Speculation: Prediction thread

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
- Ferland will have one long hot streak, won't show up on the scoring sheet otherwise. When that happens, he'll play with Backlund.
- Brouwer's won't score more points than last year, but his TOI/gm will drop.
- Bennett ~0.55 PPG. He'll play with Tkachuk and Versteeg at some point.
- Gaudreau leads scoring w/ 67 points. Monahan scores 55 points or so.
- Whenever Lazar gets in the lineup, he plays centre. When he does so, Stajan will be out of it one way or another.
- Flames sweeps the Ducks
- Lack .914 in 31 games, Smith .916 in 47 games
- Frolik scores 50 points

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving doesn't make any more moves until TDL.

EDIT: Re-signings don't count.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agree to an extent, I think though if we make a move its like Stone, where Treliving gets it done early compared to the deadline itself.

I'm really leaning towards the idea that we won't make at move at all at the TDL. But knowing Tre, he'd find some ridiculous crazy minor deals worth pursuing along the lines of the Sieloff/Kanzig or Knight/Shore or FHamilton for conditional 7th deals. We might wrinkle our nose, but it's still zero value assets for nickels who can contribute NHL games or plug holes in the AHL roster.

I really want to say Treliving spends time admiring his roster, but is he the type to do so? Let's review in 6 months!

EDIT: I'm thinking I'm going to be wrong. He probably makes a waiver pick up or two. I think some GMs are going to do something stupid and Tre will capitalize.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm really leaning towards the idea that we won't make at move at all at the TDL. But knowing Tre, he'd find some ridiculous crazy minor deals worth pursuing along the lines of the Sieloff/Kanzig or Knight/Shore or FHamilton for conditional 7th deals. We might wrinkle our nose, but it's still zero value assets for nickels who can contribute NHL games or plug holes in the AHL roster.

I really want to say Treliving spends time admiring his roster, but is he the type to do so? Let's review in 6 months!

EDIT: I'm thinking I'm going to be wrong. He probably makes a waiver pick up or two. I think some GMs are going to do something stupid and Tre will capitalize.
I think the most we see between now and say January is either a waiver claim or a relatively small UFA signing. When the deadline rolls around, I don't see much happening since we have no 1st or 2nd in 2018

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Flames finish 3rd in the division.
Monahan gets 70 points.
Bennett winds up just shy of 50 points.
Jankowski gets less than 15 games.
Brouwer winds up with just shy of 20 goals, near 40 points.
Backlunds production drops back to about 35 points.
Bartkowksi plays more than 45 games.
Klimchuk gets a brief stint. Does very well, but sent back down.
Poirier gets a brief stint. Does reasonably well.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Monahan hits 40 goals. Tkachuk pots 30 goals. Brodie has another subpar season.

Predicted opening night roster: Lazar, Lack, and Valimaki have unreal preseason/camps, force managements hand.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer
F.Hamilton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

Lack
Smith

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Monahan hits 40 goals. Tkachuk pots 30 goals. Brodie has another subpar season.

Predicted opening night roster: Lazar, Lack, and Valimaki have unreal preseason/camps, force managements hand.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer
F.Hamilton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

Lack
Smith

Tkachuk isn't a goalscorer I'd be surprised if he hits 30 goals even once in his career. And I doubt Monahan scores 40 goals. If he does I wouldn't mind it though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's a lot more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, but I don't doubt he has the offensive instincts to pot 30 at some point in his career.

Totally agree, but I think it more or less comes down to that he sees the ice so well so he usually makes the smart play instead of forcing things. I think as he gets older, you will continually see his goal totals rise. The GWG goal he had in the Memorial Cup is a perfect example what kind of shot this kid has.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Tkachuk isn't a goalscorer I'd be surprised if he hits 30 goals even once in his career. And I doubt Monahan scores 40 goals. If he does I wouldn't mind it though.

Tkachuk had 50 goals in 78 games (Reg seasons and Playoffs) for the knights, and scored at a .5 goal per game pace in the USHL... so as another poster below said he was just in a better position to be a passer this year- I think you vastly underestimate his goal scoring ability and how smart he is.

As for Monahan- he had a 31 goal season when he was 20. He's only 22, and judging by the last half of the season last year, 40 is definitely within striking range.

I don't think either is far fetched.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Tkachuk had 50 goals in 78 games (Reg seasons and Playoffs) for the knights, and scored at a .5 goal per game pace in the USHL... so as another poster below said he was just in a better position to be a passer this year- I think you vastly underestimate his goal scoring ability and how smart he is.

As for Monahan- he had a 31 goal season when he was 20. He's only 22, and judging by the last half of the season last year, 40 is definitely within striking range.

I don't think either is far fetched.

Maybe but nonetheless if he pots 30 goals and can put up around 30-40 assists that'd be sweet.

Anyways my bold prediction.

Bennett puts up 60 points.
Flames make it to the third round of the playoffs.
Lazar becomes the regular top line RW and scores 40 points.
Hamilton hits close to 60 points.

Edit: I do think Monahan could hit 40 goals in his career but I don't think he does next year. Unless he's more consistent in the beginning of the season and continues his insane second half of the season.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Brouwer's shot gets better but his skating continues to regress, and he spends the season on the fourth line
Bartkowski sucks immensely but still makes the team and gets way too many games
Flames win their first 2 games, including the one @ Honda Center
Backlund has a slight regress from last year
Hamilton finishes second in Norris votes to Erik Karlsson
Gaudreau scores at a really good pace but then gets injured and misses 15-20 games
One of Smith/Lack fails hard and as a result one of Rittich/Gillies/Parsons gets a call-up and meets with major success
Flames finish above .500 in October

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Brouwer's shot gets better but his skating continues to regress, and he spends the season on the fourth line
Bartkowski sucks immensely but still makes the team and gets way too many games
Flames win their first 2 games, including the one @ Honda Center
Backlund has a slight regress from last year
Hamilton finishes second in Norris votes to Erik Karlsson
Gaudreau scores at a really good pace but then gets injured and misses 15-20 games
One of Smith/Lack fails hard and as a result one of Rittich/Gillies/Parsons gets a call-up and meets with major success
Flames finish above .500 in October

I'll take it

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT made an all in career ending type of move in the summer.

The Flames need to be in sync from the start.

Gio, Brodie, Gaudreau, Monahan all need to be better than they were at the start of last year.
Bennett needs to take a step up.
Backlund needs to maintain his pace.
Hamilton needs to continue to improve
Smith needs to prove he is a solid #1

If most of these dont happen, expect BT to file for unemployment benefit down at the manpower office.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
BT made an all in career ending type of move in the summer.

The Flames need to be in sync from the start.

Gio, Brodie, Gaudreau, Monahan all need to be better than they were at the start of last year.
Bennett needs to take a step up.
Backlund needs to maintain his pace.
Hamilton needs to continue to improve
Smith needs to prove he is a solid #1

If most of these dont happen, expect BT to file for unemployment benefit down at the manpower office.

Are you predicting that he'll make a career altering move? Because trading some junk picks for Hamonic when our system is this stocked is really anything but that. It's not like hamonic is a 30 year old player either, dude has lots left in the tank. It's a trade we have to make 10/10 times.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Instead of another mediocre start, we start the season 8-2.
We match our 10 game win streak from last year again this season.
Our Goals against are top 10 in the league.
Backlund finally wins his Selke.
Top 3 in our division.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Are you predicting that he'll make a career altering move? Because trading some junk picks for Hamonic when our system is this stocked is really anything but that. It's not like hamonic is a 30 year old player either, dude has lots left in the tank. It's a trade we have to make 10/10 times.

I think he's saying either Hamonic or Smith tanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad