WJC: Predict the Quarter Finals

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Canada and Sweden win comfortably. The Swiss will give Czechia a tough run, perhaps even OT. But after that I believe they progress to the final.
Canada, USA, Sweden and Czechia in the semifinals.
Gold: Canada
Silver: Czechia
Bronze: Depends on if the US offense shows up or not, if it does they will beat Sweden.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweden will easily crush Finland's Mickey Mouse Defense.
4-3 OT... no idea who wins though. That will be the match of the day along with the annual upset in one of the other 3 matches.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
After the way the Czechs have played, that would be a shame - they deserve better.

God bless Pope Benedict XVI. RIP.

They've been good, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at minimum a minor upset.

Slovakia could be a sneaky pick as well, especially with Canadas goaltending concerns. I don't think Sweden over Finald would be much of an "upset"

Realistically, the Czechs win but I didn't want to be too boring with my picks and pick all favorites.

Reactions: Czechboy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They've been good, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at minimum a minor upset.

Slovakia could be a sneaky pick as well, especially with Canadas goaltending concerns. I don't think Sweden over Finald would be much of an "upset"

Realistically, the Czechs win but I didn't want to be too boring with my picks and pick all favorites.
Fair enough.

There is usually an upset so... you never know. If the Czechs fall, Canada and the U.S. would likely meet in the final.

Reactions: TimeZone

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I agree.. Swede-Fin is match of the day and, regardless of who wins, it's not an upset.

There is ALWAYS an upset in quarters.. that leaves (by ranking) the Germans, Swiss or Slovaks poised for one and it wouldn't be suprising.

Swiss beat Czechs a week ago and have beat Finland. They won 3 matches and finished 4th. They are good.

Germans took Sweden to 1-0 with a very determined effort and great goaltending (they rested him after a period and a half yesterday)

Slovakia beat the US which is similar to Canada.

Last tourney the big upset was the 4 seed Czechs over 1 seed US. It happens all the time and going into a quarter thinking it's a 'lock' is just silly.lol

Reactions: TimeZone

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I hope the Swiss can pull off an upset but I doubt it.

Czechia
Canada
US
Sweden

Are you serious?

Last edited by a moderator:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why do you think so? I think it's entirely impossible...
You beat the US 5-2 and they are similar. Quarters are different then round robin.. more hits, more blocked shots and teen nerves can be something. Your goalie is doing very well. Home ice is rarely an advantage in elimination games. When that arena goes quiet, the home team feels it.

Don't get me wrong, Canada are the favs but if it's close going into the third, you gotta chance!

Also, maybe Baco pulls out his UFC shit on Bedard.lol

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
You beat the US 5-2 and they are similar. Quarters are different then round robin.. more hits, more blocked shots and teen nerves can be something. Your goalie is doing very well. Home ice is rarely an advantage in elimination games. When that arena goes quiet, the home team feels it.

Don't get me wrong, Canada are the favs but if it's close going into the third, you gotta chance!

Also, maybe Baco pulls out his UFC shit on Bedard.lol
I appreciate you´re trying to cheer Slovaks up – that´s nice of you –, however, I feel miserable anyway. Yesterday it was an existential question and we totally blew it. Let´s be real for a second then: we do not stand a chance against Canada with Bedard in the lead. That being said, our top generation won't even make the semi-finals and not only because of objective reasons (many injuries, no Slafkovsky), but also, and mainly, of miserable coaching.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Canada
US
Sweden
Czechia

US has the gimme game. Canada should roll. Czechia will be in for a fight but they‘ll score goals. Sweden is a coin flip for me but ill take them

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I have been reasonably confident about the Czechs beating Switzerland, despite the strong Swiss showing with three wins. But now that nearly everyone has predicted a Czech victory, I am starting to get nervous… We have a weird thing about mentally being much more comfortable with being the underdogs. Let’s hope our Czech boys don’t blow it after their excellent performances thus far. The coach keeps them grounded, hopefully he will continue to work his magic.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I have been reasonably confident about the Czechs beating Switzerland, despite the strong Swiss showing with three wins. But now that nearly everyone has predicted a Czech victory, I am starting to get nervous… We have a weird thing about mentally being much more comfortable with being the underdogs. Let’s hope our Czech boys don’t blow it after their excellent performances thus far. The coach keeps them grounded, hopefully he will continue to work his magic.
My ONLY fear is that Rulik overthinks this and changes the lineup and from hokej.cz it sounds like that is his plan. We played 3 full games and a period with the exact same group and they are healthy. Go with that again please. Only exception was 2 periods with Sapousek on line 1 and PP1 which was .. strange.

And you're right! Czechs are good underdogs and awful front runners! Not our nature.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I appreciate you´re trying to cheer Slovaks up – that´s nice of you –, however, I feel miserable anyway. Yesterday it was an existential question and we totally blew it. Let´s be real for a second then: we do not stand a chance against Canada with Bedard in the lead. That being said, our top generation won't even make the semi-finals and not only because of objective reasons (many injuries, no Slafkovsky), but also, and mainly, of miserable coaching.
You and Germany, never got all your guns at their peak at this tourney and it's a big shame because I think you both could've medalled if all your horses were lined up. Not that I'm saying you can't medal here!

Agree the coach doesn't seem to be the best!

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
Canada vs Slovakia - Canada W

U.S. vs Germany - US W

Sweden vs Finland - Finland W

Czechia vs the Swiss - Czech W

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If I was a Czechia fan, I be a little worried for one reason - they've done so much right, they are due for a hiccup. I hope Czechia wins because they've earned their (easy) path to the GMG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2