Speculation: Prediction thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Lazar can be an effective checking forward, I just don't think that he is has much offensive upside and IMO still wasn't worth the cost to acquire him. But hopefully he proves me wrong.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Lazar can be an effective checking forward, I just don't think that he is has much offensive upside and IMO still wasn't worth the cost to acquire him. But hopefully he proves me wrong.

I see a more productive, but less tenacious Ferland. 30ish point forward.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I see a more productive, but less tenacious Ferland. 30ish point forward.

More or less how I see it. I think Lazar and Ferland will be pretty comparable. Ferland has the edge in physical gifts(shot, speed + toughness), heart is about even, but I think Lazar has an edge in leadership abilities, hockey IQ and all around play. There's 3 years between them, Lazar out preformed him as a 19/20 year old and that says something, even with Ferland's late start/demons.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I will do that? How do you guys think that Ferland compares to James Neal, both w=big winger, can Ferland ever the offence that Neal has?

PPG Neal? Absolutely not. 50pt, supplementary offense Neal? Absolutely, if he continues to be used in the top six.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I will do that? How do you guys think that Ferland compares to James Neal, both w=big winger, can Ferland ever the offence that Neal has?

James Neal is an oddity of nature that will not likely be repeated.

Ferland might get close to 30 goals, if he plays at a consistently elevated level for an entire season (not a few weeks here and there) and stays on the top line. Saw glimmers of it last season only to have him disappear for a while.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm the president of Club Ferland

Turns out there's really only two groups of people on this board:

Club Ferland (people who go ape **** when people disparage Ferland)
Club Anti-Ferland (People who go ape **** when people make a hopeful or positive remark about Ferland)

We're not allowed to be reasonable on this board :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

PpuJHmj.gif

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Neal? No. Think Maroon and you'll be a lot closer. Might hit 40 a couple times, in an ideal situation(1st line/PP time), but far more likely to be a 25-30 point guy, when playing in a position, relative to his skill set.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Neal? No. Think Maroon and you'll be a lot closer. Might hit 40 a couple times, in an ideal situation(1st line/PP time), but far more likely to be a 25-30 point guy, when playing in a position, relative to his skill set.

Maroon? What?

Ferland could skate laps around Maroon and then some. Maroon might be the slowest player in the NHL. The only thing he's good at is garbage goals.

Ferland is alrady a better all-around player than Maroon.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Maroon? What?

Ferland could skate laps around Maroon and then some. Maroon might be the slowest player in the NHL. The only thing he's good at is garbage goals.

Ferland is alrady a better all-around player than Maroon.

Any idea when is he going to consistently produce with his vast skills?

I am not a fan of Maroon but it's funny to speak like Ferland is so much superior

Aug 3, 2010
Sometimes I wish I could live in OKG's head, where the Flames have already won 10 Cups.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Any idea when is he going to consistently produce with his vast skills?

I am not a fan of Maroon but it's funny to speak like Ferland is so much superior

I'll bet you one thing, the Flames aren't going ever to retaom a portion of Ferland's salary so that another team in the same division can play him. That's how little the Ducks valued Maroon even after Getzlaf-Perry basically got him a contract.

It's nice that he's found a fit as the third wheel to McDavid and Draisaitl, but he doesn't make McDavid/Draisaitl better the way Ferland makes Gaudreau-Monahan better. He just scores garbage goals.

As for when Ferland will consistently produce, when Ferland gets consistent minutes in the top six. I'd love to see Maroon "produce" with Stajan and Chiasson.

Sometimes I wish I could live in OKG's head, where the Flames have already won 10 Cups.

Because being factual about individual skaters on our roster means I think we've already won 10 cups. Okay. Where are you when I tear down the likes of Mike Smith or Sean Monahan to what they actually are? Or when I point out how not-high I am on Dougie Hamilton's playstyle?

Maroon's a scrub who is good at garbage goals and nothing else. It dosn't take much for a guy like Ferland to be better.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ferland seriously reminds me a good bit of Bertuzzi. He will never be peak Bert good, but I don't see why he can't get to 40-50pts over 2-4 years. He can skate, shoot, has good hands and muck it up. I see him as being a more consistent and impactful Rene Bourque with more skills.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

He's already better than Maroon, and he already produces at the rate you're suggesting is his ceiling.

Ferland hasn't broken out yet or at least hasn't yet shown the consistency of a player who's done developing - at times he seems disengaged or overthinks the play in order to try to land a hit or create a turnover, at other times instinct and hockey IQ kick in and he gets to use his speed, strength and shot. But if the kid plays his game to its fullest even three quarters of the year and gets good linemates (Monahan line or Backlund line) I think he's going to be a real threat any time he's on the ice.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'll bet you one thing, the Flames aren't going ever to retaom a portion of Ferland's salary so that another team in the same division can play him. That's how little the Ducks valued Maroon even after Getzlaf-Perry basically got him a contract.

It's nice that he's found a fit as the third wheel to McDavid and Draisaitl, but he doesn't make McDavid/Draisaitl better the way Ferland makes Gaudreau-Monahan better. He just scores garbage goals.

As for when Ferland will consistently produce, when Ferland gets consistent minutes in the top six. I'd love to see Maroon "produce" with Stajan and Chiasson.

Because being factual about individual skaters on our roster means I think we've already won 10 cups. Okay. Where are you when I tear down the likes of Mike Smith or Sean Monahan to what they actually are? Or when I point out how not-high I am on Dougie Hamilton's playstyle?

Maroon's a scrub who is good at garbage goals and nothing else. It dosn't take much for a guy like Ferland to be better.

Just stop it! Ferland is playing with Gaudreau for exactly the same reason Maroon is with McDavid. He is every bit as much a passenger!

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Ferland seriously reminds me a good bit of Bertuzzi. He will never be peak Bert good, but I don't see why he can't get to 40-50pts over 2-4 years. He can skate, shoot, has good hands and muck it up. I see him as being a more consistent and impactful Rene Bourque with more skills.

Let's trade for the Sedins :sarcasm:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is gonna sound very cliche, but the problem with Ferland is when he tries to do too much (i.e. stickhandling his way into and out of trouble). He'll take off if/when he keeps his game simplified. I like Ferland on the first line as things stand. He's got a nose for the net like Monahan but also complements and can play off of Gaudreau quite well

Aug 3, 2010

It doesn't take much effort to use other's work and observations in the form of charts and statistics and call them facts. I mean, we all do that to an extent. But data is just data until someone decides to tell the story, and you simply don't tell a tale worth listening to.

If you must know, I judge far more on the content of the poster's opinions behind the facts and the twisting of them. Prior individual statements such as "every team has homers; I must be an even bigger one to counter the others" (or to that effect - forgive me that I refuse to dig through your post history for the exact quotation) makes me believe your interpretations of objective statistics and other observations must be taken with a large lump of unadulterated rock salt due to your tendency to extrapolate to the extremes. There's just almost never a reasonable middle ground with posters like yourself which is why I generally refuse to engage, Flames fan or otherwise.

It's not like I think you're a bad fan or poster, I don't care about that really. I just don't take anything you say seriously. Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad