Speculation: Predict where Perry winds up & when!

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It is over four years instead of two tho. The ducks don't need the cap atm . Better to just retain 50

Oh I agree. Trade scenarios where we are free of the cap after two years and save more than that $4M are definitely more attractive, as long as we're not giving up any key young assets in the process.

I really think between retention and/or taking back another short term salary, there's probably a deal to be found.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Oh I agree. Trade scenarios where we are free of the cap after two years and save more than that $4M are definitely more attractive, as long as we're not giving up any key young assets in the process.

I really think between retention and/or taking back another short term salary, there's probably a deal to be found.
I think with retention you shouldn't have to give up pretty much anything. Before this past year he was still a 50 point guy , just is slow as dirt but you can put him in front of the net on a power play

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Perry and 1st (29 OA) for Alzner

- 4 millions and Alzner has a friendly contract to buy out after this year

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Perry and 1st (29 OA) for Alzner

- 4 millions and Alzner has a friendly contract to buy out after this year

Not a chance the Ducks see that as being preferable to just buying out Perry.

There's no desperation to be rid of him, obviously they'll buy him out if the only alternatives are giving up a 1st to take on another bad contract.

Reactions: klabob

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I bet Perry has a rebound year with the Ducks if he stays. The Ducks were such a mess last year and everyone's point totals took a hit.

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Aug 25, 2009
éal
As I’m sure you all know by now, the Ducks & Corey Perry have come to the agreement that parting ways is a mutually beneficial path moving forward. My question to you all is, where will he go and at what point?

My personal take(s):

I would put money down that the Ducks will NOT buy out his contract. While they aren’t the hard budget team everyone assumes them to be, the Ducks also don’t spend frivolously (though Murray’s summer FA signing record may suggest otherwise) and I can’t see the Samuelis being thrilled with paying someone longer than the length of their contract to simply not play & open up a roster spot. Especially with the $6.625m cap hit in year two of the buyout (when Terry, Sprong & Shore are due for new contracts).

That said, I think he’ll get traded sometime between now & the ‘19-20 trade deadline.

•at or before the draft: Philly
•at or before the deadline: Columbus or Montréal

What do y’all think?
If Montréal is interested, maybe something like

To Anaheim :
Karl Alzner
15th overall pick

To Montréal:
Corey Perry
9th overall pick

The Ducks still get to pick local defenceman Cam York at 15th overall pick. If they buy out Alzner (which they dont have to, his cap hit is half of Perry's) they have 1M cap hit until 2025
upload_2019-6-11_12-57-7.png

Habs move up 6 spot, and have cap room for Perry. They can wait until after next season and buy him out

upload_2019-6-11_12-56-54.png

Not sure I would do it, but I'd throw that out there as a possibility

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

To Anaheim :
Karl Alzner
15th overall pick

To Montréal:
Corey Perry
9th overall pick

The Ducks still get to pick local defenceman Cam York at 15th overall pick. If they buy out Alzner (which they dont have to, his cap hit is half of Perry's) they have 1M cap hit until 2025
View attachment 235467

Habs move up 6 spot, and have cap room for Perry. They can wait until after next season and buy him out

View attachment 235465
Why would the Ducks do this? They would be way further ahead just buying Perry out.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

To Anaheim :
Karl Alzner
15th overall pick

To Montréal:
Corey Perry
9th overall pick

View attachment 235467

View attachment 235465
Honestly not really worth it form Anaheim perspective, that 9th pick is pretty big for us

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

To Anaheim :
Karl Alzner
15th overall pick

To Montréal:
Corey Perry
9th overall pick

So we give up the best we've had since Lindholm, where we could drat a guy we actually need. To give up Perry, but add a cap dump that's we have to deal with for 3 years instead of two...

And you get to move up 6 spots, get rid of a contract that you don't want and get a player you only have to deal with for one season until buy him out.

How in the world does this benefit us?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he is bought out toronto prob makes most sense and i assume itll be 1 or 2 mil deal

If he gets bought out I fully expect him to be Leaf, and since he'd be replacing Marleau the Leafs would be getting younger, and I'd argue better even at Perry's age

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Lol just because he played that way doesn't mean he's a prick off the ice.

He just paid over $7M for a house in London, Ontario. Stands to reason he'd value proximity to his home over sticking it the Ducks.
So you think Detroit or Buffalo?

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
It's such a roll of the dice to see if he actually rebounds from the injury - the Sabres could definitely use the scoring prowess, that contract is a dog though... Woof!

2 scenarios... First money out-money in (pretty much), ANA gets out of cap hit a year earlier.

To :sabres
RW Corey Perry (34yo - $8.63M UFA in 2021)
2020 4th RND pick

To :ducks
C/W Vladimir Sobotka (31yo - $3.5M UFA in 2020)
D Marco Scandella (29yo - $4M UFA in 2020)

2nd scenario... ANA gets some cap relief but takes on some term.. And gets a bit of a sweetener.

RW Kyle Okposo (31yo - $6M UFA in 2023)
D Casey Fitgerald (NCAA) or D Jacob Bryson (USDP)
2020 conditional 3rd/4th RND pick (based on Perry's production)

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Olofsson-Mittelstadt-Perry
Sheary-Rodrigues-Nylander
Smith/Wilson-Larsson-Girgensons
X.Wilson/Smith

Reactions: IDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's such a roll of the dice to see if he actually rebounds from the injury - the Sabres could definitely use the scoring prowess, that contract is a dog though... Woof!

2 scenarios... First money out-money in (pretty much), ANA gets out of cap hit a year earlier.

2020 4th RND pick

2nd scenario... ANA gets some cap relief but takes on some term.. And gets a bit of a sweetener.

D Casey Fitgerald (NCAA) D Jacob Bryson (USDP)

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
X.Wilson/Smith
Both seem reasonable, but idk that wed want to do the 2nd one... that okoposo contract is a lil rough, but the adds were decent. dont think id be mad at either

So well done by you

Reactions: Blitz

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

2020 4th RND pick

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
X.Wilson/Smith

1st scenario I think would work. I really can't see Anaheim doing the second, taking on Okposo+ doesn't seem preferable to a buyout.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

2020 4th RND pick

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
X.Wilson/Smith
Reasonable proposals, I would really strongly consider the first one, I think it checks a lot of boxes for Anaheim (but personally I wouldn`t try to get rid of Perry in the first place)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Before commenting, consider the situation.

ANA saves $4M from a buyout on his 2 years @ $8.6M per Cap. Salary would be $15M for the remaining years. They will not retain unless they can save more or receive an asset. No team is going to take his deal for even a 50% retention unless a sweetener is attached which is unlikely.

Buyout is the best option for ANA. He can still continue his career elsewhere to recover the financial losses.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Oddly enough.

If Marleau were to leave.....Perry as a cheap contract makes a bit of sense for both.

He can find his game on an up and coming team with the potential to play with Matthews, Tavares or Kadri. Head back home and heal up properly under a well renowned team of med. Staff ( this was a contributing factor to Ennis coming on)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad