wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
JVR Zacha Pasta
Marchand Coyle DeBrusk
Skill/speed Geekie Frederic

Seems pretty obvious that is Monty’s initial take with Lauko, Boqvist, Merkulov and Lysell fighting over that third line spot. I’m just not comfortable with asking Geekie to run a defense first line or having to put Marchand and DeBrusk in more defensive situations instead of scoring situations and wish that Geekie or Merkulov would allow them to keep Coyle and Frederic together.

Montgomery should separate Pasta and JVR. He will find out quickly that it will not work.

Why? Bert wasn’t fleet of foot and his best asset was being good around the net. JVR is even slower but is also really good around the net.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think the 5on5 lines were fairly obvious. It's the power play I'm most curious about.

There are two open spots on the top PP; bumper and net front guy. Is Coyle going to be on the 1st PP because he's their best face-off guy? They could try him as the right shot bumper, but that doesn't exactly fit his skill set. JVR seems like the guy they brought in to be the left shot net front guy, but that pushes Zacha and/or JDB to PP2.

If they want to 'load up' the first unit as best they can, I'd think they'd have Coyle on the 1st PP to take the draw, but then have him be the net front guy, and then play Zacha in the bumper. That's a better fit for their skill-sets, but it flip flops the handedness the way they like it... Maybe that would be a good thing. Change up the plays they run. Pasta can fake 1timers and take shot-passes at Coyle's stick on the back door, or lay pucks out for Zacha's slot one-timer. The downside is you lose that quick pass from Marchand to the bumper for a 1timer. The other downside is you're kicking JDB to the 2nd PP with who? Geekie? Frederic? That's tough.

Last edited:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
JVR Zacha Pasta
Marchand Coyle DeBrusk
Skill/speed Geekie Frederic

Seems pretty obvious that is Monty’s initial take with Lauko, Boqvist, Merkulov and Lysell fighting over that third line spot. I’m just not comfortable with asking Geekie to run a defense first line or having to put Marchand and DeBrusk in more defensive situations instead of scoring situations and wish that Geekie or Merkulov would allow them to keep Coyle and Frederic together.

Why? Bert wasn’t fleet of foot and his best asset was being good around the net. JVR is even slower but is also really good around the net.
Bert, who I did not really like, is Lafleur compared to the rotting corpse of JVR. If you want to see an example of how a turtle can ruin a line, see Nick Ritchie in Toronto.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Please don't take offense , but did you pull a Billy Martin and pull that lineup out of a hat ?
I am not a McLaughlin guy either , but what are you giving Pasta is crazy.........and you don't have Boqvist in there..............I take it you are not into the defense because you stayed away from that, for that we are all grateful.........

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bert, who I did not really like, is Lafleur compared to the rotting corpse of JVR. If you want to see an example of how a turtle can ruin a line, see Nick Ritchie in Toronto.

I think JVR is ill suited for a shit team like the Flyers. He is reliant on everyone else getting the puck into his area. Will it work here? Who knows! Neither of us, I can say with confidence.

Reactions: JOKER 192

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think the 5on5 lines were fairly obvious. It's the power play I'm most curious about.

There are two open spots on the top PP; bumper and net front guy. Is Coyle going to be on the 1st PP because he's their best face-off guy? They could try him as the right shot bumper, but that doesn't exactly fit his skill set. JVR seems like the guy they brought in to be the left shot net front guy, but that pushes Zacha and/or JDB to PP2.

If they want to 'load up' the first unit as best they can, I'd think they'd have Coyle on the 1st PP to take the draw, but then have him be the net front guy, and then play Zacha in the bumper. That's a better fit for their skill-sets, but it flip flops the handedness the way they like it... Maybe that would be a good thing. Change up the plays they run. Pasta can fake 1timers and take shot-passes at Coyle's stick on the back door, or lay pucks out for Zacha's slot one-timer. The downside is you lose that quick pass from Marchand to the bumper for a 1timer. The other downside is you're kicking JDB to the 2nd PP with who? Geekie? Frederic? That's tough.

Or will they try a new setup entirely. Without a really good bumper threat, I am not sure if the teams somewhat stationary PP will work and Coyle has never shown a quick release like Bergeron had.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I

If you do pairs we have proven visual and statistical success

Marchand & DeBrusk
Zacha & Pastrnak
Frederic & Coyle

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I

If you do pairs we have proven visual and statistical success

Marchand & DeBrusk
Zacha & Pastrnak
Frederic & Coyle

Those are solid pairs- so it's who is third man in each. Brad and JDB is the toughest as who centers them? Geekie I guess is the option unless someone impresses in the role in camp.

Reactions: wintersej and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am not a McLaughlin guy either , but what are you giving Pasta is crazy.........and you don't have Boqvist in there..............I take it you are not into the defense because you stayed away from that, for that we are all grateful.........
You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Those are solid pairs- so it's who is third man in each. Brad and JDB is the toughest as who centers them? Geekie I guess is the option unless someone impresses in the role in camp.
Camp awaits

I throw Mwrkulov between them and see what happens

He’s very strong defensively and mature

Geekie I’d like to see go to RW with Coyle & Frederic. I can see it as a top 1-5 third line

JVR gets first shot at LW with Pasta - can always put Boqvist there since I think Lou said he was good with Zacha (I’m going to text him in a second to confirm or deny)

Merkulov has excelled at Big 10 OSU in 2021 and AHL in 2022….he’s got an absolute bomb of a shot - ridiculous One timer

Reactions: Dr Hook

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

I think Sweeney mentioned Geekie as someone who could play the bumper position on the PP when they signed him.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I see so many posts where Pasta is on the 2nd line. I always believed he was "demoted" to the "2nd line" to play with Krejci.
Now that Krejci is gone, wondering why he would not again be 1RW with maybe Zacha and Marchand since he has chemistry with both. If Coyle is indeed 2C then maybe Coyle plays with JVR and Debrusk. We'll see, but should be interesting whatever they try.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see so many posts where Pasta is on the 2nd line. I always believed he was "demoted" to the "2nd line" to play with Krejci.
Now that Krejci is gone, wondering why he would not again be 1RW with maybe Zacha and Marchand since he has chemistry with both. If Coyle is indeed 2C then maybe Coyle plays with JVR and Debrusk. We'll see, but should be interesting whatever they try.
Any line Pasta on is first line

Zacha has that Fred Stanfield, Krejci solid underrated game

Very smart guy

Spoke to one of bench coaches Saturday at Warrior event and he offered up what a good person and hockey player Zacha is

I kinda think the Bruins really like him lol

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah. Zacha and Pasta need a dirty work kind of guy. There are options there.

Coyle and Frederic need someone who can skate. There are options there.

Marchand and DeBrusk... I mean in my head I think they need someone who can be solid defensively and be a shot threat... but maybe there are other options and I am blinded by seeing them with Bergeron. But if they can get to a point where they have three effective lines instead of two... man what a boon.

Reactions: Kegs and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah. Zacha and Pasta need a dirty work kind of guy. There are options there.

Coyle and Frederic need someone who can skate. There are options there.

Marchand and DeBrusk... I mean in my head I think they need someone who can be solid defensively and be a shot threat... but maybe there are other options and I am blinded by seeing them with Bergeron. But if they can get to a point where they have three effective lines instead of two... man what a boon.

Agree- three lines working, and it's possible. I don't even think the guy between Brad and JDB needs to be a "top 6" guy, just someone that complements what they do and like you said, is defensively responsible. A Kuraly type would be fine, even. Maybe Merk, McL, Beecher, or ? could be the guy.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
The con here is that you now have Marchand on your matchup/shutdown line and you NEED to get scoring out of that Geekie line. Do you trust JVR Geekie Merkulov to do that?
I like Marchands defensive game a lot. I think it’s not a terrible idea. This team might not score as much as last years team but I think it’s going to be just as good defensively.

Marchand and DeBrusk... I mean in my head I think they need someone who can be solid defensively and be a shot threat
Marchand doesn’t need anyone. His 200 foot game is really good. Has a goal scorers shot and play making Vision. He is one of the most complete wingers in the league.

Reactions: BBruins

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think Sweeney mentioned Geekie as someone who could play the bumper position on the PP when they signed him.
Yeah, and he can win that first FO. That may be an option/answer to the bumper question.

The downside is that if you have both Geekie and JVR on the same power play that's a pretty watered down unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad