Boston Bruins Predict the Lineup & Lines discussion

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I like Marchands defensive game a lot. I think it’s not a terrible idea. This team might not score as much as last years team but I think it’s going to be just as good defensively.

Marchand doesn’t need anyone. His 200 foot game is really good. Has a goal scorers shot and play making Vision. He is one of the most complete wingers in the league.

Fair on Marchand, but you at least need to play him with someone you are OK giving a quantity of time on ice to in the latter scenario of him being with DeBrusk.

Reactions: Kegs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Any line Pasta on is first line

Zacha has that Fred Stanfield, Krejci solid underrated game

Very smart guy

Spoke to one of bench coaches Saturday at Warrior event and he offered up what a good person and hockey player Zacha is

I kinda think the Bruins really like him lol
I do

Ok picked up JVR in my fantasy league I'm stoked for this guy . 1 million bargain basement contract and will potentially put up plus 20 goals in top 6 role. Let's effin go!
I was and am against this signing , but I hope you are smarter than me, I know you are so you could be right...........

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This is how I'd like to see the power play units shake out...

PP1
Coyle
Pastrnak Zacha Marchand
McAvoy

PP2
JVR
Shattenkirk Geekie DeBrusk
Lindholm​

Coyle on with the first unit to take the face-off and be the net front guy. Zacha plays the bump and can run quick passing plays with Pasta. Maybe this makes Pasta more dangerous because if people overplay his shot he can set up Zacha, shoot wide for back door tips off Coyle or go back door to Marchand.

Geekie takes the face-off on the second unit and plays the bumper where he can use his quick release. DeBrusk runs the second PP from the wall which is a new look for him but I always thought he was miscast as a net front guy. The second unit needs two defensemen so when the PP expires you've got 2 D on the ice at ES.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is how I'd like to see the power play units shake out...

PP1
Coyle
Pastrnak Zacha Marchand
McAvoy

PP2
JVR
Shattenkirk Geekie DeBrusk
Lindholm​

Coyle on with the first unit to take the face-off and be the net front guy. Zacha plays the bump and can run quick passing plays with Pasta. Maybe this makes Pasta more dangerous because if people overplay his shot he can set up Zacha, shoot wide for back door tips off Coyle or go back door to Marchand.

Geekie takes the face-off on the second unit and plays the bumper where he can use his quick release. DeBrusk runs the second PP from the wall which is a new look for him but I always thought he was miscast as a net front guy. The second unit needs two defensemen so when the PP expires you've got 2 D on the ice at ES.

Just wish Marchand had more of a one timer in this setup.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I do

I was and am against this signing , but I hope you are smarter than me, I know you are so you could be right...........
Like your takes Hookslide - good sense of humor, humble, good points

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm always looking for more speed and the best thing that can happen out of camp is that some key prospects totally outperform the $1 million contract folk.

Marchand - Coyle - JDB
Merk - Zacha - Pastrnak
Boqvist - Geekie - Topo
Lucic - Fred - Lauko
*Richard, Beecher, JVR

Greer - waived

*Richard is new here and my gut is telling me he surprises the most. With almost 9 less games than AHL point leaders he remained in the top 5 and held his own playing for the habitants. He has the NHL experience/confidence. His AHL coach had nothing but praise for the kid ... calling him the most important player on the team. A team with some pretty darn good prospects...habitants being so bad for so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm always looking for more speed and the best thing that can happen out of camp is that some key prospects totally outperform the $1 million contract folk.

Marchand - Coyle - JDB
Merk - Zacha - Pastrnak
Boqvist - Geekie - Topo
Lucic - Fred - Lauko
*Richard, Beecher, JVR

Greer - waived

*Richard is new here and my gut is telling me he surprises the most. With almost 9 less games than AHL point leaders he remained in the top 5 and held his own playing for the habitants. He has the NHL experience/confidence. His AHL coach had nothing but praise for the kid ... calling him the most important player on the team. A team with some pretty darn good prospects...habitants being so bad for so long.
Richard is someone I have mentioned a few times but then tend to forget about him , thanks for refreshing my mind a bit.........

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree. All that attention on Pasta is going to create a lot of open looks for Marchand. He's scored some goals on catch and release wrist shots though. Maybe that's enough.

Is that really a good thing?

I'm not sure why you want to make one of the best "OV spot" one-timers in the league and make it less of a weapon/option to get more looks for Zacha and an aging Marchand who really isn't able to one-time the puck with any consistency. For his height, Marchand uses a very long stick, which helps on defensive side but makes it hard to one-time pucks where he can't get to pucks right in his feet where you want the puck on the one-tee. Hence a lot of catch and release.

Just put Geekie or Coyle in the bumper (both have pretty good shots, easily as good as Bergeron) and not re-invent the entire set-up that has helped make Pasta one of the world's best goal scorers.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Is that really a good thing?

I'm not sure why you want to make one of the best "OV spot" one-timers in the league and make it less of a weapon/option to get more looks for Zacha and an aging Marchand who really isn't able to one-time the puck with any consistency. For his height, Marchand uses a very long stick, which helps on defensive side but makes it hard to one-time pucks where he can't get to pucks right in his feet where you want the puck on the one-tee. Hence a lot of catch and release.

Just put Geekie or Coyle in the bumper (both have pretty good shots, easily as good as Bergeron) and not re-invent the entire set-up that has helped make Pasta one of the world's best goal scorers.
I’m not saying they should take away from Pasta or make him less of a weapon. I actually think he should have the puck more. Keep the one timer as his go to but if teams start overplaying his shot, give him outlets and options.

I think if we try to keep the old set up, and Geekie and/or JVR are out there teams are just going to plant someone between Pasta and the goal to take away his shot, and take their chances with the other guys beating them.

Reactions: wintersej

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The pain from April’s shocking first-round exit in the Stanley Cup Playoffs hasn’t lessened for Charlie Coyle.

The 31-year-old center doesn’t expect it to subside any time soon.

“I don’t think we’ll ever get over that, honestly,” Coyle said during an appearance on WEEI’s “Gresh and Fauria” show during Tuesday’s WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon. “It’s just, how quickly can you put it behind you, learn from it and move on. Use it as motivation. It never goes away. How do you use that, change it to fuel to fire you up, right? That’s how it goes.”

Coyle will need all of the motivation he can get in what stands to be a pivotal season for the Weymouth native.

With both Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci hanging up their skates this summer, the 2023-24 Bruins have a glaring hole at the top of their forward corps with both top-six center spots vacant.

As expected, Coyle is expected to earn a bump up in Boston’s lineup to open the season, with Bruins coach Jim Montgomery telling the Boston Herald that he plans to slot Coyle next to Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk once training camp commences next month.

Fellow center Pavel Zacha is also in line for more minutes and responsibilities as Krejci’s replacement on the second line, with the Czech forward expected to skate alongside David Pastrnak and James van Riemsdyk, based on Montgomery’s comments.

Coyle acknowledged that the Bruins don’t have the personnel to completely replace both Bergeron and Krejci’s talents and presence, at least on an individual basis.

But if Coyle and several other Bruins forwards can take incremental steps in their larger roles in 2023-24, the veteran centerman believes that the Bruins still have the means to complement what should already be a very stout defensive unit and goaltending tandem between Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman.

“They’re world-class players. And we’re gonna miss them,” Coyle said of Bergeron and Krejci. “We all wish they could play, they’ve done so much for this city. … [But] those are job opportunities right now, right? So that gets me fired up and gets our team fired up too. … We want to solidify that culture that those guys brought and that’s why our organization, our team, is good.

“It’s because of that culture, how we treat everyone, the standard that’s set, the work ethic, all those little things is what those guys brought. So when those guys are gone, how do we emulate it, right? So we have a lot of guys step up, kind of put their hand in and make sure everyone’s pulling a little bit. Because you can’t replace those guys individually, you can’t replace Bergy and Krejci.”

Even though Coyle has largely excelled as a puck-possessing center on Boston’s third line during his five years with the Bruins, his viability as a top-six center is a bit of a question mark.

Still, Coyle believes he’s ready for the greater responsibilities set to fall on his shoulders this season.

He won’t be the only one handed such a tall task of replacing a Bruins legend.

“No one’s gonna be a Bergeron, but we can all put our hand in and make sure we pull the rope a little more and we have guys step up,” Coyle explained. “We’ve got guys who are a year older and have more experience who can bring their own leadership in whatever way they can and that’s what we need.

“We got new guys coming in, some veteran guys coming in too that can help. So that’s a tough thing when you lose guys like that, of that caliber. How do you replace them? You can’t do it solely, but it’s a team effort. And I like our team … If we’ve got to claw our way a little more this year? So be it. That’s gonna help us in the long run come playoff time.”

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m not saying they should take away from Pasta or make him less of a weapon. I actually think he should have the puck more. Keep the one timer as his go to but if teams start overplaying his shot, give him outlets and options.

I think if we try to keep the old set up, and Geekie and/or JVR are out there teams are just going to plant someone between Pasta and the goal to take away his shot, and take their chances with the other guys beating them.

I always felt the 2022-23 set-up the right-shot in the bumper was a distraction to allow more passsing lanes to get the puck east-west over to Pasta.

The right shot in the bumper was the key. But it wasn't like Bergeron had a cannon. He rarely missed the net but he also rarely put everything into the wind-up. Kind of a half-slapper. I think Geekie or Coyle can do what he did from that perspective. I think Geekie is ideal here as Coyle and Zacha will likely also be seeing PK duty along with heavier 5 on 5 minutes.

Meanwhile if there is one thing that JVR does very well, it's operate down low by the net to the left of the goaltender. He can still finish and make plays down low. It's everything else (skating, defensive play) that concerns me with him.

With the anticipated drop in 5 on 5 offense, they may need their PP to be cooking now more than ever.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I always felt the 2022-23 set-up the right-shot in the bumper was a distraction to allow more passsing lanes to get the puck east-west over to Pasta.

The right shot in the bumper was the key. But it wasn't like Bergeron had a cannon. He rarely missed the net but he also rarely put everything into the wind-up. Kind of a half-slapper. I think Geekie or Coyle can do what he did from that perspective. I think Geekie is ideal here as Coyle and Zacha will likely also be seeing PK duty along with heavier 5 on 5 minutes.

Meanwhile if there is one thing that JVR does very well, it's operate down low by the net to the left of the goaltender. He can still finish and make plays down low. It's everything else (skating, defensive play) that concerns me with him.

With the anticipated drop in 5 on 5 offense, they may need their PP to be cooking now more than ever.
I would say that the bumper play with Bergeron was more than a distraction, it was a real option that other teams had to respect. Bergeron averaged 10 goals and 20 points from that spot. The fact that it was a threat is what opened up lanes for Pasta and allowed teams to forget about him.

I'm not sure Pasta gets the same looks with Geekie in that spot, at least not until Geekie starts making teams pay for ignoring him. It also feels like a little too much too soon for Geekie. Geekie has 3 PP goals in his 180 game NHL career. Why not let him play that role on the 2nd unit until he proves he's effective at it.

I agree that JVR is still good around the net, and that's one of the reasons they brought him in. If they stick with the old formula I can definitely see him getting first crack at the net front job.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would say that the bumper play with Bergeron was more than a distraction, it was a real option that other teams had to respect. Bergeron averaged 10 goals and 20 points from that spot. The fact that it was a threat is what opened up lanes for Pasta and allowed teams to forget about him.

I'm not sure Pasta gets the same looks with Geekie in that spot, at least not until Geekie starts making teams pay for ignoring him. It also feels like a little too much too soon for Geekie. Geekie has 3 PP goals in his 180 game NHL career. Why not let him play that role on the 2nd unit until he proves he's effective at it.

I agree that JVR is still good around the net, and that's one of the reasons they brought him in. If they stick with the old formula I can definitely see him getting first crack at the net front job.

Then I'd say use Coyle then. Wasn't there something where it was said Coyle had one of the better shots on the team?

I don't want to downplay that Bergeron was simply a distraction, he was a threat. But what he was doing IMO was fairly simplistic. Get it off quickly and on-net. He sacrificed velocity for accuracy. Didn't have to be a rocket, just hit the 4x6 and see what happens. Sometimes he'd beat the goalie clean, other times generate rebounds and scrambles. He rarely flubbed the one-tee, always getting solid wood on the puck.

I still think the bigger issue is the top of the umbrella. I'm really hoping Shattenkirk can do what Clifton couldn't in terms of taking some of the PP duty away from McAvoy and Lindholm and leave them fresher for 5 on 5 play and defensive assignments. Neither has ever lit the world on fire manning the PP point.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
As expected, Coyle is expected to earn a bump up in Boston’s lineup to open the season, with Bruins coach Jim Montgomery telling the Boston Herald that he plans to slot Coyle next to Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk once training camp commences next month.
Must've missed this article when it came out, but it confirms what a lot of people have assumed. The first iteration of the top 6 in camp will be JVR-Zacha-Pasta, Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk. Way I see it we have 4 legit top 6 players; Pasta, Marchand, Debrusk, and Zacha. Splitting those 4 up into duos across the top 2 lines and then filling the gaps always made the most sense to me, so glad to see Monty agrees.

Will say that I really, really hope someone can beat out at least one of JVR or Coyle in the top 6 though, I'd be a lot more confident in the 3rd line if we had one of those 2 stabilizing it a bit. Merkulov can play either LW or C, so he could be a candidate for either. Hopefully he sees that the opportunity to make the roster is there and pushes hard in camp.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Marchand - Coyle - JDB
Merk - Zacha - Pastrnak
Boqvist - Geekie - Topo
Lucic - Fred - Lauko
*Richard, Beecher, JVR

Greer - waived

Coyle 1st line, oof.
Merk maybe one day not yet
Same for Topo

I get slotting in the prospects hoping there is a diamond in the rough among them but if just one of them can slot in the top 9 or anywhere on D mid season we should be delighted.

I think it's all a least a full season premature. I'm optimistic about ,

Lohrie but he's going to need at least 1 season maybe 2 In the AHL to max out his potential.
Lysell is gonna need to
1) put on some muscle , it will be important in his case that it be lean muscle he can't have the extra weight slowing him down.
2) Also needs work on the defensive side of the game .

Merk looks good as well , his time line is unpredictable but I would bet a full season in the AHL would do wonders for him. To me he's an ingima, he can be anything from a 2nd line C to carrer AHLer and anything in between but I think we have an NHLer here.

Poitras , I'd love to get intusiastic about this player and he did take a remarkable step forward last season but I'm gonna have to wait and see on this one. Undersized player who skating is average at best is starting from quite a step back . Especially in the C position.
I would love to see him pull a Bergy and I hope he does but I'm gonna temper my expectations.

Topo and Loco gonna need more data.

Suffice it to say that while our prospects pool isn't as dire as guys like Pronman and company like to make it , there isn't likely to be any high end talent in there either.

I'm counting on a least 2 of these guys to be in the lineup next season, hopefully more. It would go a long way if they can fill in the lineup with ELC's allowing them to then aquire some top end talent in the top 6 somewhere in FA.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Then I'd say use Coyle then. Wasn't there something where it was said Coyle had one of the better shots on the team?

I don't want to downplay that Bergeron was simply a distraction, he was a threat. But what he was doing IMO was fairly simplistic. Get it off quickly and on-net. He sacrificed velocity for accuracy. Didn't have to be a rocket, just hit the 4x6 and see what happens. Sometimes he'd beat the goalie clean, other times generate rebounds and scrambles. He rarely flubbed the one-tee, always getting solid wood on the puck.

I still think the bigger issue is the top of the umbrella. I'm really hoping Shattenkirk can do what Clifton couldn't in terms of taking some of the PP duty away from McAvoy and Lindholm and leave them fresher for 5 on 5 play and defensive assignments. Neither has ever lit the world on fire manning the PP point.
I watched G3 last night because I was curious what they did without Bergeron or Krejci on the PP and they did use Zacha as the bumper. So that was interesting. Shows they aren't married to a RH bumper for Marchand.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Zacha & Coyle 2-0 No Bergeron and/or Krejci in playoffs

Bergeron 0-3 (herniated disc)
Krejci 1-3 (back/shoulder)

Bergeron & Krejci together 0-2

Zacha & Coyle 2 road wins 10-4 goals

@Dr Quincy (posts were deleted I put on wrong thread)

You were correct Krejci played games 1 and 2; did not play 3-5 and returned 6 and 7

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I watched G3 last night because I was curious what they did without Bergeron or Krejci on the PP and they did use Zacha as the bumper. So that was interesting. Shows they aren't married to a RH bumper for Marchand.
I taped 3-5 and they could have won every game by minimum 3 goals

Aside - Merkulov is incredible on PP. His one timer is Pastrnak level he also is excellent playmaker

Will be interesting to see if can keep up with pace of these guys - he did in best conference in college and then last year in AHL

Hands, shot, brains, coach said was best defensive forward - not Beecher, only 5’11” but that’s where Spooner was

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Must've missed this article when it came out, but it confirms what a lot of people have assumed. The first iteration of the top 6 in camp will be JVR-Zacha-Pasta, Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk. Way I see it we have 4 legit top 6 players; Pasta, Marchand, Debrusk, and Zacha. Splitting those 4 up into duos across the top 2 lines and then filling the gaps always made the most sense to me, so glad to see Monty agrees.

Will say that I really, really hope someone can beat out at least one of JVR or Coyle in the top 6 though, I'd be a lot more confident in the 3rd line if we had one of those 2 stabilizing it a bit. Merkulov can play either LW or C, so he could be a candidate for either. Hopefully he sees that the opportunity to make the roster is there and pushes hard in camp.
Coyle is a 40-50 pt C in the NHL.

I just don't think anyone in camp is going to show so much that they'd start over a proven, given 40-50 pt C who also plays D fairly well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Coyle is a 40-50 pt C in the NHL.

I just don't think anyone in camp is going to show so much that they'd start over a proven, given 40-50 pt C who also plays D fairly well.
I’d put the over under at 47 if a Vegas line maker

My best guess is Sweeney & Neely have games 3 and 4 on an endless loop and will give Coyle an opportunity between Marchand and DeBrusk

Ideally in my view I’d like a Frederic- Coyle- Geekie line which was probably the hope if Bergeron returned

Reactions: Kegs and dugg133

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad