Speculation: Predicting PTOs: 70 Potential Tryouts

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
My hope is Leafs bring in Vermette, Shore, Sproul and Sbisa.
Vermette and Shore would be solid 4cs/ 13th F.

Sproul could be a interesting project, as someone who Babs spoke highly of a few times in Detroit.
Sbisa seems to be an above average 3rd pair guy who, if he clicks with his partner, is an ok mid pair type guy. I'd be Ok with him being on a 3rd pair if anything happens.

Good call on Sproul with the Babcock connection, that could definitely come to fruition.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Toronto:Luke Gazdic (LW), Brandon Kozun (RW)

I really liked Kozun when he played for TOR. Too bad about his injury.

Gazdic is a long shot. I think I would rather have Marchment playing the 4th line if TOR needs a little more toughness there.

I hope it works out for both players, but I think it won't be with TOR.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What happened to Emerson Etem? He had some respectable seasons then fell off a cliff it seems.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
My hope is Leafs bring in Vermette, Shore, Sproul and Sbisa.
Vermette and Shore would be solid 4cs/ 13th F.

Sproul could be a interesting project, as someone who Babs spoke highly of a few times in Detroit.
Sbisa seems to be an above average 3rd pair guy who, if he clicks with his partner, is an ok mid pair type guy. I'd be Ok with him being on a 3rd pair if anything happens.

Vermette's not a bad option if we can't get Shore, he's damn good at faceoffs but not much else from what I've heard. Sproul makes sense to compete with Carrick, but personally I don't see the point of Sbisa. He wouldn't be replacing Dermott, and if we traded Gardiner and moved up Dermott, then we would probably stick with Borgman in that spot.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Vermette's not a bad option if we can't get Shore, he's damn good at faceoffs but not much else from what I've heard. Sproul makes sense to compete with Carrick, but personally I don't see the point of Sbisa. He wouldn't be replacing Dermott, and if we traded Gardiner and moved up Dermott, then we would probably stick with Borgman in that spot.

I'd say Sbisa is better than Borgman right now.

Reilly Gardiner
Dermott Zaitsev
Sbisa Carrick
Borgman Sproul/Holl
Gives a solid replacement at Left and Righ D.
Vermette is still one of the best 3 face off guys, and is above average at PK.
With our team having another dominant face off guy down the middle could be helpful on the PK.

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
edmonton p seem to make sense i wouldnt mind seeing hemsky a 1 year deal if wants to retire dude been riddled with injuries throught his career

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
As a sign of summer rust, I somehow mixed up Jussi Jokinen and Loui Eriksson in my Dallas analysis, suggesting it was Jokinen who was part of the Seguin trade to Boston. Fixed that, but figured I should admit my shame here too haha.

Lots of work, lots of time. You're only human, don't take it to heart.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Why on earth would the Avs add more depth defensemen? They have plenty

It’ll just bottleneck their youth’s development

It's a couple more warm bodies with at least passable hockey skills for drills and scrimmages so the coaches can spend more time working with the youngsters, instead of trying to rush them back out there so they don't hold up the rest of the team. Not really anything to worry about.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tis the season for PTOs — professional tryouts — and time for my annual predictions on where 70 of the remaining free agents could end up auditioning this fall as NHL teams attempt to increase competition for their training camps while rounding out their rosters: https://thehockeywriters.com/predicting-professional-tryouts-2018/

Your thoughts?

The Flyers are already loaded on LW

Giroux
JVR
Lindblom
Raffl

And they signed Christian Folin to be their depth veteran RD already.

For these reasons, barring injuries, neither Hartnell or Fayne are going to end up in Philly.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
I can see Jurco for NYR....

IMO, Matt O'Connor would need to have a big training camp in order to beat out Mazanec/Georgiev for the backup spot. I could see a different goalie coming into camp to compete. Out of the ones mentioned I could see Lehtonen, Lindback or maybe even Pavelec with another stint?

I could also see the Rangers bring in a defensive minded veteran to help the bottom-6 in case some of the kids really aren't ready? Third time's a charm Dom Moore!!

:popcorn:

This I really would like to see Jurco or those fringe guys come in and try to prove them , best case scenario they sign alow cost contract you can flip for assetts

Reactions: Joey Bones

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Edmonton and Vancouver are apparently interested in giving him a PTO. I think the Oilers should just give him a one-year and pair him with Brodziak.

I think the Oilers would be very pleased with both. Brodziak played over his head last year. Wish we could have brought him back but I know we just don't have room for him. Ideal fourth liners that can play up in the lineup if necessary. I'm a huge fan of both of them.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jokinen played for 4 teams last season? Only 4 players have played for that many teams in a year.

Poor guy

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Pittsburgh doesn’t have an enforcer in their system, so inviting Anthony Peluso or Luke Gazdic would make sense.

Maybe add a veteran defenceman like Cody Franson or James Garrison to create some competition.

I’m not sold on DeSmith either (Jarry will most likely start in WBS) Lehtonen and Mason are intriguing if they are willing to go the PTO route.
I'm guessing you had the football player on your mind when you mention garrison

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Tis the season for PTOs — professional tryouts — and time for my annual predictions on where 70 of the remaining free agents could end up auditioning this fall as NHL teams attempt to increase competition for their training camps while rounding out their rosters: https://thehockeywriters.com/predicting-professional-tryouts-2018/

Your thoughts?

I’m not sure the Caps will bring anyone. IF they do, I’d wager 2 things:

A 4c type to challenge Dowd, and allow Stephenson to play 3W. I wouldn’t think they’d bring a W as they have a lot of young W’s ready to go. Gersich, Walker, etc. DSP will prob be a 4w for sure. So no need for that. I’d wager a guy like Letestu or Vermette may make sense. That said, I’d love Wardo back.

A goalie to challenge Copley. I personally have been calling for Lehtonen. It was reported that they were sniffing around him and Pavalec back in mid July, so that wouldn’t shock me at all.

Anyway, good read. Thanks for creating it.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I’m not sure the Caps will bring anyone. IF they do, I’d wager 2 things:

A 4c type to challenge Dowd, and allow Stephenson to play 3W. I wouldn’t think they’d bring a W as they have a lot of young W’s ready to go. Gersich, Walker, etc. DSP will prob be a 4w for sure. So no need for that. I’d wager a guy like Letestu or Vermette may make sense. That said, I’d love Wardo back.

A goalie to challenge Copley. I personally have been calling for Lehtonen. It was reported that they were sniffing around him and Pavalec back in mid July, so that wouldn’t shock me at all.

Anyway, good read. Thanks for creating it.

That makes sense for the Capitals, thanks for weighing in and offering your insight.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
I don’t think either have anything left in the tank, but I’d like to see Joel Ward and Paul Martin get a chance somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad