Speculation: Predict where Perry winds up & when!

wraparound

May 17, 2014
As I’m sure you all know by now, the Ducks & Corey Perry have come to the agreement that parting ways is a mutually beneficial path moving forward. My question to you all is, where will he go and at what point?

My personal take(s):

I would put money down that the Ducks will NOT buy out his contract. While they aren’t the hard budget team everyone assumes them to be, the Ducks also don’t spend frivolously (though Murray’s summer FA signing record may suggest otherwise) and I can’t see the Samuelis being thrilled with paying someone longer than the length of their contract to simply not play & open up a roster spot. Especially with the $6.625m cap hit in year two of the buyout (when Terry, Sprong & Shore are due for new contracts).

That said, I think he’ll get traded sometime between now & the ‘19-20 trade deadline.

•at or before the draft: Philly
•at or before the deadline: Columbus or Montréal

What do y’all think?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Either the Ducks take back a bad contract (probably a defenseman) like Macdonald or Alzner or he'll be bought out. I think it will be the latter ultimately. Can't see much interest at that cap hit outside of dumps coming the other way.

If he gets bought out he'll end up in the east. Boston or Toronto would be my guess for cheap.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I personally wouldn't like to see him in Montreal. He would basically be seen as the Alzner on forward, too slow and too overpayed for what he can actually bring. I know he has the nice gritty side to his game that most coaches love to have but he doesn't bring much aside from that, in my opinion,which guys like Gallagher and Shaw bring for the Habs.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
IIRC he was more worried about destination than cashing in big back in 2013, so I would expect a cheap multi year deal with a team on the east or west coast. Toronto/Boston/San Jose/Los Angeles/Arizona/Dallas/Buffalo/Detroit.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
On Ana before he eventually retires because no one is taking almost 9mAAV on a guy who barely played last year and has been declining for a while

Reactions: Ciao

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Perry is the kinda prick that would sign with a rival out of spite for being bought out. I would think San Jose would be the place at the vet minimum to both Ducks and Sharks fans disgust. He just wants to piss off everyone.

Despite disliking the current GM, Perry up until this point has played 14 years and has won a championship and hart w/ Anaheim.

It took Paul Kariya YEARS to regain favor with the club and its fans. If Perry wants to sign with a rival to spite Anaheim, go for it, but he'll lose favorite son status, which few players ever earn and not something to tread on lightly.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
If he gets bought out, I think he signs in Toronto for $2-ish mil for 1-2 years.

But if the Ducks are serious about starting a rebuild I dont see them buying him out because that means (part of) his salary stays on their books for 4 years. With the way the buy out would be structured, in the 2020-2021 season, the Ducks would have a cap hit of $6.25 for him to not be on the team.

It will be hard to leverage cap space for trades if they are still paying Perry to not play for them. So they have to trade him. And with a trade I see him going somewhere like Calgary for Neal plus a pick or prospect for taking on his contract before eventually flipping them at the deadline in the future or something. It would clear almost $3 mil in cap for Anaheim and get Calgary out of Neal's long term deal.

As a more competitive trade I could see a team like Colorado who has a boatload of cap space and only a couple impactful players to re-sign take on his contract, possibly at a reduced rate depending on what Rantanen gets but could be a veteran leader, depth scorer, and PP2 net front presence for them.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Perry is the kinda prick that would sign with a rival out of spite for being bought out. I would think San Jose would be the place at the vet minimum to both Ducks and Sharks fans disgust. He just wants to piss off everyone.

Lol just because he played that way doesn't mean he's a prick off the ice.

He just paid over $7M for a house in London, Ontario. Stands to reason he'd value proximity to his home over sticking it the Ducks.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If he gets bought out, I think he signs in Toronto for $2-ish mil for 1-2 years.

But if the Ducks are serious about starting a rebuild I dont see them buying him out because that means (part of) his salary stays on their books for 4 years. With the way the buy out would be structured, in the 2020-2021 season, the Ducks would have a cap hit of $6.25 for him to not be on the team.

It will be hard to leverage cap space for trades if they are still paying Perry to not play for them. So they have to trade him. And with a trade I see him going somewhere like Calgary for Neal plus a pick or prospect for taking on his contract before eventually flipping them at the deadline in the future or something. It would clear almost $3 mil in cap for Anaheim and get Calgary out of Neal's long term deal.

As a more competitive trade I could see a team like Colorado who has a boatload of cap space and only a couple impactful players to re-sign take on his contract, possibly at a reduced rate depending on what Rantanen gets but could be a veteran leader, depth scorer, and PP2 net front presence for them.

Buying out Perry is exponentially more attractive than trading him for another bad contract with twice as much term remaining. Anaheim would gladly take Perry's buyout cost in years 3 and 4 over the final two years of Neal's contract.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
The only way Perry is coming to Montreal, is if Lindholm follows right behind him.

Also Ducks would need to take on Alzner.

Unfortunately, Perry will need one hell of a sweetener to get picked up by another team.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The only way Perry is coming to Montreal, is if Lindholm follows right behind him.

Also Ducks would need to take on Alzner.

Unfortunately, Perry will need one hell of a sweetener to get picked up by another team.

Lol good one.

Obviously no one is taking Perry's entire contract without some payment, but you are spewing nonsense.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Perry is overpaid, but he's not a useless player like many people seem to think. He's not the top line player he used to be, but there's still a spot for him on an NHL roster. I think the trade is more to do with the poor relationship with the GM rather than his inability to stick in the NHL. At this point, he's probably a 50 point, complimentary winger, which puts him about $3.5ish mil overpaid. If the Ducks retain on his contract, he's a positive asset still. Perry at about $4.5 mil for 2 years would be a relatively low risk, medium reward situation. He had almost 50 a year ago playing on a knee that needed to be fixed, now he's had a summer to rehab that knee. I think the healthier knee will offset the decline and of a year and he'll be back to that 45-50 point level.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He's had chemistry internationally with Benn, and Dallas could use help on the wing.

If they can't land Zucc I wouldn't mind them taking a flier on Perry.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Apparently bought a home in London Ontario.

He thought about not re-signing with the Ducks before and coming home to the Leafs, but the Leafs sucked. Maybe he considers closing his career with the Leafs? I am just speculating out loud here.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He’ll be bought out, then sign in LA so he doesn’t have to move.

He wants to move.

NHL star Corey Perry spends market-stunning $7.25M on London home

Apparently bought a home in London Ontario.

He thought about not re-signing with the Ducks before and coming home to the Leafs, but the Leafs sucked. Maybe he considers closing his career with the Leafs? I am just speculating out loud here.

I would say the Leafs are almost surely his preferred destination

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Do they have a cap dump with similar term that they could send back?

Not quite on Perry's level, no.

But they do have Martin Hanzal, and I'm sure you're familiar with Andrew Cogliano.

That's $8 mil in combined salary.

Hell, Dallas could even throw in Val Nichushkin at $2.95 mil.

How's that sound? :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad