Predicting the Round 1 Playoff Schedule

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Given that we are six points back of Boston, I think it’s pretty certain we’re playing Boston round 1 without home ice.

Im most likely going to be attending the first few games (if not all of them) so here’s what I think the potential schedule is:

Game 1: Thurs April 11 at TD Garden (there’s a Muse concert April 10 so I think we’re locked in here)
Game 2: Sat April 13 at TD
Game 3: Mon April 15 at SBA
Game 4: Wed April 17 at SBA (last year they gave us game 4 on the Thursday but I think they’ll give the extra day between game 4 and 5 for the travel days, but could be wrong)
Game 5: Sat April 20 at TD (they could do this game on Friday but I think HNIC will ask for the Saturday game. Of course by doing it on Friday they could do game 6 on Sunday to avoid issues with the Monday Cher concert...)
Game 6: Tue April 23 at SBA (there’s a Cher concert on Monday April 22 at SBA)
Game 7: Thu April 25 at TD

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Given that we are six points back of Boston, I think it’s pretty certain we’re playing Boston round 1 without home ice.

Im most likely going to be attending the first few games (if not all of them) so here’s what I think the potential schedule is:

Game 1: Thurs April 11 at TD Garden (there’s a Muse concert April 10 so I think we’re locked in here)
Game 4: Wed April 17 at SBA (last year they gave us game 4 on the Thursday but I think they’ll give the extra day between game 4 and 5 for the travel days, but could be wrong)
Game 5: Sat April 20 at TD (they could do this game on Friday but I think HNIC will ask for the Saturday game. Of course by doing it on Friday they could do game 6 on Sunday to avoid issues with the Monday Cher concert...)

I think you are close - NBC is going to be doing games on the 13th and 20th in primetime on the main network and I expect they will do what they did last year and take Boston/Toronto. A key to this is NBC now owns their station in Boston and would retain all the local ad sales as well.

The way the US TV contract works, in the first round NBC shows every game on its cable-only channels (NBCSN, CNBC, USA and GOLF) but local broadcasters like NESN can also show first-round games EXCEPT when the games are shown on NBC itself.

But nothing is set in stone until Boston clinches the #2 seed and there are still 9 games left.

Just think back to last year when for almost 3 months it seemed certain Boston and Toronto would meet but with a week to go the Bruins moved ahead of Tampa and then faltered the last week and Tampa got the #1 seed on the last day.

upload_2019-3-20_1-58-13.png

Honestly, I think the hockey gods have something special planned for Bob Cole's final broadcast.

upload_2019-3-20_2-9-57.png

I can easily see a scenario that the Leafs need 2 points to get home ice and the Habs need 2 points to edge out Columbus to make the playoffs.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Mkdaman1818

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
No point even scheduling games 5, 6, and 7 the way we're playing.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think you are close - NBC is going to be doing games on the 13th and 20th in primetime on the main network and I expect they will do what they did last year and take Boston/Toronto. A key to this is NBC now owns their station in Boston and would retain all the local ad sales as well.

The way the US TV contract works, in the first round NBC shows every game on its cable-only channels (NBCSN, CNBC, USA and GOLF) but local broadcasters like NESN can also show first-round games EXCEPT when the games are shown on NBC itself.

But nothing is set in stone until Boston clinches the #2 seed and there are still 9 games left.

Just think back to last year when for almost 3 months it seemed certain Boston and Toronto would meet but with a week to go the Bruins moved ahead of Tampa and then faltered the last week and Tampa got the #1 seed on the last day.

View attachment 202191

Honestly, I think the hockey gods have something special planned for Bob Cole's final broadcast.

View attachment 202193

I can easily see a scenario that the Leafs need 2 points to get home ice and the Habs need 2 points to edge out Columbus to make the playoffs.

:popcorn:
Haha it’s a nice thought but I don’t think the leafs will make up six points with 9 to play. If anything I think we’ll concede and rest Freddy to get him some energy for the playoffs.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Haha it’s a nice thought but I don’t think the leafs will make up six points with 9 to play. If anything I think we’ll concede and rest Freddy to get him some energy for the playoffs.

Yeah, pretty much a done deal.

Even going 9-0 only gives Toronto a 71% chance of finishing 2nd.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
OK...here is MY prediction: Leafs win Game 1 in Boston, 4-3......Bruin's win Game 2, 3-2; Leafs win both games in Toronto 5-2 and 5-3; Bruins face elimination in Boston but win 3-2....Leafs wrap up the series with a 4-1 victory in Game 6 in Toronto!
Best part about this prediction? Our Leafs never lose to Boston after being up 4-1. Good job. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Don't forget that the Raptors and Celtics exist too, so that will impact the schedule too.
Yup but the way it’s looking, the Celtics will be the road team in their series, and the raptors the home team in their series. which would be the reverse of the bruins and leafs. So arena availability should be pretty open if that remains the case.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Based on the last six years of Raps playoffs, their home games will be the 13/14th, 16th, 24th and 28th. So no conflicts with OP.

Schedule seems right, unless there's a Caps/Pens R1 that steals the Saturday night primetime games, in which case Leafs/Bruins probably gets both Sunday NBC games.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I understand not being overly confident, but I don’t know what good this talk of being swept does for anyone :rolleyes:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Gotta love that "Toronto" is buried in the corporate sponsor acronym for the Bruins' stadium.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yup but the way it’s looking, the Celtics will be the road team in their series, and the raptors the home team in their series. which would be the reverse of the bruins and leafs. So arena availability should be pretty open if that remains the case.

raptors games 1 and 2 are 100% going to be the 13th and either 15th/16th.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
raptors games 1 and 2 are 100% going to be the 13th and either 15th/16th.
Correct. They’ll most likely be the 13th at 12:30 pm, and probably the 16th at 7 or 8 pm, if the leafs play on the 15th. Vice Versa if they decide to have the leafs play on the 16th.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Correct. They’ll most likely be the 13th at 12:30 pm, and probably the 16th at 7 or 8 pm, if the leafs play on the 15th. Vice Versa if they decide to have the leafs play on the 16th.

I doubt the Raps play at 1230. They have been given a lot of national spotlight in the USA this season. Lots of primetime national games on TNT and ESPN. 530pm at the earliest

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I doubt the Raps play at 1230. They have been given a lot of national spotlight in the USA this season. Lots of primetime national games on TNT and ESPN. 530pm at the earliest
Those games on TNT and ESPN have usually been against quality opponents or big TV draws like Boston, Philly, OKC etc. Toronto will probably face Brooklyn, Detroit or Miami in round 1, so it will be a low rating game 1. 12:30 is almost a guarantee in that case, since ESPN/TNT get zero revenue from the Canadian rights. Also, game 2 is almost sure to be a Saturday night HNIC game, so why would they bastardize ratings even more? 12:30 would be perfect for both sides.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
OK...here is MY prediction: Leafs win Game 1 in Boston, 4-3......Bruin's win Game 2, 3-2; Leafs win both games in Toronto 5-2 and 5-3; Bruins face elimination in Boston but win 3-2....Leafs wrap up the series with a 4-1 victory in Game 6 in Toronto!

If only!

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad