Line Combos: Predicting Forward Lines for 2013-2014

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If Ryan prefers the LW... its his ..There not going to put him of the RW if he doesnt wanna play there lol

Wake up

Except in an interview he did on SensTV yesterday, he said...

"I was always a right winger and that never really changed. But with Anaheim I've played center, I've played left wing … I've played a little bit of everything and I think that I'm starting to get more and more comfortable on the right wing towards the end of where I was in Anaheim. But if you play the right wing there, you have to play behind Perry and Teemu and that was tough to do so they moved me to left and I got comfortable there."

Prefers RW. Played left out of necessity.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678320

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Basede on who we have now; to start the season.

Ryan - Spezza - Stone (or Hoffmann - Spezza - Ryan)
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Pageau - Zibanejad
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra, Kassian

O'Brien traded

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Well, I have Pageau centering the line because he dominated Zibanejad at development camp in the circle and has just generally been better than Zibby at faceoffs.
But management keeps saying Zibby will be a C.

I agree with having him on the wing, but think it's more likely he'll play C.

The Fuhr*

We only have four forwards with a 20G season on there resume and two are injury prone :(

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But management keeps saying Zibby will be a C.

I agree with having him on the wing, but think it's more likely he'll play C.

I wonder if they would consider putting Smith on the first line LW. I know that they gave him rave reviews and he does have a wicked shot (moreso in practice than in game). He played some of his best hockey this year when given a prominent offensive role (he was like a ppg or something close). That would allow for Pageau and Zibanejad to stay at centre. I don't think that Pageau really cares where he plays as long as he is in the show.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Pageau - Neil

Very well balanced line-up. I doubt they move Smith from centre because he's one of our better drawmen, but it would be an interesting experiment anyway. Some size, speed and skill on every line.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if they would consider putting Smith on the first line LW. I know that they gave him rave reviews and he does have a wicked shot (moreso in practice than in game). He played some of his best hockey this year when given a prominent offensive role (he was like a ppg or something close). That would allow for Pageau and Zibanejad to stay at centre. I don't think that Pageau really cares where he plays as long as he is in the show.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan
Greening - Pageau - Neil

Very well balanced line-up. I doubt they move Smith from centre because he's one of our better drawmen, but it would be an interesting experiment anyway. Some size, speed and skill on every line.

Smith's one of our best face-off guys. Considering our team's face-off % last year I doubt they'll be moving him away from the dot. Certainly not to the first line.

Zibanejad on the other hand has been getting schooled in the circle, while he has a much better offensive upside. If anything I could see a top-6 of:

Zibanejad - Spezza - Ryan

I think that would give us two fast, dynamic scoring lines with a bottom-6 that looks something like this:

Greening/Stone - Pageau - Conacher
Condra/Greening - Smith - Neil

2 strong lines (Note: The Pageau/Conacher line might not be big, but don't underestimate them. Very chippy. Very gritty. No quit)

Condra/Smith/Neil would be a solid, hard-hitting shutdown line, while Greening could add a bit of a scoring touch.

Scratch: The Kassassin (vs. anyone but Toronto:yo:)

WhiteLight*

We only have four forwards with a 20G season on there resume and two are injury prone :(

Turris and Karlsson, just horrible players :sarcasm:

Haven't scored 20G yet, they should be shipped away for random minor leaguers that Fuhr likes

The Fuhr*

I like Turris... go back to the thread when we grabbed him... loved the move... but the dude has not scored 20G yet... he's an average 2nd line center

WhiteLight*

That's right, Turris is an average 2nd line centre offensively.

Turris + 4 forwards with at least 20 goals = 5 legit top 6 forwards. I'd bet on 1 of Zib or Conacher to produce like on too = 6 top 6 forwards.

+ Erik Karlsson the scoring machine.

You're worried about offense?

In 2011-12, the team only had 3 20 goal scorers, and they finished 4th in GF.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Statistically speaking, Kyle Turris is an above average or average 2nd line Center offensively speaking.

Top 10: Above Average 1st Liner
11-20: Average 1st Liner
21-30: Below Average 1st Liner
31-40: Above Average 2nd Liner
41-50: Average 2nd Liner
51-60: Below Average 2nd Liner

Turris was 38th in points for centers.

WhiteLight*

Statistically speaking, Kyle Turris is an above average or average 2nd line Center offensively speaking.

Top 10: Above Average 1st Liner
11-20: Average 1st Liner
21-30: Below Average 1st Liner
31-40: Above Average 2nd Liner
41-50: Average 2nd Liner
51-60: Below Average 2nd Liner

Turris was 38th in points for centers.

Turris is awesome and the best all around forward on the team

The Fuhr*

This past season Turris had a 21 game scoreless drought and another drought of 17 games where he only scored 2G (both in the same game)

38 games two droughts and only scored in one of them... he's average

WhiteLight*

This past season Turris had a 21 game scoreless drought and another drought of 17 games where he only scored 2G (both in the same game)

Still good enough to be above average.

In the playoffs he scored 6 goals in 10 games and almost ppg.

During this scoring drought he was relied upon to be the main offensive contributor and faced the hardest matchups every night. Which he won't need to do next year.

The Fuhr*

All I hear is excuses... at least he's not making as much as Mike Fisher

WhiteLight*

All I hear is excuses... at least he's not making as much as Mike Fisher

What excuses? Despite his draught (not ignoring it), he was still be better than your average 2nd line centre. And he steps up his game in the playoffs, which adds even more value.

The Fuhr*

What excuses? Despite his draught (not ignoring it), he was still be better than your average 2nd line centre. And he steps up his game in the playoffs, which adds even more value.

Mike Fisher was the same way and I hated watching him play... goes hot for 10 games and then vanished for 20+... and Fisher was a consistent 20G guy.

Both below average 2C's

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Take the season as a whole, don't chop it up to prove your point. Turris is a young player and scoring drought's are part of the process. He was one of our best in the playoffs and he will only get better.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
If Pageau sticks in camp.

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Neil

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
If Pageau sticks in camp.

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Neil
Nothing like developing an intriguing prospect like sticking him beside the two worst offensive players on the team!

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
Nothing like developing an intriguing prospect like sticking him beside the two worst offensive players on the team!

I'm not convinced Pageau will make the team out of camp. If he does, let him work his way up the line-up. Ottawa has a good tradition of starting guys like Hossa and Havlat on the 4th line at first. The kid is a shot of energy. If he makes the team, he's going to end up playing on different lines as needed.

My reasoning:

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
Very big line. Greening has played much of his best hockey on Spezza's wing. He would be the first to be moved off this line though in favour of Mac, Mic or Con as desired.

This is a pretty good and smart 2nd line. I'm still not sold on Michalek with Spezza however both wingers will likely see time with Spezza.

Condra provides good possession stats and the other two work on offense.

Smith - Pageau - Neil
The hobbit gets insulated by the big boys. A real energy line.

This is not an overly fast team so maintaining possession will be important. I think the top three lines give this team the best shot at that.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Turris led the team in playoff goals with 6 (in 10 games). Second in points with 9.

Okay, sorry, I'll stop making "excuses" for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad