Boston Bruins Predict the Lineup & Lines discussion

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
JVR - Zacha - Debrusk
Marchand - Geekie - Pastrnak
Lucic - Coyle - Frederic (God that line sounds terrible lol)
Lauko - ? - ?

Defense, whatever Monty spins.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Marchand-Zacha-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Coyle-Frederic
JVR-Geekie-Boqvist
Lucic-Brown-Lauko

Gryz-Mac
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

I've got Boqvist penciled in on third line as a RW, I believe he's spent some time there with both Haula and Hughes as his centre in New Jersey.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Marchand-Zacha-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Coyle-Frederic
JVR-Geekie-Boqvist
Lucic-Brown-Lauko

Gryz-Mac
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

I've got Boqvist penciled in on third line as a RW, I believe he's spent some time there with both Haula and Hughes as his centre in New Jersey.
Don't hate these line. My concern is the skating abilities of Geekie and JVR playing together. Neither one is very fast. Dee and goaltending are solid.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
JVR - Zacha - Pastrnak
Boqvist - Geekie - Frederic
Lucic - Brown - Lauko
X: McLauglin, Steen

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Shattenkirk
X: Mitchell

Ullmark- Swayman
This is exactly the lineup I was going to predict.

If there was ever a time to “play the kids” it would be this season. However, the Bruins have a well-established track record of opting to go with their vets.

I have to imagine Monty keeps the Marchand/Debrusk and Zacha/Pasta pairs in tact, given the chemistry they’ve shown together. Coyle and JVR slide into the remaining two slots to round out a ghastly looking top 6.

The third line is like a flea market version of the one we saw last season, replacing one big-bodied center (Coyle) for another (Geekie) and one zone entry guy (Hall) for another (Boqvist).

Fourth line is pretty straightforward. Lauko keeps his spot on one of the wings. Lucic would be a train wreck anywhere else in the lineup and I can’t see him sitting, at least to start, so he goes there. And as much as I dislike the idea of playing a borderline NHLer in Brown, I don’t know who else would make sense at 4C. At least he’s good at faceoffs.

Defense is the same as last year pre-deadline, except swapping Clifton for Shattenkirk. I would love nothing more than to see Lohrei force his way onto the team so we’re not forced to watch Derek “The Human Traffic Cone” Forbort on a regular basis, even if he eats pucks on the PK.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Back to the days of being short a top six winger for the 1st or 2nd line.

Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
Boqvist-Zacha-Pastrnak
JVR-Geekie-Frederic
Lucic-Beecher-Lauko

Defense is likely as last season with Shattenkirk replacing Clifton.

Swayman becomes the 1A this season.

A borderline career AHLer in Brown being written into the 4th line so easily is rather despairing as well. Similar to Reilly. Broke into the NHL with low tier teams... 6'1, not large. Bruins must see what a prospect in Beecher can provide before the last resort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guelph Bruin

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The team has a lot of bottom-6 depth, it's probably going to take a few weeks of different combos until Monty settles on the right ones.

It's likely that guys will end up on lines you don't expect, but here's what my first attempt would be and we'd adjust from there

Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Zacha-Pasta
Lauko-Geekie-Frederic
Lucic-McLaughlin-Boqvist/Brown

I'm sure people will slip in and out on the bottom line, adding in Greer, Steen, Beecher, Farinacci for cups of coffee here and there. I'd keep Debrusk on the off-wing for now for continuity with Marchand. I also keep Zacha-Pasta together

A line that I'd love to see them throw out when they need a jolt of energy, but probably doesn't make any sense as a regular pairing is Lucic-Freddy-Lauko. They'd be a ball of fire.

Something that's hit me now that I hadn't really taken into consideration with the retirements is that without Krejci, Bergy, and Hall, our powerplay is probably going to suck hard.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm declaring that whatever line Pasta is on is the 1st line,

JVR/Zacha/Pasta
Marchand/Coyle/JDB
Boqvist/Reekie/Frederic
Looch/Brown(Beecher)/Lauko

Gryz/MacAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Shattenbort

The 4th line will be a continuous shuffle of Looch, Brown, Beecher, Lauko, Greer etc to keep them all ready but also rested to push the pace as much as possible when they are in.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lauko -- Zacha -- Pasta

Marchand -- Geekie -- DeBrusk

Boqvist -- Coyle -- JVR

Lucic -- Frederic -- Brown

- CzechMate 2.0 with Lauko next to Zacha and Pasta. Lauko gives the line a tenacious forechecker who can do the dirty work and the skating to keep up in transition

- If Marchand and Pasta can turn Riley Nash into a 40 point point producer, he and DeBrusk should be able to work with Geekie, who actually has potential to produce points if he's put in the right situations

- Coyle's line would get a lot of heavy defensive zone starts

- Go hit something. Lucic helps bring Frederic's game along

It's not perfect, but that's what I got. Lines are always going to fluctuate, even moreso this year with the potential of new players and some youth getting into the lineup.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
JVR-Zacha-Pasta

Marchand-Geekie-Debrusk

Lucic-Coyle-Frederic

Lauko-Beecher/McLaughlin-McLaughlin-Boqvist

Boqvist/McLaughlin

Brown to PVD as intended.

I don’t feel good about this at all yet, and I feel this is premature given the timing, so I reserve the right to change everything except Zacha-Pasta as a combo

Grizz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Shattenkirk

Zboril

Forbort left on the side of a dark back road in Lee.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The amount of Geekie above Coyle posts shock me.

That's it. That's my post.
I don’t think it’s that big a deal. Pretty much interchangeable. You need Coyle to take tough minutes and you don’t want that from Marchand all year. It could be Merkulov instead of Geekie there but consider it a scoring line, and Coyle’s line a grinding line.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I don’t think it’s that big a deal. Pretty much interchangeable. You need Coyle to take tough minutes and you don’t want that from Marchand all year. It could be Merkulov instead of Geekie there but consider it a scoring line, and Coyle’s line a grinding line.

I think Marchy-Coyle-Debrusk is just gonna be their new 63-37-74 light. So however they used that, they'll use this. So top 2. They won't mind at all playing it in their dzone every big faceoff and every tough matchup.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think Marchy-Coyle-Debrusk is just gonna be their new 63-37-74 light. So however they used that, they'll use this. So top 2. They won't mind at all playing it in their dzone every big faceoff and every tough matchup.
I get it but I disagree. With the above reservation that I can and will change my mind at any time.

Reactions: JOKER 192

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
JVR-Zacha-Pasta

Marchand-Geekie-Debrusk

Lucic-Coyle-Frederic

Lauko-Beecher/McLaughlin-McLaughlin-Boqvist

Boqvist/McLaughlin

Brown to PVD as intended.

I don’t feel good about this at all yet, and I feel this is premature given the timing, so I reserve the right to change everything except Zacha-Pasta as a combo

Grizz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Shattenkirk

Zboril

Forbort left on the side of a dark back road in Lee.

Lucic with Coyle and Freddy is interesting stylistically and traditionally ( big, physically imposing third line ). I do think Lucic can hit double digits in goals and put up some decent third line numbers with the right linemates. But they dumped Coyle in the defensive zone 70 percent of his non neutral zone/during play starts and Lucic has never had more than 44 percent ( his rookie year ).

Reactions: Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Lucic with Coyle and Freddy is interesting stylistically and traditionally ( big, physically imposing third line ). I do think Lucic can hit double digits in goals and put up some decent third line numbers with the right linemates. But they dumped Coyle in the defensive zone 70 percent of his non neutral zone/during play starts and Lucic has never had more than 44 percent ( his rookie year ).
I predicted a bigger stastical season for Coyle based primarily on believing that his deployment will look very little like his 70% defensive zone starts of last season.

I also think you'll see Lucic lining up on any of the lines 2-4 throughout the course of the season.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Marchand - Coyle - JDB
JVR - Zacha - Pastrnak
Boqvist - Geekie - Frederic
Lucic - Brown - Lauko
X: McLauglin, Steen

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Shattenkirk
X: Mitchell

Ullmark- Swayman

This, to me, is the "no surprises" line up.

Basically, if no one outperforms their current stock in training camp then these should be the lines.

It would really be cool if Lysell could take that huge leap and get JVR out of the top 6 IMO. The playmaking between Lysell and Marchand would be nuts to watch.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I predicted a bigger stastical season for Coyle based primarily on believing that his deployment will look very little like his 70% defensive zone starts of last season.

I also think you'll see Lucic lining up on any of the lines 2-4 throughout the course of the season.

I agree with the idea that Coyle is the best option currently for 2nd line center. But I also think he's the best 3rd line center they have and they need someone who can handle the heavy defensive zone minutes. I guess it all depends on if they feel Freddy or Geekie can handle it, but I think the best course of action is to put the younger kid with potential offensive upside with offensive players and situations on the second line and put the guy who's been use to being the third line center as the 3c. Round pegs, round holes.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Lauko -- Zacha -- Pasta

Marchand -- Geekie -- DeBrusk

Boqvist -- Coyle -- JVR

Lucic -- Frederic -- Brown

- CzechMate 2.0 with Lauko next to Zacha and Pasta. Lauko gives the line a tenacious forechecker who can do the dirty work and the skating to keep up in transition

- If Marchand and Pasta can turn Riley Nash into a 40 point point producer, he and DeBrusk should be able to work with Geekie, who actually has potential to produce points if he's put in the right situations

- Coyle's line would get a lot of heavy defensive zone starts

- Go hit something. Lucic helps bring Frederic's game along

It's not perfect, but that's what I got. Lines are always going to fluctuate, even moreso this year with the potential of new players and some youth getting into the lineup.

Outside the box thinking - Lauko in the top six with speed over the slow, aging JVR. Well done.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I agree with the idea that Coyle is the best option currently for 2nd line center. But I also think he's the best 3rd line center they have and they need someone who can handle the heavy defensive zone minutes. I guess it all depends on if they feel Freddy or Geekie can handle it, but I think the best course of action is to put the younger kid with potential offensive upside with offensive players and situations on the second line and put the guy who's been use to being the third line center as the 3c. Round pegs, round holes.

Or they change the deployment. In 2011 the Marchand line had almost 60% Dzone starts. Why not go back to that model? Free up the Pasta line for lots of OZ starts, split the 3rd and 4th line starts.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad