Speculation: Predicting PTOs: 70 Potential Tryouts

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I can see Jurco for NYR....

IMO, Matt O'Connor would need to have a big training camp in order to beat out Mazanec/Georgiev for the backup spot. I could see a different goalie coming into camp to compete. Out of the ones mentioned I could see Lehtonen, Lindback or maybe even Pavelec with another stint?

I could also see the Rangers bring in a defensive minded veteran to help the bottom-6 in case some of the kids really aren't ready? Third time's a charm Dom Moore!!

:popcorn:

Reactions: WhoTagz

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I'd like to see Shore stick with a roster somewhere, although he doesn't seem like a Ducks kinda guy, seems more like a redwings kinda guy to me.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'm about 90% sure Bieksa has a PTO somewhere since I saw him in the Toronto airport last Friday lugging around all his equipment, but I suppose it could have been a charity tournament or something along those lines.

Enstrom will get an outright contract if he wants to return and I think maybe Dallas or Minny take a look, still too good for a PTO. I'm shocked someone hasn't signed Stempniak for low money, and Cammalleri should be able to get at least a 13th forward job.

Could see Toronto trying guys like Vermette, Talbot, Shore or Moore again on a PTO in case Lindholm falters and le chevre still isn't there, and maybe a guy like Ward, Stewart or Brouwer for some size.

Montreal is probably sticking with just Despres, too many 3rd pair/4th line guys as is.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I could also see the Rangers bring in a defensive minded veteran to help the bottom-6 in case some of the kids really aren't ready? Third time's a charm Dom Moore!!

Nah we need to get that man to a contender! Got a lot of respect for Moore would love to see him get a cup before calling it quits

Reactions: Joey Bones

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I could see Shero extending a PTO to Sbisa, even if it’s just for the “countryman connection” to our growing, young Swiss base.

Chiasson would be a head-scratcher, but I’d be cool with it.

The Swiss connection was a big part of my rationale for Sbisa to New Jersey but I somehow forgot to mention it in my analysis. Thanks for the reminder, since updated!

Last edited:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I can see Jurco for NYR....

IMO, Matt O'Connor would need to have a big training camp in order to beat out Mazanec/Georgiev for the backup spot. I could see a different goalie coming into camp to compete. Out of the ones mentioned I could see Lehtonen, Lindback or maybe even Pavelec with another stint?

Yeah, O'Connor was in the ECHL last season, so I don't expect him to steal the backup job, but I could see him being added to the Rangers' organization at some level (AHL/ECHL) with a PTO the first step in that process.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary bringing in a bunch of guys with connections to take spots from youth.

Sounds right.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Pretty well done list. Personally I really want the Leafs to PTO Nick Shore to compete with Lindholm/Gauthier for the 4th line C spot. Also despite popular opinion I'm not totally opposed to giving Gazdic a PTO. The Leafs are pretty soft and some sort of physical presence wouldn't be the worst idea, especially if it's only a PTO.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Calgary bringing in a bunch of guys with connections to take spots from youth.

Sounds right.

No spots are guaranteed on a PTO. It might be more about helping showcase former players for opportunities with other teams. Calgary will need to dress the minimum number of veterans for each preseason game and that might be tough if the A-team is in China and it's mostly the prospects back here. So why not bring in some familiar faces to flesh out the B-team and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by one of their performances.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Why on earth would the Avs add more depth defensemen? They have plenty

It’ll just bottleneck their youth’s development

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Pretty well done list. Personally I really want the Leafs to PTO Nick Shore to compete with Lindholm/Gauthier for the 4th line C spot. Also despite popular opinion I'm not totally opposed to giving Gazdic a PTO. The Leafs are pretty soft and some sort of physical presence wouldn't be the worst idea, especially if it's only a PTO.

I think most fan bases are hoping for Nick Shore, so he'll probably get to pick his spot from 10-plus PTO options. Toronto could be on that list, for sure. I could see Colorado being his first choice/preference since he's from Denver and played for Denver University. Decent opportunity there it seems too.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm about 90% sure Bieksa has a PTO somewhere since I saw him in the Toronto airport last Friday lugging around all his equipment, but I suppose it could have been a charity tournament or something along those lines.

Enstrom will get an outright contract if he wants to return and I think maybe Dallas or Minny take a look, still too good for a PTO. I'm shocked someone hasn't signed Stempniak for low money, and Cammalleri should be able to get at least a 13th forward job.

Could see Toronto trying guys like Vermette, Talbot, Shore or Moore again on a PTO in case Lindholm falters and le chevre still isn't there, and maybe a guy like Ward, Stewart or Brouwer for some size.

Montreal is probably sticking with just Despres, too many 3rd pair/4th line guys as is.

He hasn't made a decision yet, but Enstrom is currently practicing with MODO of the Allsvenskan....

Hoppas fortfarande på stjärnvärvningen

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I think most fan bases are hoping for Nick Shore, so he'll probably get to pick his spot from 10-plus PTO options. Toronto could be on that list, for sure. I could see Colorado being his first choice/preference since he's from Denver and played for Denver University. Decent opportunity there it seems too.

Yeah I figured Shore would probably be the prize PTO player. Really good numbers for a young 4th line centre. Hopefully it works out wherever he goes.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Flyers are set on D before the addition of Fayne, as Prov -Ghost/ Sanheim - Gudas / Hagg-MacDonlad Folin is what most expect, and if anything, Phil Myers will be given a shot. This one isnt a good fit.

I wouldnt be opposed to Scotty coming back, but i think the idea is to get faster and more skilled in the bottom 6. As a PTO it might make sense, but the kids would need to look bad for it to stick.
Yeah I agree. Hartnell probably would want at least 1.25m. I’d suppose Hextall would talk for a 1yr deal at 750K. Hartnell does have good playoff experience with 2 cup runs under his belt. Would definitely benefit having him on the 4th line come 1st rd.

Or... Hartnell can go to LA with his best friend Jeff Carter:popcorn::naughty:

Reactions: Starat327

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Pittsburgh doesn’t have an enforcer in their system, so inviting Anthony Peluso or Luke Gazdic would make sense.

Maybe add a veteran defenceman like Cody Franson or James Garrison to create some competition.

I’m not sold on DeSmith either (Jarry will most likely start in WBS) Lehtonen and Mason are intriguing if they are willing to go the PTO route.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Nick Shore is a tan crayon. He's neither really good or really bad at anything. He's just there. Not physical, decent AHL scorer, little to no NHL scoring. Not fast, good defensively but will never wow you. I'd rather bring up a kid and give him a shot personally. I completely understand why the Kings and Sens and Flames all ditched him.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Pittsburgh doesn’t have an enforcer in their system, so inviting Anthony Peluso or Luke Gazdic would make sense.

Maybe add a veteran defenceman like Cody Franson or James Garrison to create some competition.

I’m not sold on DeSmith either (Jarry will most likely start in WBS) Lehtonen and Mason are intriguing if they are willing to go the PTO route.

Good points all around. The Penguins could be a player in the PTO game, and players do want to play for a contender, so those could all be potential fits.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
As a sign of summer rust, I somehow mixed up Jussi Jokinen and Loui Eriksson in my Dallas analysis, suggesting it was Jokinen who was part of the Seguin trade to Boston. Fixed that, but figured I should admit my shame here too haha.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think Winnik is exactly what we need with Leo gone. He could slot in as our #4 Lw/C is a rl gud pro and can kill penalties

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
I doubt Winnipeg will extend any PTOs to any UFA vets. Think they'll go into training camp with what they have and see what guys like Roslovic, Appleton, Vesalainen, Niku, etc do first before looking to add any proven NHL's.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

My hope is Leafs bring in Vermette, Shore, Sproul and Sbisa.
Vermette and Shore would be solid 4cs/ 13th F.

Sproul could be a interesting project, as someone who Babs spoke highly of a few times in Detroit.
Sbisa seems to be an above average 3rd pair guy who, if he clicks with his partner, is an ok mid pair type guy. I'd be Ok with him being on a 3rd pair if anything happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad