Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'd rather pay him $10M per year and keep it a 5 year deal than pay him then an 8 year deal for a soon to be 30 year old.

Well would you give up 20 million if you didnt have to? 5x10 vs 8x8.75 is no comparison. Might as well wish for a unicorn ride.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Pay Josi but do not over pay. Preds can’t afford to join the madness on the overpriced Dmen. If his demands are out of sight then they’ll need to trade him. For the record, he’s one of my favorite players.

Reactions: NNCbama

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pay Josi but do not over pay. Preds can’t afford to join the madness on the overpriced Dmen. If his demands are out of sight then they’ll need to trade him. For the record, he’s one of my favorite players.

I disagree. You pay what it takes to keep him. Trading him now significantly closes our window. We wont be in this position again for years

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I disagree. You pay what it takes to keep him. Trading him now significantly closes our window. We wont be in this position again for years
Oh, I know what you mean. My point is the Preds aren’t rich like a lot of franchises so they’ve got to recognize that. So does Josi.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Oh, I know what you mean. My point is the Preds aren’t rich like a lot of franchises so they’ve got to recognize that. So does Josi.

We're rich enough to spend to the cap. Outside of a signing bonus being paid out during a potential lockout there aren't any financial issues that should be stopping us.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We're rich enough to spend to the cap. Outside of a signing bonus being paid out during a potential lockout there aren't any financial issues that should be stopping us.

Exactly. And worst case scenario when we have to commit to a rebuild in 4 years or so someone will take him off our hands with some retention

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Well, if you think so but this spending to the cap is relatively new and being done betting on the Cup payoff. I hope it does. Nothing would please me more. But if it doesn’t we’ll find out how rich the Preds are and I fear that time. But maybe all this is just needless worry and he’ll sign and Preds will move on. I hope so and soon.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think you trade him now, pretty much no matter what. Things are a little more dire than that... you pretty much have to keep him this season no matter what, assuming anyway that our season doesn't go off the rails.

If we lost him as a UFA... well, that would suck, but I still wouldn't hand him a blank check, even in the face of that possibility. Pietrangelo and maybe Krug are potential UFA replacements? There are a few other patchwork types like Barrie, Brodie, or whoever. I'd much rather just keep Josi. But so far I just don't think he has shown that he's a $10M player.

There's definitely an argument to be made vis-a-vis "do you want to pay Josi $2M more than you should vs. not having him at all". $2M isn't a lot on a salary cap that goes to $84M next season, and probably goes over $100M at some point in the 8 years this contract might stretch out to. I can definitely see how this has dragged out, anyway. It would have been real nice if Josi just signed off on that 8x8 deal we all would like. But it's reasonable this is dragging out a little.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I still say trade him. He's not a guy who will put the team on his back guy. He's a solid to above average guy at this point. If he doesn't sign soon at a decent price, move him for a few other guys to plug in.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I still say trade him. He's not a guy who will put the team on his back guy. He's a solid to above average guy at this point. If he doesn't sign soon at a decent price, move him for a few other guys to plug in.

He’s a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. You don’t move him.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
I agree he doesn’t put the team on his back (prime example, our PP last year). But he’s certainly more than solid to above average.

I remember the days when guys like pronger, Stevens, lidstrom were dominant dmen on both ends of the ice. It’s like those types of guys don’t exist anymore.

Josi is certainly towards the top of the dmen in the NHL but paying him $10m seems like a big stretch.

Wish we had Seth Jones.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess technically there is no rush if they are truly mutually amenable to Josi returning and all. Just... it would be nice to be able to close this thread and have NO worries instead of this one worry lingering. Please? It would make a nice start to the season even nicer...
:hbday:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Friedman said this in today's 31 thoughts:

One negotiation that’s hit a snag: Nashville’s Roman Josi. There was momentum in the summer; that’s stopped. Unless you’re actually in the room, you’re never sure if it’s something serious or two sides grinding away. But there is surprise it isn’t done yet.

Pretty sure we could have guessed that. Although there was momentum at one point apparently.

31 Thoughts: Fast hockey, big personalities define start of NHL season - Sportsnet.ca

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Josi has all the leverage and he knows it.

Can't blame him. He's good.
It occurs to me that all the “I want to be here” and “ I want to finish my career here” type talk is just so much political correctness by Josi’s camp.
Occasionally a club mortgages the future on a single player. Yes, Josi is very, very good but he’s not that player. I think his camp thinks he is!

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It occurs to me that all the “I want to be here” and “ I want to finish my career here” type talk is just so much political correctness by Josi’s camp.
Occasionally a club mortgages the future on a single player. Yes, Josi is very, very good but he’s not that player. I think his camp thinks he is!
Josi has always been at least partially in the shadow of somebody here all the time... Weber and Subban primarily... I'd think that now he's basically got the whole spotlight to himself he'd be even more inclined to want to stay. But who knows. I agree that he is not the magnitude of player to get a completely blank check. Not at 29 anyway.

Probably he should not have signed for 7 years on the current deal... just when he was breaking out. It was a great discount for us that he did. But I don't think that means I want to be paying Josi $10M when he's 36, 37, 38 just to make up for that mistake.

If he wants to maximize his AAV maybe we have to think about trimming him back to 5 or 6 years? For 8 years, I think $8M is fair. But if he wants to climb another notch, I think we have to knock the last couple years out of the equation. 5x$9.5M would be fine with me. Or 8x$8M. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad