Line Combos: Predicting Forward Lines for 2013-2014

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That chart makes no sense. It has been 3 years. 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13.

It's either 3 years or 80 games to be eligible. 69 games because of lockout. Well it's been 3 years.

That’s capgeek data for you, I don’t really know much about it.

Bottomline, Pageau deserves it over Hoffman - who may have paid his due, but so had Josh Hennessy. Pageau has played more meaningful games than Hoffman in the NHL and he was a superb all-around performer. He wasn’t just a useful plug, he was brilliant.

The majority of the votes here and on the Pageau thread sees him as a 3rd line centre. Murray and Maclean and Dorion and Lee and the media and the fans love him. He will start the season in Ottawa unless he absolutely craps the bed in training camp or is injured.

WhiteLight*

Bottomline, Pageau deserves it over Hoffman - who may have paid his due, but so had Josh Hennessy. Pageau has played more meaningful games than Hoffman in the NHL and he was a superb all-around performer. He wasn’t just a useful plug, he was brilliant.

The majority of the votes here and on the Pageau thread sees him as a 3rd line centre. Murray and Maclean and Dorion and Lee and the media and the fans love him. He will start the season in Ottawa unless he absolutely craps the bed in training camp or is injured.

Hey I don't disagree with you - Pageau does deserve it more. I just don't want to lose Hoffman for nothing before we see what we have. And it looks like there's only one spot for both.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Murray said he will make a move at the deadline to add a player if we are in the playoff picture - Hoffman seems like a guy who just needs an NHL shot and could be a good additionn to a team looking for some offense.

Cal: Hoffman, Grant
Ott: Cammalerri

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
B is closest, but I'd do this:

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Conacher-Turris-Zibby
MacArthur-Pageau-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

I'm not really feeling MacArthur on the second line. He can score in that spot, but not consistently. Usually he's not a good fit for third lines, but since we're essentially rolling three scoring lines, I think he'd be a nice fit alongside Pageau and Condra. And if Conacher can play with the same style of reckless abandon that netted him so many points in Tampa... well, we might have something special with that second line.

I like these lines

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I'm hoping for something like this:

MacArthur Spezza Ryan
Hoffman Turris Michalek
Greening Pageau Condra
Stone Zibanejad Neil

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i would go with the following line combination atleast to start off with

Conacher-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Michalek
Pageau-Zibby-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

its really similar to option C but it keeps the greening-smith-neil line together which was a good line for us for a good stretch of last season and it also keeps condra away from smith and neil where he never really jelled. it also gives us a solid 2 way 3rd line which can be a great combination late in a hockey game

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Murray said he will make a move at the deadline to add a player if we are in the playoff picture - Hoffman seems like a guy who just needs an NHL shot and could be a good additionn to a team looking for some offense.

Cal: Hoffman, Grant
Ott: Cammalerri

Add Da Costa to the no future in Ottawa list.

What could Hoffman Da Costa Grant get? How much more would adding a Dizzy JOB or Boro get?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Add Da Costa to the no future in Ottawa list.

What could Hoffman Da Costa Grant get? How much more would adding a Dizzy JOB or Boro get?

Not much more. A pile of crap remains just that despite how many additional craps you add to it.

Anyways, if Zibanejad learns to play wing well, our top six becomes lethal as we're missing a top six RW. Long term, that might not be the best idea however.

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Zibanejad
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Conacher-Smith-Neil(DZ in a few years)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Screw...Guy likes!

So capgeek's wrong with the entered data (factual as he didn't play in the NHL in his rookie contract signing year)?

I guess JOB (likely) or Kassian (Maclean's love child) is gonzo? It would suck if it effects Pageau's ability to make it out of training camp. I can't see any scenario where Pageau doesn't make it over Jobber, Kassassin, or The Hoff - and waiver exemption of the Hoff shouldn't be the reason for Pageau to not stick with the big team. This kid is the definition of apt pupil according to numerous people in the organization (Richardson, Stache, Murray, Dorion, Macho Man Randy Lee). He fits Maclean's system like a glove, all playing 3rd/4th line minutes, at 20, at 5'2", at 120 lbs.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
B is closest, but I'd do this:

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
Conacher-Turris-Zibby
MacArthur-Pageau-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

I'm not really feeling MacArthur on the second line. He can score in that spot, but not consistently. Usually he's not a good fit for third lines, but since we're essentially rolling three scoring lines, I think he'd be a nice fit alongside Pageau and Condra. And if Conacher can play with the same style of reckless abandon that netted him so many points in Tampa... well, we might have something special with that second line.
I believe that BM basically promised MacArther the second line LW position.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

To be fair Hennessy had a longer track record of consistency over pageau . Hennessy was the victim of having vermette and fisher ahead of him and not being able to make an impression. If he was on a weaker team he probably would've had more of a shot as a 2nd line center. I feel bad for Hennessy i truely think the only thing that stopped him from the NHL is being a member of the Ottawa senators .

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone/Hoffman
Conacher - Zib - Pageau
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra

Im not entire sure that Stone or Hoffman will be able to handle top 6 duties, but for everyone complaining about Zib playing with offensive black holes like Neil, I think Conacher and Pageau with him makes a skilled, speedy 3rd line.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArtur - Turris - Condra (Yes, i know Condra on the second line )
Conacher - Zibanejad - Greening
Smith - Pageau - Niel

Kassian/JOB

PP1
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

Wiercioch/Turris - Karlsson

PP2
Conacher - Zibanejad - Macarthur
Corvo - Karlsson

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArtur - Turris - Condra (Yes, i know Condra on the second line )
Conacher - Zibanejad - Greening
Smith - Pageau - Niel

Kassian/JOB

PP1
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

Wiercioch/Turris - Karlsson

PP2
Conacher - Zibanejad - Macarthur
Corvo - Karlsson
Turris plays the point ? As for condra 2nd line and moving greening to RW , why not just move conacher to 2nd line RW

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Stone - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
Kassian, Hoffman

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Corvo

Anderson
Lehner

- No Michalek-Spezza-Ryan for the same reason we didn't go with Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson, we can't stack one line and ignore the rest of our lineup.

- Stone could challenge for the Calder if we place him beside Spezza-Ryan, he's smart enough to keep up with the big boys

- Zibanejad is a centerman, if this past season didn't convince people he's perfect as a centerman, I don't know what will

- Keep Pageau in the AHL as the #1 center, call him up when injuries hit the center ice position, he's an NHL player, there just isn't a spot for him

- Methot on another pairing solidifies our entire defense, Karlsson will make Cowen look like a top pairing defenseman, while Methot turns our 2nd pairing into a strength, not a weakness

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Stone - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
Kassian, Hoffman

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Corvo

Anderson
Lehner

- No Michalek-Spezza-Ryan for the same reason we didn't go with Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson, we can't stack one line and ignore the rest of our lineup.

- Stone could challenge for the Calder if we place him beside Spezza-Ryan, he's smart enough to keep up with the big boys

- Zibanejad is a centerman, if this past season didn't convince people he's perfect as a centerman, I don't know what will

- Keep Pageau in the AHL as the #1 center, call him up when injuries hit the center ice position, he's an NHL player, there just isn't a spot for him

- Methot on another pairing solidifies our entire defense, Karlsson will make Cowen look like a top pairing defenseman, while Methot turns our 2nd pairing into a strength, not a weakness

Michalek didnt look too great with Turris as his center imo. Saying that maybe putting him on the second line can help him stay healthier if he plays less minutes . We know michalek can score at least 30 with spezza as his center. Looking at how he played at the end of the season and in the playoffs we might be hard pressed to get 20 out of him with turris as his center . He was invisible throughout the whole playoffs. We have to remember that we were one of the top offensive teams in the league with our MM and spezza combo.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

That may not be true. Hoffman hasn't really had much of a chance at the NHL, but looked pretty dangerous the couple games he was up last year. Sure, Pageau looked good - but we need to see more of Hoffman before we conclude one over the other. Hoffman was more impressive in Binghamton.

I think its a mistake that the board has Pageau at C over Zibanejad. Zibby has the higher upside of the two and should be playing C this year. GMBM said the same.

Send Pageau down to start the year, let him develop his game a little more before he gets called up during the year again.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Why is everyone putting Zib on the wing? Murray has clearly stated he wants Zib at centre.
Because they'd like to see him with a good chance at putting up points, which he can do in two ways.

1) Play 3C, but have two solid offensive linemates.
2) Play top 6 wing.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
I think C is the closest but Condra is absolutely positively with out a doubt terrible at playing left wing.

He plays RW steady like a boss but LW he just sucks.

Seriously watch him next time.

Neither Murray nor Maclean like to play players on their off-sides. And Condra's poor play on the left wing is precisely the result. The only time off-wing positioning works is during the power play. All other times, it's a defensive liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad