speed and stick handling , but have not really seen anything that makes me say "holy crap , that's why he was picked 1st overall.

RNH , silky smooth skater with speed to burn and very good hands and passing ability , but have not seen him take over a game or be completely dominant ala Getzlaf , , Seguin ,Kopitar, other 1st line Centers.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
yes, Eberle got lots of chances tonight, and didn't come close to burying any of them.

He sure hasn't been backing up all the posters on here that say he has the "best shot on the team". Seriously, he hasn't been the same one-shot scorer since his 34 goal sophomore season.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Devils fan here , recently started watching Oilers games last couple of weeks because , well, Devils hockey ATM is too frustrating to watch (old , slow , team with a very bleak future regarding forwards in the system).

Some things I have noticed so far regarding the Oliers, this is just my opinion as a hockey fan that is not really familiar with the Oilers:

Schultz shows flashes of being higly skilled but some of his decisions with and without the pick are very questionable to put it mildly .

Klefbom looked very good vs. Preds IMO. Not sure why he was stapled to the bench for most of the 3rd and OT.

Draisaitl had solid game vs Preds, looks like his confidence and game has been improving as season goes on.

Hall , while very skilled and would kill to have him on my team , looks like he does not utilize his team mates at all. Just skates around 100mph and tries to do it all himself.

Ederle , same as Hall about the skill part but looks like he only gives 100% effort if he sniffs a scoring chance in the offensive zone, rest of the time he is going through the motions. Was hoping he was more aggressive on the forecheck.

Yakapov , looks like a very fast 4th liner with a laser shot (that never hits the net)
Was hoping to see him undress people with his speed and stick handling , but have not really seen anything that makes me say "holy crap , that's why he was picked 1st overall.

RNH , silky smooth skater with speed to burn and very good hands and passing ability , but have not seen him take over a game or be completely dominant ala Getzlaf , Perry , Seguin ,Kopitar, other 1st line Centers.
Good analysis, I can't really disagree with anything.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

RNH , silky smooth skater with speed to burn and very good hands and passing ability , but have not seen him take over a game or be completely dominant ala Getzlaf , , Seguin ,Kopitar, other 1st line Centers.

Pretty much right on with the sentiments of most of the posters in here I figure. The one thing I'll say though, is that if you're frustrated with watching the NJD play, you'll be 10x more frustrated watching the Oilers.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Great analysis. Since I have been bashing ebs all night I shall bold the part about ebs and say I agree 100%

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The goal is a beauty screen by Petry and a really quick release from Forsberg. Harsh to hang that on the goalie, it's just awful defense on that whole sequence with 4 Oilers standing around and making weak poke check attempts for 30 seconds. Just terrible.
Actually it was worse than that. They kept backing further and further down toward their own goal with each successive post that the Preds hit.
The Predators had so much room to move around out there it was unbelievable. At no moment did any Oiler player look like challenging to take the puck away or regain possession. I think that's what Fasth is angry about more than the individual mistakes by Nikitin and Hall.

Nobody panics like the Oilers. And if you press them when they panic they will surely give up a glorious chance like the one Forsberg polished off. Every NHL team knows this by now I'm sure.

For me Draisaitl was a real positive tonight. Look, if it was up to me I would have sent him back to Junior, but fine, the Oiler big brains have decided to stick with their sink or swim approach to talent development. So since he's going to be up in the NHL anyway, and since the team is sucking donkey balls, why not throw the kid a bone and let him play with some real talent. I was mighty impressed by the few shifts he had with Hall. How about trying Draisaitl on the top line?

Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Perron-RNH-Yakupov

I think that might at least create some more scoring. What do you guys think?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
How about 20+ games into the season we still don't have set lines and d pairings.

Don't forget we played a guy all preseason and signed him when he couldn't be signed.

Its been a mess all around. At least under Krueger, we improved in the standings. Eakins? Another year, many baffling moves and decisions, players regress, and system is just downright terrible. Obviously some people think firing him won't help us, but if there's a coach that can't even get the best out of his roster, then there's a huge problem. Guy comes in first press and talks about how high of a compete level there will be, and we've seen otherwise. Eakins is just terrible.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Pretty fair and valid analysis. But you wouldn't get much more headaches watching the devils, than you would for the oilers. You would shake your head at what Eakins coaching has done so far. Took this long for him to finally scratch out Schultz. What a joke of a coach.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Dude, stop talking about where players went. That doesn't mean anything now, they are good or they are not.
Ridiculous. Of course it matters. Particularly when we are talking about being the first overall selection.
If we aren't supposed to talk about what number players were drafted at then we may as well not talk about any past drafts at all.
Yay :pcheer: we can just pretend that the Oilers have good drafting.

I have a feeling that MacT gave him orders to do that in order to justify the contract and of course, aid the Sucking D for McD mission.
I don't dispute that there is a SD for McD mission going on here. As sad as that is to realize at this point in their great "rebuild".
I don't think for a second that that call gets made at the GM level. If that call was made, and you and I agree that it was, it was made by ownership.

We were sold this whole line of tanking for these players and now it turns out 2 of the 3 of them aren't even all that great. .
Only people dumb enough to swallow that fairy tale feel disappointed.
Others realized right away that losing for welfare picks and letting a schmuck like Tamby run the show for five seasons was setting the team up for a decade of failure.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Its been a mess all around. At least under Krueger, we improved in the standings. Eakins? Another year, many baffling moves and decisions, players regress, and system is just downright terrible. Obviously some people think firing him won't help us, but if there's a coach that can't even get the best out of his roster, then there's a huge problem. Guy comes in first press and talks about how high of a compete level there will be, and we've seen otherwise. Eakins is just terrible.

"Well hey" (in my Eakins voice) at least the press can't have donuts.

All the people bashing players just don't consider how the WHOLE team has regressed under Eakins, its baffling.

How can your goals against go up, goals for go down, and have more losses than previous years. Thats impossible, unless Dallas Eakins is your coach.

The only reason he is sitting Schultz is because of the fans and press, same with his swarm and many other decisions. I don't know if he is being told what to do and what not to do by MacT and Lowe (as Renney stated) but its a huge mess that can only be remedied by getting rid of the whole management and Eakins.

I ask fellow fans, do you see light at the end of the tunnel with Lowe/MacT/Eakins?

We drafted 1rst overall, 1rst overall, 2nd overall, 7th overall, > MacT and Eakins show up, 3rd overall, now 1-3 overall. Thats almost impossible under the worst of circumstances.

Start with getting a goalie, it would change a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad