Line Combos: Predicting Forward Lines for 2013-2014

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think that A is the most likely, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see this:

Colin Greening - Jason Spezza - Bobby Ryan
Clarke MacArthur - Kyle Turris - Milan Michalek
Cory Conacher - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Mika Zibanejad
Erik Condra - Zack Smith - Chris Neil

mikey

Jul 26, 2008
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Greening/Pageau
Conacher - Zib - Pageau/Condra
Greening/Condra - Smith - Neil

I guarantee we start with something like that.

We need depth on the wings, our center depth is great. With Spezz/Turris/Zib/Smith, its one of the best depths in the league.

We need scoring wingers, Pageau can fill that niche.

Injuries occur, I'm certain Pageau will be centering a line some point this season, but if he can play wing he'd really fill a gap in our lineup.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think that A is the most likely, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see this:

I like this lineup.

Switch Pageau and Zibanejad.

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
I know everyone (including Bryan Murray) would like to see Zibanejad at centre but if Pageau is on the roster (and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be) he's playing centre. You can't have a guy that tiny playing on the wing.

Zibanejad on the other hand, has the skillset and bodytype to excel at wing or centre so he seems to be the obvious candidate to move over to wing, especially considering there's a big gaping hole at RW on the 2nd line.

Murray can say they like Zibanejad at centre all he wants but the current roster makeup screams out for Maclean to move him to the wing (at least for the time being).

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I know everyone (including Bryan Murray) would like to see Zibanejad at centre but if Pageau is on the roster (and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be) he's playing centre. You can't have a guy that tiny playing on the wing.

I think you have it backwards. Centres should have size and be able to win puck battles. Players like St Louis, Conacher, Gionta brothers , Gallagher all play well on the the wing and have no size, theres no reason why Pageau can't be a winger like them.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Greening/Pageau
Conacher - Zib - Pageau/Condra
Greening/Condra - Smith - Neil

I guarantee we start with something like that.

We need depth on the wings, our center depth is great. With Spezz/Turris/Zib/Smith, its one of the best depths in the league.

We need scoring wingers, Pageau can fill that niche.

Injuries occur, I'm certain Pageau will be centering a line some point this season, but if he can play wing he'd really fill a gap in our lineup.

Ryan will play on LW Murray has already said that

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
All other things being equal, I like the idea of moving Greening up the LW depth chart, and Conacher down the LW depth chart.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That may not be true. Hoffman hasn't really had much of a chance at the NHL, but looked pretty dangerous the couple games he was up last year. Sure, Pageau looked good - but we need to see more of Hoffman before we conclude one over the other. Hoffman was more impressive in Binghamton.

I think its a mistake that the board has Pageau at C over Zibanejad. Zibby has the higher upside of the two and should be playing C this year. GMBM said the same.

Send Pageau down to start the year, let him develop his game a little more before he gets called up during the year again.

I prefer Option A. But sending Pageau down after his great stint sends the young guy the wrong message IMHO.

The Hoff is also massively overrated by some here. He's got wheels and reminds me a bit of Vermette, but if anything he shall only get a spot over one of JOB or Kassian, and NOT at the expense of Pageau not starting with the team.

Of course, anything can change between now and October.

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
I think you have it backwards. Centres should have size and be able to win puck battles. Players like St Louis, Conacher, Gionta brothers , Gallagher all play well on the the wing and have no size, theres no reason why Pageau can't be a winger like them.

Maclean and the Sens seem to disagree given that Pageau never once played on the wing last year either in the NHL or AHL while Zibanejad has been shuttled back and forth between the two.

the tribute

May 10, 2011
Zibby was below 40% in faceoffs during the playoffs while JGP was just slightly below 50%. If Zibane can't pick up the faceoff ability then I don't see him in that position.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
I prefer Option A. But sending Pageau down after his great stint sends the young guy the wrong message IMHO.

Maclean has often said, "the best players play". Let's hope Pageau makes a good showing this year. :)

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
The biggest reason for a Zibanejad move to the wing at least temporarily, is the massive hole on the 2nd line RW that needs to be filled.

Do you want Z-bad to be playing with offensive players like Turris and McArthur or centring the checking line? I know which option I'd choose.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Dude, that IS Option A. Guy likes.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Guys....Michalek-Spezza-Ryan is pretty much a guaranteed line. That's straight from Murray's mouth.

I also think Pags gets sent down, more to do with his contract than his play, since he only is marginally better if at all than our other options and he can be sent down easier.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Guys....Michalek-Spezza-Ryan is pretty much a guaranteed line. That's straight from Murray's mouth.

I also think Pags gets sent down, more to do with his contract than his play, since he only is marginally better if at all than our other options and he can be sent down easier.
Murray's not the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad