Speculation: Predicting PTOs: 70 Potential Tryouts

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Looking forward to feedback on this piece. We'll find out soon enough whether I'm right or wrong on all these PTOs, but you can tell me one way or the other in the meantime!

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I hope the Leafs PTO Nick Shore and Daniel Winnik. I wouldn't mind a Kozun PTO either, but Gazdic is just not the kind of player Dubas is gonna be giving tryouts to.

And like the article said, we already have Rich Clune as our preseason goon.

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Gormley to STL makes no sense from the Blues perspective. We have Edmundson , Dunn, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Walman, and Mikkola of the left side as well as plenty of AHL LD depth. Also Shaw doesn't seem like he would add anything to the team since we added Maroon and Nolan for grit and have Thorburn already. I think Vermette would be a better option for us in case Thomas struggles and/or need to play wing. Would also give us a good veteran presence on what projects to be a younger fourth line depending how they structure things. Can also put him in the press box without any ill effects on development and allow us to stick some of the kids in the AHL for playing time.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Gormley to STL makes no sense from the Blues perspective. We have Edmundson , Dunn, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Walman, and Mikkola of the left side as well as plenty of AHL LD depth. Also Shaw doesn't seem like he would add anything to the team since we added Maroon and Nolan for grit and have Thorburn already. I think Vermette would be a better option for us in case Thomas struggles and/or need to play wing. Would also give us a good veteran presence on what projects to be a younger fourth line depending how they structure things. Can also put him in the press box without any ill effects on development and allow us to stick some of the kids in the AHL for playing time.

Appreciate the comment and insight, noted for future reference.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville has Hamhuis too... not likely looking at any tryouts. Or at least, not for their own sake... maybe as a courtesy to help players find someplace else at most. Lineup is full.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
how many of these guys are actually even available?

I ask because Puempel caught my eye on your list and he's an RFA that the Wings gave a qualifying offer to....

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm hoping you're wrong on Bieksa to Columbus, but it's a justifiable guess, not only for the reasons cited but because Bieksa has a history in Ohio (he played college hockey at BGSU).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Flyers are set on D before the addition of Fayne, as Prov -Ghost/ Sanheim - Gudas / Hagg-MacDonlad Folin is what most expect, and if anything, Phil Myers will be given a shot. This one isnt a good fit.

I wouldnt be opposed to Scotty coming back, but i think the idea is to get faster and more skilled in the bottom 6. As a PTO it might make sense, but the kids would need to look bad for it to stick.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I could see Shero extending a PTO to Sbisa, even if it’s just for the “countryman connection” to our growing, young Swiss base.

Chiasson would be a head-scratcher, but I’d be cool with it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Scottie Upshall was invited to Blues camp a couple years ago on a PTO and carved out a nice role for himself. He exceeded my expectations and played very well. Hope he can find another gig!

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Pretty good but Versteeg just signed in the KHL.

Yeah that was confirmed after I submitted this piece for publishing. Frattin and Stollery can be crossed off my list today too since they have signed in the KHL over the last 24 hours. As mentioned, the names will be flying off this list now — either for PTOs, late signings or going overseas.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Scottie Upshall was invited to Blues camp a couple years ago on a PTO and carved out a nice role for himself. He exceeded my expectations and played very well. Hope he can find another gig!
Edmonton and Vancouver are apparently interested in giving him a PTO. I think the Oilers should just give him a one-year and pair him with Brodziak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad